FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[KERNEL] | WildKernel v013 | Featurlicous | Tame Companion | January 29th

1,784 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,608

By Emmanuel U, Recognized Developer on 28th May 2014, 04:03 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from Emmanuel U: My Kernel Companion app Tame works great with this! Check it out
WildKernel
for T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II

Go check out Tame! It goes great with this and it handles OTA updates for this kernel.

This is a Linux based (3.0.101) Kernel which is maintained by me kept inline with the Cyangenmod Kernel so this is compatible with ALL the latest KitKat Roms (unless otherwise stated in the ROM).

Please report anything good and bad so that I know what to keep and what not to keep for the next release. This also helps me push out fixes faster when presented with lots of information (such as logs etc.).

Please see changelogs for an in-depth look at features. Also take a look at the screenshots for a sneak peek.
Feeling like a critic? Leave a review!

Link broken? Try one of the mirrors, Still a no go? Goto my signature and click the file backups link, then navigate to what you were looking for.

v013: AFH
TRU Mirrors: #1 / #2

All Releases: AFH | TRU Mirrors

Changelog:
Code:
January 29, 2015 - ver013 (KK Final)
- Stability Update
- Input Boost updated from upstream
- Low Power Flash terminology updated to catch more scenarios for people with weak batteries.
- O2 Optimizations
- BLN small fix to avoid potential RR
- Retain CPU Policy stability patches

November 6, 2014 - ver012
- Undervoltage is now optional, and disabled by default. (Use Tame or SysFS to configure)
- Sultan's Low Power Flash (fixes reboots with camera flash with low battery)
- Lot's of under-the-hood cleanup (+1mb of RAM hah)
- Deadline updates from upstream
- Intellidemand updated to v4.2 (was v2.0, this is now my personal choice)
- Added SmartassV2

October 20, 2014 - ver011 Build #3
- Fixed Boot Issues regarding Thermald, should boot on every rom now.
- Each CPU can now hold an individual governor (when sync is off)

October 14, 2014 - ver011 Build #2
- Added Support for Skyrocket Every change listed below applies!
- Lil more CPU patches

October 12, 2014 - ver011
- Add Panel Undervolt interface (see Tame for control)
- Sultan's CPU Boost patches
- My hopefully final patch on msm cpufreq driver
- Fully dynamic ramdisk (allows F2FS Roms, but I do not recommend using F2FS ... I'll post why soon)

October 4, 2014 - ver010

- Cleanup of ACPU clocks (voltages are now properly set: 2ghz OC is now available and 1566mhz is back)
- Added Sultan's CPU Boost framework
- F2FS Support from Cl3Kener
- Sweep2Sleep Support (disabled by default)
- Sweep2Wake Sensitive Patch

September 24, 2014 - ver009 Build #2

- This version and beyond will only work with roms updated after Aug 1st, 2014
- Thanks to Sultan for thermal ramdisk patch
- BLN is no longer forced through ramdisk, so it is disabled by default. *cough* use my app instead *cough*

August 17, 2014 - ver009

- More under-the-hood preparations for kernel-to-app interactions for my upcoming application
- I patched the CPU1 freq policy init, so all cores will sync max/min freq settings. (Devs please see my commit as this is a bug in all of our kernels)
- I wrote a BLN hack for custom override of the blink intervals, see here. (A UI editor for this will be in my app)
- Bluetooth reverted to stock CM until I can pinpoint current issues
- Default max freq is now 1566mhz

July 28, 2014 - ver008

- Intellidemand reverted back to 2.0 as its the better one for this device
- Fixed any potential lag
- Fixed cpu policy potentially being reverted after a restart
- Adb is now unsecure (ramdisk)
- WildKernel init preparations for upcoming app (future)

July 24, 2014 - ver007

- Lots of overall cleanup, more stable (eliminated all start-up bootloops, 2mb more RAM)
- Early Suspend and Late Resume Drivers ported to Governors (yay for sleep) 
- Ondemand (upstream) has been fully ported so no more need for OndemandX as they are virtually the same
- Voltage Control is back from previous kernels
- More TCP Options are back, default is now Westwood (my personal fav)
- Intellidemand updated to v3.0 (my new favorite governor)
- Added Gaming Governor (I suggest to use this over performance governor when gaming, this won't lock at max but ramp with low latency (based off GPU) to max, saving batter without cutting performance)
- Mpdecision cleanup
- Ondemand and Intellidemand now have a dual (cpu load) algorithm
- Interactive and InteractiveX Governors removed due to instability
- Default IO sched is now SIO (personal favorite AND most stable)

July 10, 2014 - ver006

- Brand New STABLE Kernel base
- Brought back all low power drivers (display addons, bluetooth etc.)
- Should be the best kernel yet, try it out! 

