FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Official fix for battery problems

237 posts
Thanks Meter: 34

By bikercr, Senior Member on 28th May 2014, 03:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
This is directly from HTC tech support. To recalibrate battery and HTC charger when battery rapidly or erratically discharges, this procedure clears all battery stats, coordinates and normalizes charging.

Turn off Fast Boot in settings. Power off phone.
Plug phone into HTC charger and charge for two minutes or more
While charging, hold down volume up+volume down+power button and continue holding
Phone will turn on and off repeatedly every 15 seconds or so while continuing to hold all three buttons
Keep this going for 2 minutes, then release buttons when phone is ON
Now, let phone charge fully normally (with phone either on or off--doesn't matter) and battery level reporting, charging and battery life should be normalized.

Do this every month or so to keep power system healthy--even if everything seems fine. Also, don't leave phone on charger overnight for best long term battery life (according to HTC tech support: "The first thing they tell us." This is true even though charging is supposed to turn off when battery is at 100%)

NOTE: Another potential fix for battery/charging abnormalities if this procedure fails (esp. after an OTA update when corrupted files can remain stuck in device cache partition)--clear cache partition using this method: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...ted-phone.html
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bikercr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bikercr Ad-Free

28th May 2014, 07:21 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Check your battery history in settings. If the 3. bar, in the middle, is always there (it's probably called "in usage", I'm on a different language so i don't know), then some app is always on and it's draining your battery. I haven't discovered which app is that yet, but I'll install battery monitor app to discover it.

When it's like that, i lose 1% per hour on standby, which is a lot, because normally during the whole i lose about 1-2%. So I kill all apps with Clean Master and then the 3. bar isn't present anymore when my phone is on standby.
28th May 2014, 09:08 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 226

More
And why not just let the battery die. I mean let the phone turn off and then charge it to 100%. This is the general way to calibrate the battery.

Tapatalked with my "refrigerator look" HTC one M8
29th May 2014, 04:46 AM |#4  
Hanoi

More
As far as I'm aware Lipo batteries shouldn't be completely discharged. I have some RC helicopters and planes and each Lipo battery pack carries that warning.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
29th May 2014, 06:37 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1,121

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy905

As far as I'm aware Lipo batteries shouldn't be completely discharged. I have some RC helicopters and planes and each Lipo battery pack carries that warning.

Now you're talking crazy. I'm fairly sure the same advice for NiCd and NiMH still applies, even though they're completely different technology and haven't been used in phones 15 Years.

I personally use witchcraft to keep my batteries in working order.
The Following User Says Thank You to BenPope For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BenPope Ad-Free
29th May 2014, 07:37 AM |#6  
Hanoi

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenPope

Now you're talking crazy. I'm fairly sure the same advice for NiCd and NiMH still applies, even though they're completely different technology and haven't been used in phones 15 Years.

I personally use witchcraft to keep my batteries in working order.

Lipo batteries are way different than NiCd and NiMh and their chemistry is unstable to say the least. But by all means be crazy yourself and drain your battery to 0% if you feel the need.

Sent from my ASUS_T00I using XDA Free mobile app
29th May 2014, 07:41 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1,121

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy905

But by all means be crazy yourself and drain your battery to 0% if you feel the need.

I think you missed my sarcasm, I agree with you.

You can't drain the battery to 0 without going out of your way as the electronics in the battery protects it, but yeah, as soon as your phone switches off, it's time to add some charge, if not way, way before. I don't actually believe in this calibration thing people speak of.
29th May 2014, 08:39 PM |#8  
Flag Örebro, Sweden
Thanks Meter: 621

More
I ran my M8 completely dry once on purpose a couple of days after purchase. I always do this at least once with every phone sometime in its lifespan.

When doing so, the phone sat at 1% charge for over an hour while I had the screen on at maximum brightness all the time and streaming music with Spotify.

Needless to say it was needed for my phone.
30th May 2014, 04:05 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 59

More
While using the phone, battery doesn't drain as fast.. When its in standby, somehow it drains faster..very strange

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
1st June 2014, 05:25 PM |#10  
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 51

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikercr

This is directly from HTC tech support. To recalibrate battery and HTC charger when battery rapidly or erratically discharges, this procedure clears all battery stats, coordinates and normalizes charging.

Turn off Fast Boot in settings. Power off phone.
Plug phone into HTC charger and charge for two minutes or more
While charging, hold down volume up+volume down+power button and continue holding
Phone will turn on and off repeatedly every 15 seconds or so while continuing to hold all three buttons
Keep this going for 2 minutes, then release buttons when phone is ON
Now, let phone charge fully normally (with phone either on or off--doesn't matter) and battery level reporting, charging and battery life should be normalized.

Do this every month or so to keep power system healthy--even if everything seems fine. Also, don't leave phone on charger overnight for best long term battery life (according to HTC tech support: "The first thing they tell us." This is true even though charging is supposed to turn off when battery is at 100%)

NOTE: Another potential fix for battery/charging abnormalities if this procedure fails (esp. after an OTA update when corrupted files can remain stuck in device cache partition)--clear cache partition using this method: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ver...ted-phone.html

Tried this. It did seem to work for me. I was skeptical, but I definitely feel like it fixed the erratic battery behavior I was seeing.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
2nd June 2014, 03:27 AM |#11  
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannejanne

I ran my M8 completely dry once on purpose a couple of days after purchase. I always do this at least once with every phone sometime in its lifespan.

When doing so, the phone sat at 1% charge for over an hour while I had the screen on at maximum brightness all the time and streaming music with Spotify.

Needless to say it was needed for my phone.

has this process worked for you for every device you've owned? I'm getting horrible standby drain on my m8. Wifi on, location, autosync, bluetooth, nfc all disabled. in a span on 9 hours I lost 10% close to 11. the only thing I can think of is I haven't greenified anything, but I shouldn't have to..

and like another user said I seem to get better battery life when it is in use then when it is in deep sleep
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)