| sediROM - or why I created a new ROM based on good old (ancient) ICS
| Read the background and the whole story and all the discussions about sediROM here:
Some first words:
A lot has changed since I forked LiteROM v0.9 in May 2014 and therefore started sediROM. sediROM has grown up in the meanwhile to a standalone ROM with some mods coming from LiteROM but in comparison to the current state of sediROM they are not many anymore.
LiteROM was a very good starting point for me to dive into ROM development and doing my first steps here so many thanks going to thegreatergood, of course.
As a result of that learning process I will change the base of sediROM in one of the next major releases (see Roadmap) to remove the rest of LiteROM stuff which I do not need/use anymore.
- Debloated, Partially De-odexed, Zip-aligned, SuperSU, Busybox, Init.d Support, Tons of Memory and Build.prop Tweaks, Sysctl Tweaks, 14 toggles Mod, Power Menu, Tethering fix and more...
- Aroma Install
- Customizable Apps, Tweaks, Mods
- BLN Support
- Selectable Kernel, Modem, Bootanimation
- No Samsung backdoor inside!
Full Feature List:
Explanation: Default values in "Easy Installation" mode are marked in the following lists in RED
sediROM flashing will be done by AROMA installer which gives you 2 selectable modes when starting:
- Easy Installation:
This will do all the hard stuff for you and installs besides the ROM itself well tested preselected apps & enhancements.
You need to choose this mode when you install sediROM the first time or want to install an upgraded version of sediROM.
Default values in "Easy Installation" mode are marked in the following lists in RED
- Modify Installation:
This mode needs an existing sediROM installation first. So you can choose the Easy Installation mode first and after that has finished simply choose this mode to modify things like the Kernel, Modem whatever. This mode can be choosen whenever you want - e.g. you can test a Kernel X and after a while you want to test another one - no problem - simply restart the Installer and choose the Modify Installation mode!
- sediKERNEL v1.0 (Kernel 3.1.10) (see changelog for details)
- CM11 based (Kernel 3.1.10)
- JB 4.2 LiteKernel release-20130222 (see changelog for details)
- JB 4.2 LiteKernel release-20130221 (see changelog for details)
- LiteKernel v1.2.2 GPU not OverClocked and with UnderVoltage
- LiteKernel v1.2.2 GPU OverClocked and with UnderVoltage
- LiteKernel v1.2.2 Original LiteRom v0.9 Kernel.Tweaked - LiteKernel v1.2.2 overclocked with UnderVoltage
- LiteKernel_l2hsicpatched-bubor-r20150506 with L2_HSIC patch based on code of 2014-04
- Stock ICS Kernel UCLJ3 (Kernel 3.1.10)
- Enhanced UCLJ3 stock Kernel
- init.d support (this enables sediROM bluetooth fix for this kernel)
- added custom boot animation support
- Stock ICS Kernel UCLH2 (Kernel 3.1.10)
Some meaningful Apps & Tools:
- ATOM launcher
- Several other launchers available in "modify" mode (Apex, Nova, ADW, Stock)
- Ghostery, Quickpic, ES File Explorer, AndroidTerm, Vodoo Sound Control
- Camera apps: Open Camera, HD Camera Ultra, Stock, ICS, JB)
- Kii Keyboard, Samsung Keyboard (default enabled), Go Keyboard, Stock Keyboard
"Under the hood" - Integrated Features:
- The possibility to execute shutdown scripts (and for boot-up but every Kernel in sediROM supports that out-of-the-box)
- The possibility to choose a non-rooted mode! If you're running Apps which detects root (and hiding is not possible) or if you want to be most secure than this mode is for you. Enterprise users may want this to be complain with their security policy e.g.
(Major) Bugfixes (related to ICS and/or LiteRom):
- That was driving me nuts and costs WEEKS to fix -> BT fix (better a fully working workaround) for loosing paired devices after a reboot!!!
