Visit the project page for more information (including source code): https://github.com/Redth/FiredTVLauncher
How does it work?
While it's not possible (yet/without root) to actually replace the launcher app, FiredTV effectively does this by watching for Amazon's launcher being opened, and then immediately launches itself. Because of this, you will see Amazon's home screen flash on the screen very briefly after pressing the home button, before FiredTV Launcher appears.
You can install the app by grabbing the .APK directly from the releases page: https://github.com/Redth/FiredTVLauncher/releases
You will need to sideload the app. There are many guides available how to do this on the forums.
Once the app has been installed, go into your FireTV Settings, go into Applications, find 'FiredTV' in the list, select it, and select 'Launch Application'
Where's the Java?
If you looked at the source, you may have noticed that there's no Java. That's because this was written entirely in C# using Xamarin! C# is awesome, go use Xamarin!
Obviously this launcher is very simple, and there's not much to it. I'm planning on adding some Settings configuration within the app, so you can do things like hide apps, reorder them, hide labels, change colors, etc.
- Better FireTV Stick support
- Fixed Default Wallpaper not showing up in some instances
- Fixed Show/Hide for Amazon apps
- New Icon/Name for FireTV Home 'app'
- Fixed Settings icon
- Fixed Signing issue
- Updated Home detection logic, should be much more reliable
- Home detection is disabled by default (to help App store approval)
- Fixed a bug where the settings might show Home Detection enabled when it's actually disabled
- Home key detection disabled by default (to pass Amazon Store approval - you can enable it in Settings)
- New implementation for re-ordering apps
- More reliable settings saving/loading
- Customizable Wallpaper
- Removed FiredTV Logo
- Customizable Alpha of various backgrounds (top bar, label, app icon)
- Long press menu to hide app or uninstall app
- Now you can re-order apps
- Fixed bug with hiding Settings shortcut
- Now works on other devices (also on other devices that support it, now can become the 'home' launcher app)
- Fixed bug with time display (was in 24 hours by default)
This version adds some new features. Please note a different keystore was used to sign this app, so you may have to uninstall v.1.0.1 first!
- Hide/Show apps are all configurable now
- Date / Time now on home screen
- Hiding Logo, Date, Time App Labels all now configurable
- App Label font size configurable
- Fixed Settings shortcut
- Apps are now sorted by name