June 29, 2014 - ver005

1. New Kernel base (I've re-worked all initial WIldKernel features back in so everything should be intact)
2. Removed some troublesome governors. (badass, smartassv2, intellidemand, hyper, samsung, lionheart, ondemandx, along with all stock governors still remain)
3. Raised max OC to 1.9ghz
4. Disabled non-functional 2D GPU cores (sultan)
5. FULLY utilize Google's Snappy V3 Compression (fast) along with zram
6. Patch jRCU for decent performance improvements
7. Numerous Kernel Patches to speedup IO (tasking), improve battery, lessen boot times etc.
8.  Backport VFP from Linux 3.4.y Kernels
9. sdcard readahead tweaks
10. Cleanup certain parts of GPU to fix hangs, lags, etc.
11. Kernel installer handles cache for pre-installation, just install kernel and reboot.
12. Badass phase 2 freq raised to 972mhz to improve performance without using more power
13. Patches to improve Thermal Driver
14. Charger (vbus) patches (increase max AC charging to 1200mah+, fix cable type 6 errors, allow deep sleep during charge, etc.)
15. Patch mpdecision to allow for a more logical hotplugging system during sleep and enable deep idle (for screen on)
16. USB mass storage patches
17. Fix GPU from being OC'd to the max by default to make way for scaling based off work load
18. Reduce Kernel Latencies
19. Add 16mb to SF to ensure stability (sultan)

June 17, 2014 - ver004 Beta

1. Kernel FULLY rebased off the stock PA Kernel (was initially based off Diablo)
2. Re-ported all current WildKernel features so previous features have been lost.
3. I may still need to port some more that i may have missed so let me know if something is missing!
4. Available ram may vary from 834-834mb of RAM (calculated at boot)

June 13, 2014 - ver003

1. Fully revert to old display drivers to prevent ALL graphical issues. (will save to work on for later)
2. Added Button Light Notification Support (BLN)
3. Reserve more memory for the Camera to fix video recording fcs (Available RAM is now 834mb)
4. Updated Bluetooth driver to CAF
5. Added Low power mode to bluetooth driver
6. Disable non-functional HDMI to add more userspace
7. Disable tons of useless kernel debugging to speed up IO

June 7, 2014 - ver002 Build #2

1. Revert to old FB to prevent current graphical issues, will fix for future.

If you downloaded 002 BEFORE seeing this please re-download to prevent graphical issues

June 6, 2014 - ver002

1. Support for Android 4.4.3
2. FSync is disabled for now to avoid unintentional memory loss (disabled until I find the root of the problem)
3. Hotplug 2nd CPU core for all idle conditions
4. Utilize Google's Snappy V3 Compression
5. ZCache Patches
6. Use unaligned access for LZO for major speedup
7. Back-port AIO from Linux 3.6.x
8. Forward-port jRCU to Linux 3.0.x
9. Utilize Linaro's ARM Topology for CPU tasks
10. Increase Ram Userspace to 847mb (credit to sultanxda)
11. Enable MDP gamma color enhancement from the HTC One for "less color saturation" (credit to sultanxda)
12. Disable non-functional IOMNU (build #1)

May 27, 2014 - ver001

1. Initial Release (based off Diablo 3.1 & Merged with all latest CM vidc changes to fix camera/camcorder issues)
2. Voltage Table Overhaul: All clocks have noticeably reduced voltages to improve battery life without compromising performance.
3. Add More GPU Scaling steps to create a new 'low power' idle and more intermediate steps until an OC
4. Various FS, IRQ, MM, Mutex patches
5. Enable All tweaks for Badass (including low-bat powersave, allow bypass etc.)
6. New 'Ultra low' CPU Idle steps (96-153mhz) - Low power idling
7. Mpdecision allowed to scale down to 96mhz
8. BadAss and SIO set as default gov/sched
9. Update all Ondemand based governors to upstream (Google)
10. Update LZO (faux123)

TeamChopsticks & CyanogenMod
TeamSXL
Cl3Kener
Team Hydra
TeamDS
faux123
Sultanxda
Tamcore
cretin45
showp1984
RomanBB
and any others I may have missed

Info on Governors/Schedulers
You may find my source hosted @ Github

There is NO need to clear caches, kernel installer handles everything. Just flash and reboot.

