FORUMS

[APP][3.0+]: FloatMail: Floatification extension for email

47 posts
Thanks Meter: 38

By glensantacruz, Member on 8th June 2014, 12:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Description
Receive email from within any app, without pausing the app, including fullscreen apps.

This is an extension for the app Floatifications published by Rob J. The floatifications app *must* be installed prior to installing FloatMail:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....notifications

The app supports:
  • Display sender name and subject
  • Display full email body
  • Commands:
    • Open: Opens the email app inbox
    • Delete: Deletes the Floatification
    • Reply: Reply from within the email app
    • Quick Reply: Reply from within the Floatification
    • Delete All: Deletes all recent FloatMail Floatifications
    • Delete Message: Deletes the email message from the remote server
    • Mark as Read: Marks the message as read on the remote server

The app works with nearly all email accounts by supporting the following protocols: IMAP, IMAP-IDLE (Push Mail), POP3 & Exchange via EWS or IMAP.

Note: There is no dependencies on K9, Gmail APIs or anything else so your free to use any email app that you want in conjunction with FloatMail.

Using this extension means you can do away with the status bar if you wish, disable your normal email notifications, and still be notified within FN for Email.

Questions & Improvements please contact: 'support' [at] 'maxlabmobile.com'

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bile.floatmail

Screenshot

Video

This video illustrates the concept of Floatifications in a similar app for SMS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=YOGQx5jUWSo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glensantacruz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift glensantacruz Ad-Free
8th June 2014, 01:13 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1,185

More
Very promising.

Since most of us will have either the default mailer, gmail, K9 or some other popular mailer up, the ability to import accounts setting would be very highly appreciated. Kind of a pain to enter this stuff once more from the phone's keyboards, even the best of them
The Following User Says Thank You to Dovidhalevi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Dovidhalevi Ad-Free
8th June 2014, 02:25 PM |#3  
OP Member
Flag Frankfurt

More
Thanks Dovid. I have already implemented export/import with an encrypted export file. When you tap on the export-file it will automatically associate the file with FloatMail and populate the settings. I'll expose that functionality soon in version 1.4 or 1.5. Thanks for the suggestion. Cheers, Glen.
8th June 2014, 05:08 PM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by glensantacruz

Thanks Dovid. I have already implemented export/import with an encrypted export file. When you tap on the export-file it will automatically associate the file with FloatMail and populate the settings. I'll expose that functionality soon in version 1.4 or 1.5. Thanks for the suggestion. Cheers, Glen.

Quite nice. Will try the 1.4 or 1.5 app once posted ( and I have decided whether or not to keep the 4.4.3 Omnrom).

I take it one still needs the original emailers around to issue the notification? Or once, imported, can they be removed if this be one's preferred mailer? Read the Play description so seems this can work on its own. Actually I only use K9 so would probably keep it around.

Exchange support puts this over the rest!
8th June 2014, 05:24 PM |#5  
OP Member
Flag Frankfurt

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovidhalevi

Quite nice. Will try the 1.4 or 1.5 app once posted ( and I have decided whether or not to keep the 4.4.3 Omnrom).

I take it one still needs the original emailers around to issue the notification? Or once, imported, can they be removed if this be one's preferred mailer?

Sorry I should have been clearer before. The export/import feature will backup/restore the FloatMail settings which is ideal when:
1. You want to reset the device
2. You want the same settings, but on another device
But it won't automatically configure the app based on your K9/Gmail settings.

The app connects directly to your IMAP server. In the case of Gmail, it would connect to the server using IMAP-IDLE/Push-mail. When a message is sent, it will automatically appear in a floatification within a few seconds.

It is capable of opening the inbox or compose screen of any email app that you want. [You just need to choose the app from a list on the account setup screen] However, since it shows the full message and you can do quick replies hopefully users will not need to open their email apps so often.

Cheers,
Glen
12th June 2014, 11:11 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 3,361

Donate to Me
More
Awesome work mate, always nice to see a new extension like this
13th June 2014, 01:52 PM |#7  
Flag Thessaloniki
Thanks Meter: 6

More
It's a nice idea but i have a problem.
I can see in the log that it finds the new mail i just recived but it doesn't tell me.
I just sent the log via email to [email protected]
If you need anything more just tell me.

Thanks.
16th June 2014, 11:09 AM |#8  
OP Member
Flag Frankfurt

More
Thanks Guys

stavrinho: Sorry, I can't find your email. It is maxlabmobile.com ['L' after 'max']. I'm sure we can solve that issue. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavrinho

It's a nice idea but i have a problem.
I can see in the log that it finds the new mail i just recived but it doesn't tell me.
I just sent the log via email to [email protected]
If you need anything more just tell me.

Thanks.

15th February 2015, 07:48 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 73

More
is there a reason this can't use existing mail accounts ?

Gmail is already setup on my phone.. through official Gmail app..

Just need.. essentially floating Gmail notifications
21st December 2015, 11:16 PM |#10  
OP Member
Flag Frankfurt

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaladhjin

is there a reason this can't use existing mail accounts ?

Gmail is already setup on my phone.. through official Gmail app..

Just need.. essentially floating Gmail notifications

Yes because it was written to work with any email not only GMail. But I understand your concerns.
22nd December 2015, 08:31 AM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by glensantacruz

Yes because it was written to work with any email not only GMail. But I understand your concerns.

Hmmmm

This is work with any email account (so is set up by itself)? Have not seen this yet, maybe work a look.

EDIT:
I see I had commented on this is the distant past. For some reason, I had not gotten extensions really working.

So trying to set it up: Need to support two-stage auth. Typing in those Google "app-specific" passwords is impossible.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)