FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[MOD] Speakerphone whistle fix + volume boost

48 posts
Thanks Meter: 41

By elb0wf4ce, Member on 14th June 2014, 09:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I've reduced mic sensitivity but raised the volume and boosted other volumes as well, including the loudspeaker and earpiece volumes.

Rename the default snd file (/system/etc/snd_soc_msm) and replace it with the one contained within the first TAR attached to this post, making sure it has the same ownership and permissions applied as the renamed original, then reboot and test.

Note: If you still experience the annoying whistle during speakerphone calls with the first mod, try the second and finally the third for the more sensitive of devices.

Alternatively, you can flash the ZIP in recovery, which also enables PSM in custom ROMs and replaces the shutter/focus camera sounds with more realistic ones. The ZIP is what I flash after updating CM, hence the name. The ZIP contains the first mod of the snd file, so unpack it and replace that file with the second or third one if necessary to make your own custom flashable ZIP.
Attached Files
File Type: gz snd_soc_msm_2x.tar.gz - [Click for QR Code] (7.3 KB, 663 views)
File Type: gz snd_soc_msm_2x_73.tar.gz - [Click for QR Code] (7.3 KB, 256 views)
File Type: gz snd_soc_msm_2x_69_73.tar.gz - [Click for QR Code] (7.3 KB, 301 views)
File Type: zip post-update.zip - [Click for QR Code] (169.8 KB, 538 views)
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to elb0wf4ce For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift elb0wf4ce Ad-Free

15th June 2014, 09:28 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Thanks a lot for this!

Can you please exactly tell what parameters have you changed?

I'd like to know this, because in every "boosted" snd_soc_msm I think that mic is too bosted and everytime I record something with a recorder (I use the phone to record songs with my band at rehearsals) the result is always overdriven. This doesn't happen with stock ROM.

Thanks in advance for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elb0wf4ce

I can't post in the development section yet, so thought I'd share my own fix/workaround here. The file is smaller than the original as I've cleaned it up somewhat and removed unnecessary and inconsistant disable entries. This modified version also has higher mic volumes for video recording and boosted volumes elsewhere too.

This fix works on the latest nightly with the long-awaited kernel update. Just rename the default snd file (/system/etc/snd_soc_msm) and replace it with this one, making sure it has the same ownership and permissions applied as the original.

15th June 2014, 01:08 PM |#3  
OP Member
Flag Sheffield

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-1

Thanks a lot for this!

Can you please exactly tell what parameters have you changed?

I'd like to know this, because in every "boosted" snd_soc_msm I think that mic is too bosted and everytime I record something with a recorder (I use the phone to record songs with my band at rehearsals) the result is always overdriven. This doesn't happen with stock ROM.

Thanks in advance for the reply.

The mics (DEC4/6) for video recording (Camcorder Tx) have been raised from 66% to 68%. Have you tested video recording already or are you just asking in case you need to experiment?

The bottom mic (DEC6) in two sections for calls has been reduced from 66% volume to 64% to fix the whistle. Any higher and the whistle returns. Also, if the loudspeaker is set any higher than 72% the whistle returns.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elb0wf4ce For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift elb0wf4ce Ad-Free
15th June 2014, 01:32 PM |#4  
Flag Larnaca
Thanks Meter: 62

More
Thank you very much! this done the trick!
15th June 2014, 01:36 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
I only tested it in audio recording. Haven't tried with video.

How is in % loudspeaker volume in stock and in your release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elb0wf4ce

The mics (DEC4/6) for video recording (Camcorder Tx) have been raised from 66% to 68%. Have you tested video recording already or are you just asking in case you need to experiment?

The bottom mic (DEC6) in two sections for calls has been reduced from 66% volume to 64% to fix the whistle. Any higher and the whistle returns. Also, if the loudspeaker is set any higher than 72% the whistle returns.

15th June 2014, 02:01 PM |#6  
OP Member
Flag Sheffield

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-1

I only tested it in audio recording. Haven't tried with video.

How is in % loudspeaker volume in stock and in your release?

The original loudspeaker volume was 68%, which was far too low for my needs. I raised all of the RX volumes from 68% to 72%. RX1 is the earpiece volume and that benefits from the boost as it can be hard to hear people in a busy town centre, even with the earpiece against your ear when the volume is only 68%. I think either CM10.1 or CM10.2 had the loudspeaker volume set at 73%, but currently the CM default is 71%.
The Following User Says Thank You to elb0wf4ce For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift elb0wf4ce Ad-Free
15th June 2014, 08:21 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 2,611

More
this doesn't fix speaker whistle for me in carbon rom which is based on cm..
15th June 2014, 10:22 PM |#8  
OP Member
Flag Sheffield

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moly82

this doesn't fix speaker whistle for me in carbon rom which is based on cm..

It's a weird issue. Previous fixes that worked for other users didn't work for me, so that's why I came up with my own solution. I'm gonna try a few more things like changing ADCx values as they relate to sensitivity.

P.S. Did you reboot after replacing your default snd file?
The Following User Says Thank You to elb0wf4ce For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift elb0wf4ce Ad-Free
15th June 2014, 10:28 PM |#9  

More
same for me in the past all the fixes that worked for others didn't for me only fix that definitely fixed whistle for me is the one by rimmer1966 in his aosp that was also merged in omni.. he described the solution in his thread.. (disabled one mic during calls)
16th June 2014, 01:04 AM |#10  
OP Member
Flag Sheffield

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moly82

same for me in the past all the fixes that worked for others didn't for me only fix that definitely fixed whistle for me is the one by rimmer1966 in his aosp that was also merged in omni.. he described the solution in his thread.. (disabled one mic during calls)

Only the bottom mic is used, even during speakerphone calls. Did he swap them around? Anyway, try my new mod of the default snd file from CM11 in the OP. I've reduced mic sensitivity but raised the volume. My test recordings are a bit louder and cleaner I think.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elb0wf4ce For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift elb0wf4ce Ad-Free
16th June 2014, 01:49 PM |#11  

More
it doesn't work either.. ;(

I am now using the one from omni with carbon rom, and it seems that fixes the whistle.. but I will confirm later because sometimes the whistle comes back so I want to be sure!

btw, maybe you can start editing the omni's file to have a non-whistiling base and then try to improve volume levels?

because with the omni file for example, there is no whistle, but the volume during calls through the speaker is very very low ;(

bye!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
boost, loudspeaker, speakerphone, volume, whistle

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)