FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM][ICS][STOCK] sediROM - non-dev discussion thread

2,005 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,339

Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from xdajog: sediROM v2 released (2016-01-04) ! TONS of improvements and fixes..
sediROM - or why I created a new ROM based on the good old ("ancient") ICS

Long story short. The following list are my requirements to a custom ROM:
  • I need my phone everyday so I need to resist that it is working everyday (means rock stable).
  • I do NOT need the latest available Android version.
  • I WANT to have the other components (like Kernel etc) up to date.
  • I REALLY REALLY need headset profiles for my bluetooth devices (Jabra, Nokia and Plantronics)
  • I need root access, of course.
  • I want to get the best battery life possible.
  • GB is too old for me.
  • Stock ROM is "too stock" for me.

I have tried all available captivate ROMs starting from ICS over Jelly Bean to KitKat.

Android < v4.x are too old for my requirements. Several features missing and well it even LOOKS old..
Android >= v4.1 are working well with the Glide but there is 1 main killer function which is completely broken since Android 4.1: Bluetooth Headset Profiles
(The Bluetooth stack was completely re-developed in 4.1)

The version which is the best compromise of beeing fresh enough - but working like a charm is Android v4.0.4 (ICS)

The problem is.. there is no ICS based ROM out there which completely fullfill ALL my requirements.
So I thought it is time for me to create my own daily-use feature-complete and rock stable ROM for the Samsung Captivate Glide / SGH - I927..

IMO the best working and best battery saving ROM for the Glide is PACMAN ROM (used pac_i927-milestone.1.RC1.4.zip)!
The problem: the earliest version of it is based on Android 4.1 which is a No-Go for me because of Bluetooth HSP.
--> I recommend the mentioned version of PACman as your daily driver if you do NOT need BT HSP. I had it running several weeks without any problems but really great battery saving.

.. well that said I couldn't fork PACman ..

So I've downgraded to all available ICS based ROM again (which was VERY painful because of broken links to the apps because of different mount point names etc).
I have tried those all again (IcePOP, Cranium, Stock, DMans ICS, etc.) but no was "as good as" LiteROM (IMHO) - which I used several weeks before.

.. so +1 for forking LiteROM ...

The problem with LiteROM is that there are still issues and no further development is done on it.

Some of the major LiteROM issues for me (those are also the reasons why I first tried newer Android versions):
  1. It looses the paired devices after a reboot ! (but that sounded to me like it can be fixed somehow)
  2. The lags/waits when pressing the power button to switch the display on
  3. Battery life is not the best
  4. not the latest Kernel
  5. many little things in the installer like it re-installs everything when only switching to another modem etc.

Nevertheless LiteROM is still the best base I can get (because it fits to my requirements best and is rock stable) and therefore I started in May 2014 the build of sediROM which is a fork of LiteROM v0.9.

UPDATE:
sediROM is officially available and have tons of fixes and enhancements inside. Check it out in the DEV thread:
--> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2789727

Best regards
xdajog
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to steadfasterX For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift steadfasterX Ad-Free

20th June 2014, 02:02 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1,431

Donate to Me
More
what kernel do you use? Stock or litekernel?
Replacing kernel is very easy.

No documentation for BT sound, I dont think anybody would fix it. I've tried to find dev to find alsa HAL ( that is for voip sound fix), and no luck, while fixing alsa much more easier then fix BT sound.

Somebody tried to port cm10, it has many issue, you can find that topic in dev forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to bubor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bubor Ad-Free
20th June 2014, 05:51 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
The idea for sediROM is to have a very well tested setup of default settings (like which kernel, etc.) but the free choice to modify it later whenever you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubor

what kernel do you use? Stock or litekernel?

Well not 1 only ... there are 4 available atm (and more when I find them and find them good enough...) (while using LiteKernel v1.2.2 as default atm - but you have the free choice)
  1. Stock Kernel
  2. LiteKernel v4.0 OverClocked and without UnderVoltage
  3. LiteKernel v1.2.2 GPU not OverClocked and with UnderVoltage
  4. LiteKernel v1.2.2 GPU OverClocked and with UnderVoltage
I tried with the ardatdat 4.x Kernels,too but without success.

Quote:

Replacing kernel is very easy.

Well yes and nowhere such comfortable as in sediROM You can choose one of the above within the aroma installer. The same for several Modems which coming with LiteROM already (nice for testing around).

Quote:

No documentation for BT sound, I dont think anybody would fix it. I've tried to find dev to find alsa HAL ( that is for voip sound fix), and no luck, while fixing alsa much more easier then fix BT sound.
Somebody tried to port cm10, it has many issue, you can find that topic in dev forum.

BT sound? Do you have any issues here? For me BT sound itself is working great (using it daily in my car)?! But you talked about voip - is your problem skype related?

