FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

MKV subtitle extraction with Bubbleupnp

2 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By crossmr, Junior Member on 31st May 2014, 11:48 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
play a lot of subtitled files. No way around that. I've got them in many formats, MKVs, srts, smi (but found a quick smi to srt converter), etc.

My setup is a desktop that sends to the chromecast on my TV. I'd like to use bubbleupnp to control it.

I've got the bubbleupnp server on my computer.

regular casting works fine, but my god subtitles are a pain in the neck.

With the current setup, bubbleupnp is giving me a lot of trouble. If I use an MKV with subtitles it gives me a "subtitle can't be extracted" error. If I put the subtitle on my phone (Srt) it recognizes it, but when I try to use it, it says something like upload failed, it can't seem to add them to the existing stream.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit on my desktop.

I also have xbmc, but apparently that doesn't support external subtitles.

I tried serviio, but that doesn't work on windows 7 64 that well (console wouldn't launch). seems to be many reports of it not working on their site.

I'd like this to "just work". I could go through the trouble of encoding hard sub videos, but screw that. I can chromecast a tab with a movie open and subtitles on it (that works) but I like the whole media library access to be able to just choose files with my phone.

Any ideas on what I need here as googling is mostly leading to half forgotten forum posts and whispers of possible updates and no real solutions. The specific issues I'm getting with subs don't come up at all on search.
31st May 2014, 05:56 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 375

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossmr

play a lot of subtitled files. No way around that. I've got them in many formats, MKVs, srts, smi (but found a quick smi to srt converter), etc.

My setup is a desktop that sends to the chromecast on my TV. I'd like to use bubbleupnp to control it.

I've got the bubbleupnp server on my computer.

regular casting works fine, but my god subtitles are a pain in the neck.

With the current setup, bubbleupnp is giving me a lot of trouble. If I use an MKV with subtitles it gives me a "subtitle can't be extracted" error. If I put the subtitle on my phone (Srt) it recognizes it, but when I try to use it, it says something like upload failed, it can't seem to add them to the existing stream.

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit on my desktop.

I also have xbmc, but apparently that doesn't support external subtitles.

I tried serviio, but that doesn't work on windows 7 64 that well (console wouldn't launch). seems to be many reports of it not working on their site.

I'd like this to "just work". I could go through the trouble of encoding hard sub videos, but screw that. I can chromecast a tab with a movie open and subtitles on it (that works) but I like the whole media library access to be able to just choose files with my phone.

Any ideas on what I need here as googling is mostly leading to half forgotten forum posts and whispers of possible updates and no real solutions. The specific issues I'm getting with subs don't come up at all on search.

I'm not sure but I was under the impression that for external subs you had to copy it to a folder inside the Bubble Server install location...
1st June 2014, 01:43 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx

I'm not sure but I was under the impression that for external subs you had to copy it to a folder inside the Bubble Server install location...

No, if you are running a media server that passes them on (like twonky) it'll pass them to bubbleupnp. There was some error with the software. The dev finally got back to a note I left and did something. Suddenly external subs are working. You can have them in the directory with the movie, or on your phone.

After talking to the dev i discovered that MKV subtitle extraction can only be done on SRT subs embedded in the MKV. If image based DVD subs are in the MKV they can't be extract which was the issue I was getting.
The Following User Says Thank You to crossmr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift crossmr Ad-Free
1st June 2014, 06:54 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 375

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossmr

No, if you are running a media server that passes them on (like twonky) it'll pass them to bubbleupnp. There was some error with the software. The dev finally got back to a note I left and did something. Suddenly external subs are working. You can have them in the directory with the movie, or on your phone.

After talking to the dev i discovered that MKV subtitle extraction can only be done on SRT subs embedded in the MKV. If image based DVD subs are in the MKV they can't be extract which was the issue I was getting.

Ok glad for the clarification....
Yes the DVD subs are always a problem since in many cases they are not a text that can be streamed....
3rd December 2019, 02:54 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Use KODI. It implements SUBS over DLNA quite nice (in a few makers TV models).

KODI DOES not use transcoding...

SUBS work on my PANASONIC TV.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)