[ROOT] With towelroot!

Search This thread

gigamchz

Jun 26, 2010
Hey Guys. So Some of you may know towelroot was just released by Geohot. I went ahead and tried it on my G2 runing stock 4.4.2 and it WORKED! I ran root checker after running the apk and it said I have full root level access. You just have to download SuperSu from market afterwards. I downloaded root explorer and was prompted with the prompt to grant root and all was well!

Link to original post: http://tinyurl.com/pykqkpt

1. Go to http://towelroot.com/
2. tap the logo for apk
3. Run the apk and follow directions within
4. After phone reboots, Install SuperSu

ALL DONE!

A side note, I haven't tried using rom manager to install custom recovery as I'm not sure if we've found a button code. If someone is willing to help me with that Id be grateful. I can't afford to brick this phone as it's my only phone work work and play.

cangri87

Dec 4, 2007
The OC - Saint City
All is working fine, flash twrp recovery with autorec app by cloudy.
As a side note, please donate to Dev if you can. I know i did.

Sent from my LG-D801 using XDA Premium HD app

jawash22

Feb 24, 2009
Texas
Hey Guys. So Some of you may know towelroot was just released by Geohot. I went ahead and tried it on my G2 runing stock 4.4.2 and it WORKED! I ran root checker after running the apk and it said I have full root level access. You just have to download SuperSu from market afterwards. I downloaded root explorer and was prompted with the prompt to grant root and all was well!

2. tap the logo for apk

ALL DONE!

A side note, I haven't tried using rom manager to install custom recovery as I'm not sure if we've found a button code. If someone is willing to help me with that Id be grateful. I can't afford to brick this phone as it's my only phone work work and play.

It worked for me, but can we install custom roms now since we can use autorec to install twrp?

yoerz

Jul 27, 2010
www.speedgeekny.com
I tried to install recovery with an app called RecoverX, it claimed to do its job but I can't get the device to reboot to recovery. Tried holding the power/volume down like they say but it didnt work.

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

This was already posted in the top level apps section for lg g2

LInk it?

jaed.43725

Nov 2, 2011
USA
When I see they said it would root a S5 on VZW I was pretty hopeful. I knew this was coming real soon. But I went ahead and did it the hard way anyway.

jamesd1085

Dec 6, 2012
Newark
I tried to install recovery with an app called RecoverX, it claimed to do its job but I can't get the device to reboot to recovery. Tried holding the power/volume down like they say but it didnt work.

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

LInk it?

Use flashify from the play store

gigamchz

Jun 26, 2010
All is working fine, flash twrp recovery with autorec app by cloudy.
As a side note, please donate to Dev if you can. I know i did.

Just to clarify, you've managed to install TWRP on your G2 and boot it into recovery with autorec? Just want to make sure before I try.
Never used autorec so if you've got a guide to link to that'd be great.

yoerz

Jul 27, 2010
www.speedgeekny.com
Use flashify from the play store

too late :) I used a autorec and actually got the phone to TWRP. I then proceeded (stupidly) erasing everything and wiping the device because I thought I'd be able to mount it and copy the CyanogenMod file I wanted.

Boy was I wrong.. TWRP did not allow me to mount the device to USB. And for some reason I couldn't get the right driver to install in Device Manager.

At one point I decided it would be a good idea to restart, now I'm stuck at boot loop and I can't get back into TWRP. I tried holding power+down, that forces it to restart a bunch of times. I held the UP button but that puts it into FIRMWARE UPATE mode which also doesn't allow ADB

How do I get back to TWRP? how do I flash Cyanogen mod through ADB

Any ideas please?

Last edited:

jamesd1085

Dec 6, 2012
Newark
too late :) I used a autorec and actually got the phone to TWRP. I then proceeded (stupidly) erasing everything and wiping the device because I thought I'd be able to mount it and copy the CyanogenMod file I wanted.

Boy was I wrong.. TWRP did not allow me to mount the device to USB. And for some reason I couldn't get the right driver to install in Device Manager.

At one point I decided it would be a good idea to restart, now I'm stuck at boot loop and I can't get back into TWRP. I tried holding power+down, that forces it to restart a bunch of times. I held the UP button but that puts it into FIRMWARE UPATE mode which also doesn't allow ADB

How do I get back to TWRP? how do I flash Cyanogen mod through ADB

Any ideas please?

Hold vol down + power button until screen flashes black followed by lg screen release buttons and quickly press both again and hold. It will boot you to a white screen asking you if you want to fully factory restore...press power to agree... Since twrp replaced factory recovery it will not wipe but instead take you into twrp...takes a couple tries sometimes... You need cm and gapps packages on your internal memory to flash through twrp

Reactions: yoerz

jawash22

Feb 24, 2009
Texas
If you wiped everything you will have to start over by flashing the original firmware again. It happened to me too because I didn't have the ROM I was flashing on my device already. I used this guide, http://youtu.be/Lg693AYgoTo, to flash back to stock JB, then upgrade again. Just be sure the rom is you want to flash is on your phone since USB won't work. It's no guarantee though, esp. since there is that driver error.

Reactions: yoerz

yoerz

Jul 27, 2010
www.speedgeekny.com
Hold vol down + power button until screen flashes black followed by lg screen release buttons and quickly press both again and hold. It will boot you to a white screen asking you if you want to fully factory restore...press power to agree... Since twrp replaced factory recovery it will not wipe but instead take you into twrp...takes a couple tries sometimes... You need cm and gapps packages on your internal memory to flash through twrp

OK, I got it back to TWRP, but now Windows 8.1 is still saying "Windows was unable to find a driver for this device"

I installed every driver I can find. Both on the LG Website and on XDA-developers.com

jamesd1085

Dec 6, 2012
Newark
OK, I got it back to TWRP, but now Windows 8.1 is still saying "Windows was unable to find a driver for this device"

I installed every driver I can find. Both on the LG Website and on XDA-developers.com

What are you trying to accomplish connecting to computer?
Nevermind I forgot you can choose files from computer when connected...but yeah...may need full restore...there are a few step by step threads on here to do so

Last edited:

jawash22

Feb 24, 2009
Texas
Same problem I encountered, so I just figured USB is a no go and had to do the firmware update and then start over with ROM and GAPPS on device next time.Hope you get it...it sucks with all the excitement and all the time us G2 owners had to wait!

yoerz

Jul 27, 2010
www.speedgeekny.com
Ugh. This sucks. this file is taking forever to download for some reason and I'm in no mood to start dealing with this ****.

I'm just going to take it to the T-Mobile store tomorrow.

scottx .

yoerz

Jul 27, 2010
www.speedgeekny.com
OH wow. I ended up finding this wonderful little tool called LGMobile Support Tool which completely and automatically reset my device back to factory setting! That was SUPER easy.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

2. tap the logo for apk

ALL DONE!

Thanks for the morning entertainment. And Homer Simpson was the perfect avatar choice.

2. tap the logo for apk

ALL DONE!

It worked for me, but can we install custom roms now since we can use autorec to install twrp?
    I install this and then the exposed framework and now my knock on to wake screen is not working. What can be the cause of this problem?
    No, look for stump root and use brute root method.. Might take 5 mins but it works.