Allows WhatsApp users to extract their cipher key and databases on non-rooted Android devices.
UPDATE: This tool was last updated on October 12th 2016. and confirmed working on Android 4.0-7.0 using WhatsApp version v2.16.304 (latest available).
IMPORTANT: If you wish to extract media files or WhatsApp databases from Google Drive backups then you need: WhatsApp Google Drive Extractor instead.
v4.0 - Fixed issues with Android API 14-17 (4.0-4.2 Jelly Bean).
v4.1 - Added support for Android API 23 (6.0-6.0.1 Marshmallow).
v4.2 - Added support for specifying adb backup passwords.
v4.3 - Added PowerShell version as optional alternative to bat version.
v4.4 - Changed primary mirror for legacy apk.
v4.5 - Fixed issue pushing cipher key to emulated storage.
v4.6 - Updated primary mirror for legacy apk (again).
v4.7 - Added new sanity checks and support for Android API 24 (7.0 Nougat).
- O/S: Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Mac OS X or Linux
- Java - If not installed: Download Java
- ADB (Android Debug Bridge) Drivers
- USB Debugging* must be enabled on the target device. Settings -> Developer Options -> (Debugging) USB debugging
- Android device with Android 4.0 or higher. I.E. Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, KitKat, Lollipop, Marshmallow or Nougat.
- Extract WhatsApp-Key-DB-Extractor-master.zip maintaining the directory structure.
- Click on WhatsAppKeyDBExtract.bat (Windows) or WhatsAppKeyDBExtract.sh (Mac OS X / Linux).
- Connect your device via USB, unlock your screen and wait for Full backup to appear.
- Enter your backup password or leave blank (if none set) and tap on Back up my data.
- Confirm backup password in your command console and then check the "extracted" folder.
- If you have never used USB Debugging before, you may also need to verify the fingerprint.
- If you have set a default backup password in your Android settings, then this MUST be the
backup password that you provide when prompted to backup your data. Else it WILL fail!
- Linux and Mac OS X users may need to set the script permissions as executable. Depending on the
adb permissions, you may also need to sudo ./WhatsAppKeyDBExtract.sh from your command console.
- If you're having issues with WhatsAppKeyDBExtract.bat then right click WhatsAppKeyDBExtract.ps1
and select Run with PowerShell. You may have to enter "y" at first run for script execution policy.
- If you get an error saying "AES encryption not allowed" then you need to update your Oracle Java
Cryptography Extension (JCE) to Unlimited Strength Jurisdiction Policy Files.
THANKS: dragomerlin for Android Backup Extractor and Abinash Bishoyi for being cool.