My recommended Governor/Scheduler setups:

Battery w/ Good Performance at 96-1350mhz:

Intellidemand/SIO (personal choice)
Lazy/SIO
Badass/SIO
Ondemand/SIO
Wheatley/SIO

'lil more Performance at 96-1512mhz:

Smartass/SIO
Hyper/Deadline
Samsung/Deadlne
lulzactive/Deadline
Savagedzed/Deadline

Best Performance (worst battery): 384-???mhz

Gaming/Deadline
Performance/Deadline
Did you read the announcement? (page header)

XDA:DevDB Information
WildKernel for the T-Mobile Galaxy S II (hercules), Kernel for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II

Contributors
Emmanuel U
Source Code: https://github.com/EmmanuelU/wild_ke...m-hercules-3.0

Kernel Special Features: Too many features to list, just install it.... now.

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 013
Stable Release Date: 2015-01-29

Created 2014-05-28
Last Updated 2015-02-01
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-10-07-06-05-43.png
Views:	3275
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	2963485   Click image for larger version

Name:	aDev_screenshot.png
Views:	3285
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	2963486  
The Following 56 Users Say Thank You to Emmanuel U For This Useful Post: [ View ]

28th May 2014, 09:15 AM |#2  
Flag Pueblo
Thanks Meter: 322

More
Wow I'm glad I was up late tonight! Downloaded this installed... Working cam 100% plus we can overclock again! Ole herc still running strong!! Thanks for this!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to x.0ni.x For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift x.0ni.x Ad-Free
28th May 2014, 02:36 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 2,326

More
Thanks bro for doing this. I will flash and report

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

Emmanuel, do you recommend CPU tuner or trickster or just stock performance to tweak settings?

28th May 2014, 03:23 PM |#4  
Just flashed it on Carbon 5/21. Initial thoughts are that it seems to get to the boot animation quicker than Uber. But initial reboot is long... I thought my phone was stuck in a bootloop... Also does not kill vibration after subsequent reboots after the initial reboot after flashing the kernel. It's just as quick as Uber and seems to work with Kernel Tweaker. This kernel also won't crash the phone playing 1080p in portrait... Love the fact that this kernel has sleep2wake as well. Will report back after using it for the day...

Any chance of a 2ghz version? And does this work with PAC outta the box?

Edit: Forgot to say thanks for giving us another kernel for the good ol' Herc. So, thanks.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
28th May 2014, 03:26 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 2,326

More
Not sure if its kernel related but after rebooting my phone because of play store issues. After rebooting, I lost all of my widgets that I placed on 4 screens.

28th May 2014, 05:32 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 193

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel U

WildKernel
for T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II

This is a Linux based (3.0.101) Kernel which is maintained by me kept inline with the Cyangenmod Kernel so this is compatible with ALL the latest KitKat Roms.

Please report anything good and bad so that I know what to keep and what not to keep for the next release. This also helps me push out fixes faster when presented with lots of information (such as logs etc.).

Please wipe cache and dalvik cache to avoid any possible issues.

Please see changelogs for an in-depth look at features. Also take a look at the screenshots for a sneak peek.

Download Latest WildKernel for Android 4.4+
Mirror (HTTP) / (FTP)

View all public kernel releases (Mirror)

Changelog:
Code:
May 27, 2014 - ver001

1. Initial Release (based off Diablo 3.1 & Merged with all latest CM vidc changes to fix camera/camcorder issues)
2. Voltage Table Overhaul: All clocks have noticeably reduced voltages to improve battery life without compromising performance.
3. Add More GPU Scaling steps to create a new 'low power' idle and more intermediate steps until an OC
4. Various FS, IRQ, MM, Mutex patches
5. Enable All tweaks for Badass (including low-bat powersave, allow bypass etc.)
6. New 'Ultra low' CPU Idle steps (96-153mhz) - Low power idling
7. Mpdecision allowed to scale down to 96mhz
8. BadAss and SIO set as default gov/sched
9. Update all Ondemand based governors to upstream (Google)
10. Update LZO (faux123)

TeamChopsticks & CyanogenMod
TeamSXL
Cl3Kener
Team Hydra
TeamDS
faux123
Sultan
Tamcore
cretin45
showp1984
RomanBB
and any others I may have missed

Info on Governors/Schedulers
You may find my source hosted @ Github

XDA:DevDB Information
WildKernel for the T-Mobile Galaxy S II (hercules), Kernel for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II

Contributors
Emmanuel U
Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
Current Beta Version: 001
Beta Release Date: 2014-05-27

Created 2014-05-28
Last Updated 2014-05-27

I haven't tested this yet, but it is on my "to test" list. I'm going to download it on my lunch break and flash it sometime on the weekend. Had a quick question though: what is the recommended date of the ROM one should use with this Kernel? The ROM I'm running was last updated back in March so I am unsure if any new CM features were implemented or removed from the kernel since that time and I would rather not be stuck in a boot-loop or nothing. The kernel I'm currently sporting is "3.0.101-DIABLO-3.3". You say yours is based off of Diablo 3.1, so I THINK it should play nice with this ROM, but I'm nervous I'll soft-brick my phone.
Is there a reason you didn't use Diablo 3.3 as the base?
Also, your OP states there are screenshots, but none are included? I don't need them (kernels don't really need screenshots, eh?), but just thought I'd point it out.
Thanks for being one of the ones keeping the t989 alive.