Regards
xdajog
The Following User Says Thank You to steadfasterX For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift steadfasterX Ad-Free
20th June 2014, 08:02 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1,431

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdajog

The idea for sediROM is to have a very well tested setup of default settings (like which kernel, etc.) but the free choice to modify it later whenever you like it.

Well not 1 only ... there are 4 available atm (and more when I find them and find them good enough...) (while using LiteKernel v1.2.2 as default atm - but you have the free choice)

1. Stock Kernel
  2. LiteKernel v4.0 OverClocked and without UnderVoltage
  3. LiteKernel v1.2.2 GPU not OverClocked and with UnderVoltage
  4. LiteKernel v1.2.2 GPU OverClocked and with UnderVoltage
I tried with the ardatdat 4.x Kernels,too but without success.

Well yes and nowhere such comfortable as in sediROM You can choose one of the above within the aroma installer. The same for several Modems which coming with LiteROM already (nice for testing around).

BT sound? Do you have any issues here? For me BT sound itself is working great (using it daily in my car)?! But you talked about voip - is your problem skype related?

Regards
xdajog

would you point to sediROM? I couldnt find anything with google.
I dont know what is litekernel v4, I tought the last one was 2.x or less.
Litkernel has many power save improve, but it has many bugs too,

You have said already headset doesnt work, or does it work? I'm confused.
The Following User Says Thank You to bubor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bubor Ad-Free
20th June 2014, 09:09 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubor

would you point to sediROM? I couldnt find anything with google.

It will be available soon - The first barrier was the post restriction which is ok now And now I need to find a place for uploading the 430 MB and then I will post it in the dev area..

Quote:

I dont know what is litekernel v4, I tought the last one was 2.x or less.
Litkernel has many power save improve, but it has many bugs too,

--> http://goo.im/devs/thegreatergood/LiteKernel/ICS

Quote:

You have said already headset doesnt work, or does it work? I'm confused.

Oh no I said Bluetooth is generally working fine in Android v4.0 and therefore in sediROM / LiteROM but not in other ROMs which are based on Android 4.1 or higher

--> The only thing which are not perfect in v4.0 (or especially in LiteROM) is that Bluetooth Pairing are lost after rebooting.
--> ... and that is fixed in sediROM
The Following User Says Thank You to steadfasterX For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift steadfasterX Ad-Free
20th June 2014, 10:13 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Thumbs up
Smashing! I have been roaming around for something like this! Bloody awesome! Let me know when you have the download link ready! I will be glad to test it, and if it is stable as stock ICS I will definitely keep it as my DD! Thanks in advance for this! If you say it is indeed a fork for LiteROM with no bugs it will be the s#$)!!! And of course a keeper. Same as you, I´ve tried almost every ROM available for our cappy, but never totally satisfied with none. Hoping this ROM is what I have been looking for. What exactly did you fix, aside from the pairing issues? Any luck with the automatic toggles, Force close issues, deep sleep power button....
Man gimme more details! Freakin excited here jue jue jue jue
20th June 2014, 11:22 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasuazo

Smashing! I have been roaming around for something like this! Bloody awesome! Let me know when you have the download link ready! I will be glad to test it, and if it is stable as stock ICS I will definitely keep it as my DD! Thanks in advance for this! If you say it is indeed a fork for LiteROM with no bugs it will be the s#$)!!! And of course a keeper. Same as you, I´ve tried almost every ROM available for our cappy, but never totally satisfied with none. Hoping this ROM is what I have been looking for. What exactly did you fix, aside from the pairing issues? Any luck with the automatic toggles, Force close issues, deep sleep power button....
Man gimme more details! Freakin excited here jue jue jue jue

whooa keep calm my friend
as said I try to solve all the problems I saw in my case and that's what I fixed. If that fixes all yours.. - I don't know

The thing which sounds interesting to me is that you talk about automatic toggles and force closes.
I never seen automatic toggles and force closes but it may be because I use another Kernel. Well we will see when you have tried it .

I cannot promise it is bug free (in this early state of this ROM there is at least 1 known bug - to be honest) but I may can help to fix things..

Rest and details coming soon...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steadfasterX For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift steadfasterX Ad-Free
21st June 2014, 01:11 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
I'd definitely be interested in testing your ROM. Your idea is more or less what I wanted for my i927. Hope to be able to try it soon.
21st June 2014, 01:47 AM |#9  

More
xdajog quick question mate, which Kernel have you been using so far? Stock Kernel, Litekernel (version)?
21st June 2014, 01:57 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 42

More
I remember lite kernel causes battery drain in ics

Sent from my SGH-I927 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Androide3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Androide3 Ad-Free
21st June 2014, 02:12 AM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Androide3

I remember lite kernel causes battery drain in ics

Sent from my SGH-I927 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Exactly, that is why I would like to know which kernel would be recommended Never tried liteRoM with stock kernel
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)