FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] how to root Sph-L710/L710T S3 4.4.2 (updated as of 8/19/2015)

3,547 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,590

Post Reply Email Thread
I'm sorry i had the wrong links and because of this i had miss information. So i formally apologize by updating with the proper links.

this first method doesn't work with the Sph-L710T or the Sph-L710 on NJ2/NJ3

First method: You can root the stock 4.4.2 ND8/NDC

1st. Make sure your on 4.4.2 ND8 or NDC

2nd. Download Towel Root

3rd. Place Towel Root in sdcard or internal storage

4th. With any file manager find and install Towel Root

5th. Open Towel Root and well root

6th. Go to play store and download https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....supersu&hl=en and also https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....busybox&hl=en let super user update the binary

7th. Flash any recovery you want {personally i went with PhilZ Touch (this was before PhilZ had a root Option)}

8th. Enjoy your rooted stock 4.4.2 ND8/NDC

Down below is one more way too root Stock ND8/NDC/NJ2/NJ3 or NF4/OA3 (L710T) and basically any other update

(link to the almighty ODIN)
Second Method: mostly recommended
1st. Odin flash TWRP
2nd. In Odin choose PDA, PA or AP then select the TWRP Tar you just downloaded
3rd. Make sure Auto reboot is unchecked (also at this time your s3 should be in download mode)
4th. Hit start and let Odin let it finish!!
5th. Hold power button to turn off your S3, after it turns off about 10 seconds later it will turn back on to the battery charging screen so before that quickly hold Volume+ and Home, to boot into recovery
6th. now your in TWRP
7th. so to root your stock rom with TWRP flash the following file SuperSU.zip by Chain fire (pro tip. Install any other custom recovery the same way I did for TWRP above if it is in .tar format)

and here is Philz recovery for the D2Lte 6.48.4 ( which you must flash in TWRP)

and here is TWRP that was made specifically for the D2Rephersher/triband/L710T TWRP (which you must flash in a recovery)

Third method Most recent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidyman

This is in reference to Samsung Galaxy S3 for Boost Mobile SPH-L710.

Just want to let anyone out there that updated their Boost S3 to L710VPUC0J1 know that you can still root and/or ROM your phone.
Use the instructions to (use Odin to) update the recovery to TWRP first (in the second set of instructions). I had trouble trying to go right to PhilZ Recovery (which I believe is based off of ClockWorkMod). I Had to do the TWRP (twrp-2.8.7.0-d2spr.img.tar) first.
It was the only way to get it to actually accept the recovery, not sure why, maybe because the latest Samsung firmware fixed an exploit or two.
This is an older phone, but it is still a viable one.
I hope this helps someone out there.
It took me a while to figure this quandary out.
As always this WILL flag KNOX, but I'm sure this won't be an issue at this date and time (8/2016).

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ainz_Ooal_Gown For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ainz_Ooal_Gown Ad-Free

14th July 2014, 03:33 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
work on ND8 rom? sprint phone?
14th July 2014, 05:31 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Osos

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekone

work on ND8 rom? sprint phone?

i want to say yes but towel root does come with a warning that it might brick your device.....but i want to say yes since most things that can be done to the ND8 can be done to the NDC and also in reverse order.....so try it and report back it will be good to know if it works on both bootloaders
The Following User Says Thank You to Ainz_Ooal_Gown For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ainz_Ooal_Gown Ad-Free
3rd September 2014, 10:18 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Thumbs up Sprint S3 Android 4.4.2 ND8-It works!
I just used this method to root my Sprint S3 running Android 4.4.2 and ND8, since my USB port is on the fritz, and it worked successfully. I have root, and was able to do a full apps backup with Titanium Backup, and gained root access in ES File Explorer. Next, download and install a custom backup. Thanks, great job, and could not have been made easier to do!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to churninern For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift churninern Ad-Free
5th September 2014, 06:39 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
oops
Rooted the phone in one click. Unfortunately, I lost all data (no 3G or 4G connection). Did I goof? I'm looking in the stickies and can't seem to find an answer. I'd appreciate any help I can get.
The Following User Says Thank You to henhun For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift henhun Ad-Free
5th September 2014, 07:12 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Osos

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by henhun

Rooted the phone in one click. Unfortunately, I lost all data (no 3G or 4G connection). Did I goof? I'm looking in the stickies and can't seem to find an answer. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

ND8 or NDC? have you tried updating your profile/PRL?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ainz_Ooal_Gown For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ainz_Ooal_Gown Ad-Free
5th September 2014, 07:40 AM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th_Hokage

ND8 or NDC? have you tried updating your profile/PRL?