EDIT: I'm dumb... just saw the screenshot tab at the top. 18 hours on battery is pretty good. I get about 10 with how I have things set right now, so getting an extra 8 would be awesome.
The Following User Says Thank You to bmg002 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bmg002 Ad-Free
28th May 2014, 09:58 PM |#7  
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg002

I haven't tested this yet, but it is on my "to test" list. I'm going to download it on my lunch break and flash it sometime on the weekend. Had a quick question though: what is the recommended date of the ROM one should use with this Kernel? The ROM I'm running was last updated back in March so I am unsure if any new CM features were implemented or removed from the kernel since that time and I would rather not be stuck in a boot-loop or nothing. The kernel I'm currently sporting is "3.0.101-DIABLO-3.3". You say yours is based off of Diablo 3.1, so I THINK it should play nice with this ROM, but I'm nervous I'll soft-brick my phone.
Is there a reason you didn't use Diablo 3.3 as the base?
Also, your OP states there are screenshots, but none are included? I don't need them (kernels don't really need screenshots, eh?), but just thought I'd point it out.
Thanks for being one of the ones keeping the t989 alive.

EDIT: I'm dumb... just saw the screenshot tab at the top. 18 hours on battery is pretty good. I get about 10 with how I have things set right now, so getting an extra 8 would be awesome.

It'll work fine with older KitKat builds.. And I don't think you'll have compatibility problems with using it with a ROM that came with a newer version of Diablo. I was at one point using older builds of Cl3kener's kernels on newer builds...

Sent from my Carbonized GS²
The Following User Says Thank You to mp3deviant721 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mp3deviant721 Ad-Free
28th May 2014, 11:11 PM |#8  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Chi-Town Suburbs
Thanks Meter: 2,608

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaverc118

Thanks bro for doing this. I will flash and report

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 AM ----------

Emmanuel, do you recommend CPU tuner or trickster or just stock performance to tweak settings?

I will always recommend the stock performance app as it's apart of the system so you know for a fact it won't be holding any child proccesses which may effect battery etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3deviant721

Just flashed it on Carbon 5/21. Initial thoughts are that it seems to get to the boot animation quicker than Uber. But initial reboot is long... I thought my phone was stuck in a bootloop... Also does not kill vibration after subsequent reboots after the initial reboot after flashing the kernel. It's just as quick as Uber and seems to work with Kernel Tweaker. This kernel also won't crash the phone playing 1080p in portrait... Love the fact that this kernel has sleep2wake as well. Will report back after using it for the day...

Any chance of a 2ghz version? And does this work with PAC outta the box?

Edit: Forgot to say thanks for giving us another kernel for the good ol' Herc. So, thanks.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Yes it should work out of the box with ALL KITKAT roms. As for Jellybean and before I'm not 100% sure as they may and most likely use different ramdisks. Also I doubt you will see me push out a 2ghz version as I don't really like to OC, but when I do I like to stay in the OC 300-400mhz stage. Once getting above that you risk damaging your hardware overtime which can stunt it's life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaverc118

Not sure if its kernel related but after rebooting my phone because of play store issues. After rebooting, I lost all of my widgets that I placed on 4 screens.

How many times did this issue occur to you? Did it happen right after kernel installation? Because it's sounding more like a rom related issue.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emmanuel U For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th May 2014, 11:13 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 47

More
After about 12hrs into it, video recording added a nonstop buzzing sound in all video res. Reboot fixed the issue. See catlog. I am currently on AlpineRom.
Attached Files
File Type: rar videobuzzsound.rar - [Click for QR Code] (47.0 KB, 21 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to e20140 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift e20140 Ad-Free
28th May 2014, 11:58 PM |#10  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel U

Yes it should work out of the box with ALL KITKAT roms. As for Jellybean and before I'm not 100% sure as they may and most likely use different ramdisks. Also I doubt you will see me push out a 2ghz version as I don't really like to OC, but when I do I like to stay in the 300-400mhz stage. Once getting above that you risk damaging your hardware overtime which can stunt it's life.

I meant all older builds of KitKat ROMs. My bad. I didn't claify. I'll edit my post. And I thought I'd ask about 2ghz, it was nice when I had it...

Sent from my Carbonized GS²
29th May 2014, 12:07 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 352

More
woot
a wild kernal appears
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JesusWazBlack For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JesusWazBlack Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)