FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Towel Root [NE6] - Knox 0x0

262 posts
Thanks Meter: 125

By starnostar, Senior Member on 15th June 2014, 06:06 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So geohot announced last night that he has rooted 4.4.2, its specifically tailored to the S5's with locked bootloaders, but he states it should work on all devices with a kernel older than June 5th (Our latest update, NE6, is dated May 19th).

He also states it shouldnt trigger knox, but he makes no guarantees.

Its also just an apk which is awesome.

Im feeling bold today, so if nobody else gets around to testing it on the tmobile note 3, ill be testing it in a few hours on my lunch.

http://towelroot.com/
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2783157

RESTATING OBVIOUS: this isn't my work, all credit goes to geohot, I'm merely linking to it as our phone meets the criteria and should theoretically work works.

UPDATE

Worked without a hitch... Just make sure to install the latest SuperSU (download the zip from chainfires website, and extract SuperSU.apk from common)... It's newer than the play store version.
SuperSU zip:
http://download.chainfire.eu/447/Sup...SU-v1.99r4.zip

The play store version of SuperSU has been updated and should work fine now.

1) run towel root ("make it rain"), it will reboot automatically
2) immediatly after reboot, install latest SuperSU (before you run it)
3) run SuperSU, let it update binaries, it will freeze on disabling knox
4) reboot again, run again, disable knox will be successful.

IT DID NOT TRIP KNOX

Just to clarify, this device is a virgin (never been rooted before) running the latest NE6 update...

Restoring to stock (/w nothing tripped) should be as easy as flashing the stock NE6 tar via odin.

UPDATE 2
I can confirm by reply's here, as well as actually trying it on a friends phone that is is not working for NB4, but works perfectly fine on NE6

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to starnostar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift starnostar Ad-Free

15th June 2014, 08:05 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by starnostar

So geohot announced last night that he has rooted 4.4.2, its specifically tailored to the S5's with locked bootloaders, but he states it should work on all devices with a kernel older than June 5th (Our latest update, NE6, is dated May 19th).

He also states it shouldnt trigger knox, but he makes no guarantees.

Its also just an apk which is awesome.

Im feeling bold today, so if nobody else gets around to testing it on the tmobile note 3, ill be testing it in a few hours on my lunch.

http://towelroot.com/
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2783157

RESTATING OBVIOUS: this isn't my work, all credit goes to geohot, I'm merely linking to it as our phone meets the criteria and should theoretically work.

Let me know if it works for you I've got the galaxy s5 for T-Mobile but I'm not sure I want to try it until I've got proof on T-Mobile devices
15th June 2014, 09:02 PM |#3  
Flag Omaha
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Worst case scenario if I were to try and right now what would happen

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda premium
15th June 2014, 09:40 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajar0913

Worst case scenario if I were to try and right now what would happen

you would trip knox and/or have to flash a stock tar... ill be testing it in about 30 min.
15th June 2014, 10:19 PM |#5  
Keep us updated
15th June 2014, 10:22 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 287

More
There might be bugs since it was intended for the S5. It's not tailored for our devices. Geohot says the same thing. And he didn't say it shouldn't trip knox. Just threw it out there that it didn't trip it for him.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
15th June 2014, 10:30 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Moved to OP
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to starnostar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift starnostar Ad-Free
16th June 2014, 01:03 AM |#8  
Flag Bronx
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I can confirm that it works following starnostar's instructions.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
16th June 2014, 01:57 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 107

More
So I can go install a custom recovery thereafter
Hello and this is kind of newbee-ish I am an ATT customer looking (actually getting delivery tomorrow) for an N900T - i.e. Tmo Note - which needs to be sim ulocked after it is rooted and then a custom recovery - and then to my fav - an CM ROM.

I think if I do flash a custom recovery - it will trip knox - Just asking here to see if that's true or get some more insights into my plans for the device.
Thanks for reading so far.
16th June 2014, 02:41 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Not working 4.4.2 / first time root
I tried rooting following starnostar instructions and it didn't work. The binaries that SuperSU need wouldn't download after the towelroot initial reboot. Tried installing SuperSU (entire directory in file provided) from the phone/SD card with the same result. Did an uninstall of everything a few times. Reboot -> install tr -> reboot -> install SuperSU provided from phone/SD card (either) -> run SuperSU or reboot and run SuperSU. Tried with other super user apps (ChainsDD and ClockworkMod). Same result.

The only things I can think to do are disable Lookout, factory restart the phone or start then stop KNOX (I disabled it a little while back). Any ideas?
16th June 2014, 03:00 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Awesome news!!! Being new to rooting in general I'll wait until I see a bit more feedback, but very excited there is a new Knox friendly root available. Thanks for posting!

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)