Ya know. People keep talking about ND8 and ND___. I have no idea what that means. I know I should be embarrassed.
UPDATE: FIGURED IT OUT, BASEBAND VERSION. GOTCHA. IT IS NDC.

I was JUST coming back to update my post. I DID update the PRL and restarted my phone. That seems to have done the trick. Thank GOD I got my data connection back!! It worked. Even though I found the info somewhere else, thank you so much for the quick reply. PRL update fixes the problem. You're awesome.
The Following User Says Thank You to henhun For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift henhun Ad-Free
5th September 2014, 07:58 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 37

Donate to Me
More
I used it before i had a custom recovery. And on reboot i wouldnt have root. After i ran it root checker told me i was rooted then reboot killed. I installed philz and all was ok

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Free mobile app
5th September 2014, 10:04 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Osos

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbnorton0524

I used it before i had a custom recovery. And on reboot i wouldnt have root. After i ran it root checker told me i was rooted then reboot killed. I installed philz and all was ok

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Free mobile app

many users of basically the same phone report different things with every root method out there. If it worked for you that's great tell other users what you did for it to work and if it didn't work, then ask for help and you will get help; some people don't have success with any method while others do with all of the methods.....my phone falls under every method.....
26th October 2014, 04:11 AM |#10  
Flag Lima, Ohio

More
Successful Towelroot on VM Galaxy S3 4.4.2.NDC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th_Hokage

you can root the stock 4.4.2

first step make sure your on 4.4.2

second step download Towel Root

third step place Towel Root in sdcard or internal storage

fourth step with any file manager find and install Towel Root

fifth step root

sixth step go to play store and download Superuser (Chainfire) and also Busy Box (Stericson) let super user update the binary

seventh step flash any recovery you want personally i went with Philliz Touch

eighth step if you want flash a custom rom now if not enjoy your rooted stock 4.4.2

Straight forward, fast and easy. I did notice the following:
1) Updating binary reported it did not successfully install. I've seen this before on other devices, but everything worked well. Ext SD and Camera all OK. Everything works fine so far - Titanium, Nandroid, Root Browser, etc.
2) At one point, I was directed to install Busy Box. Having done this on other devices, I said "Yes" and installed it.
3) I see that my device now shows Device Status as Custom ( was Normal before, if I remember correctly). Is this due to Busy Box?
4) Is Device Status the only way to know the KNOX Status? I see no yellow triangle as I did on my Galaxy Reverb.
5) I got a Google warning to uninstall Towelroot since it is usafe and a security exploit. I understand that.
I would like to verify the KNOX status and if tripped in the Towelroot process, to let potential users know of that possibility.
Thank You! And thanks to everyone who has continued to work on keeping root free!
Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to dave260 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dave260 Ad-Free
26th October 2014, 09:01 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Osos

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave260

Straight forward, fast and easy. I did notice the following:
1) Updating binary reported it did not successfully install. I've seen this before on other devices, but everything worked well. Ext SD and Camera all OK. Everything works fine so far - Titanium, Nandroid, Root Browser, etc.
2) At one point, I was directed to install Busy Box. Having done this on other devices, I said "Yes" and installed it.
3) I see that my device now shows Device Status as Custom ( was Normal before, if I remember correctly). Is this due to Busy Box?
4) Is Device Status the only way to know the KNOX Status? I see no yellow triangle as I did on my Galaxy Reverb.
5) I got a Google warning to uninstall Towelroot since it is unsafe and a security exploit. I understand that.
I would like to verify the KNOX status and if tripped in the Towelroot process, to let potential users know of that possibility.
Thank You! And thanks to everyone who has continued to work on keeping root free!
Dave

Knox only notifies Samsung that your device isn't stock anymore not necessarily rooted like with a custom recovery and then flashed mods and what not but if you Odin the stock rom it resets the counters so Samsung will never know....and that i have noticed TowelRoot doesn't trip that counter.....only the recoveries and when you update the binary (<---completely forgot to fix that) you must hit the option normal not TWRP/CWM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)