- Lags/waits when pressing the power button to switch the display on
- Within Aroma installer: Many many fixes and enhancements when modifiying or/and installing the ROM to get the most out of it
- There are many other fixes which can be found in the full changelog
- Device encryption was not working in LiteROM. That was fixed in sediROM since v1.1.
- Check the open bug reports for a complete list: Click
HOW-TO flash & Download:
- sediROM is not fully finished nor bugfree (yet).
- But is has less bugs and more features then it's fork "LiteROM" and fixes bugs within stock ICS as well.
- I use it continuesly since 1th of May 2014 and sporadically developing / enhancing sediROM since then.
Installing sediROM may result in several explosions in your garden (or in that of your neighbour) .. you have been warned!
DO NEVER USE OPTIONS WHICH ARE MARKED AS "TESTING" IN THE INSTALLER!
I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE (nor the things that happens to your house and/or car!)
- Do a nandroid backup and ensure you have an EFS backup, too !! EFS: (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2019540)
- COPY THAT BACKUP TO AN EXTERNAL DEVICE TOO !!!! --> SAVED MY DAY TODAY BECAUSE OF MD5 MISMATCHES THAT CAN HAPPEN.. (I cannot recommend that "fixes" cursing around to simply workaround MD5 sum checking! If the md5sum mismatch you should NOT restore IMO. That may simply not work or can result in bad behaviour etc minutes later or some days later)
- Check your backup! (e.g. md5sum -c nandroid.md5) in BOTH places (on the Glide AND on your external ressource)
- Install TWRP(!) or migrate to it! DO NOT USE CWM - flashing may fail with CWM (and is besides that not recommended).
DL- Link CWM: CWM v6 (click)(several users reported CWM will not work! use TWRP!)
DL- Link TWRP: twrp v2.7.1 (click)
- You should have a windows box running Odin + TWRP near - just for the case.
- I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE (nor the things that happens to your house and/or car!)
- Copy BOTH the sediROM zip AND the sediROM md5 file to your Glide!!
- Boot into Recovery mode (Poweroff the device then Power on while holding Volume Down)
- Ensure that you use TWRP and that the MD5 sum file is in the same directory as the sediROM zip! Only then TWRP will automatically check the MD5 !
- Flash the latest sediROM zip file
- Choose "Easy Installation" mode
- Answer the few questions and wait until the flashing finishes
- When finished - reboot and wait until it has fully started up
- The Android setup wizard should come up (if not -> flash again
- Go through the wizard and reboot once again afterwards
- Please read the FAQ (click)!
- Please file a bug if you encounter problems: File a bug (click here)
Take also a look on:
Special THANKS (please give them a Thanks-Click ! That costs you nothing but 2 seconds (for each)!!)
- thegreatergood for LiteROM v0.9 and LiteKernel builds --> Give a "Thanks" here
- bartito for Shutdown-Script option (and therefore the possibility to fix the BT issues!!) --> Give a "Thanks" here
PS: Happy for every single click on my "thanks" button (you are free to do that on the changelog, roadmap and faq post again... )
And as an absolutely premiere I want to say thank you to maddbomber83 for the donation.
You're the first one (until now the only one ) who say thx this way. Highly appreciated and motivating.
sediROM --> https://github.com/xdajog/android_i927_sediROM
sediKERNEL --> https://github.com/xdajog/kernel_samsung_i927
sediROM, ROM for the Samsung Captivate Glide
xdajog, bubor (for all his work! highly appreciated!), maddbomber83, organic2 (for heavy testing!)
Source Code: https://github.com/xdajog/android_i927_sediROM
ROM OS Version: 4.0.x Ice Cream Sandwich
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.1.x
ROM Firmware Required: sediTWRP or TWRP >= v2.7
Based On: STOCK, LiteROM
Current Stable Version: v2.1 (2.1.2)
Stable Release Date: 2016-01-04
Current Beta Version: ---
Last Updated 2016-07-26