FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[CONCEPT] Scrolling Side Launcher - another multitasking concept for Android

2,034 posts
Thanks Meter: 496

Post Reply Email Thread
Hello xda-community,

I NEVER RECOGNISED THIS, BUT OF COURSE THE TITLE SHOULD BE "SCROLLING SIDE LAUNCHER", NOT "SCOLLING".

first, I wasn't sure where to post this, so I chose the general section. If a mod thinks there is a better place for this, please move the topic =)

Now, what do I imagine under "Scrolling Side Launcher"?

There are many approaches to achieve multitask on mobile devices, most famous ones are Samsungs Multiwindow/Pen Window, LGs Qslite/SlideAside/Splitview, Paranoid Androids Halo and last but not least the stunning xposed module by Android developer @zst123, XHalofloatingwindows.

However, none of these seems to be very useful when you are on a smartphone, on a tablet with a wide screen they can be useful.
On smartphones, its always a switch between this window and that window, moving another window to the front, maximising, minimising, closing, reopening and so on.

So, I thought about a way how to avoid most of these complications and perhaps even make multitask feeling a little bit more smooth and natural.
But, how could you achieve a fluent experience when you have several apps on screen? I thought about the Android notification bar, where you can pinch notifications to enlarge them or to minimise them. And this was how I had the idea for this concept:

I used Samsung Touchwiz (most of you hate it, I know) as a base:

1. A new icon on the homescreen (replacing the MyMagazine icon and app, because who in the world really needs that one?), so from the homescreen you just need to swipe to the right to enter SSL:

2. A new icon in the recent apps menu (this would either need a new apk, an xposed module (?) or the whole thing be part of an own rom with this one, you can get into SSL from every app:

3. Swipe an app from the recent menu to the left to add it to SSL:

4. Next image shows SSL without any app added, you can add any app by tapping the "+" symbol:

5. If you add an app, it's displayed in fullscreen, but you can pinch (tap with the fingers on the borders) it to minimise it to any size until it switches to minimised view...:

6. ...and of course the other way round:

7. If you have more apps pinched out, you can scroll thru the apps. The "active" app (the one you interacted with last) is highlighted with white borders:

8. When you scroll up, the titlebar hides itself, when you scroll down, it appears again:

9. In the menu, you can choose between different options; in the settings you can set different layout options.

10. Swipe again to the right to open the sidebar, in which you can see all apps added to SSL. Active apps have a thumbnail of the current content. In the Sidebar you can change the apps order or close an app (swipe away)

or even more like in slim recents:

Edit: important to mention is that of course the app size would scale down, otherwise it would look as awkward as in my pics (just made them with paint.net) and interaction would be bad.

That's it for the moment, I'll maybe add/change some aspects. So, what do you think?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xPr0metheus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xPr0metheus Ad-Free

3rd June 2014, 07:40 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
Just edited two of the concept to be a bit more like material design. How do you like?

4th June 2014, 08:54 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
The concept is nice, looking forward to try it
4th June 2014, 11:54 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamexynos

The concept is nice, looking forward to try it

you'll probably never see it because I am no dev so it needs a dev to realise my idea^^

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
4th June 2014, 01:11 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 232

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPr0metheus

you'll probably never see it because I am no dev so it needs a dev to realise my idea^^

Subscribed anyway cause it's a really nice idea!

Also, it looks a bit like slim recents, but you can actually interact with the apps (like xhalo), rather than just see a thumbnail of it.

Enviado de meu Nexus 4 usando Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to meatboy371 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift meatboy371 Ad-Free
4th June 2014, 01:20 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Yep, I took this sidebar concept from slim recents

And I like that you can minimse the thumbnails in slim recents. That's useful

The Following User Says Thank You to xPr0metheus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xPr0metheus Ad-Free
4th June 2014, 03:42 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 118

Donate to Me
More
The sidebar looks like Fancy Switcher:

By the way, you asked for a theme like this one (latest touchwizz) back in the early development of Fancy Switcher, right ?
4th June 2014, 03:48 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Yes, I am a fan of touchwiz.
The sidebar is a concept you find in many apps (slim recents, fancy switcher, switchr)
It's a popular feature since its easy to handle.

First, I thought to design it like you can do all this directly in the launcher (swipe apps away, change positioning) but there would be two major problems with that: First, it would interfere with the normal gestures of the app, and second there would be a problem of space when you want to switch app position because you cannot see so much apps on the screen at the same time like in a sidebar. This would be against the concept of simple handling I want to achieve.

13th June 2014, 06:32 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 2,030

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I love this idea
I was considering yesterday of making an Xposed mod to put app icons in the recents panel, then having a drawer to access all apps
Your idea is much better but also much harder to make
I think I'll make my one then add features from your one over time
Just to clarify, in your concept, does recents panel become the home screen?
The Following User Says Thank You to hamzahrmalik For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hamzahrmalik Ad-Free
13th June 2014, 06:34 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamzahrmalik

I love this idea
I was considering yesterday of making an Xposed mod to put app icons in the recents panel, then having a drawer to access all apps
Your idea is much better but also much harder to make
I think I'll make my one then add features from your one over time
Just to clarify, in your concept, does recents panel become the home screen?

No. Homescreen is still there as normal. The complete mod is meant to be a "sidelauncher"

13th June 2014, 06:35 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 2,030

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

No. Homescreen is still there as normal. The complete mod is meant to be a "sidelauncher"

Ah
Well ill start work on it over the weekend
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hamzahrmalik For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hamzahrmalik Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)