FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

DNScrypt proxy for Android install

388 posts
Thanks Meter: 63

By Draygon, Senior Member on 24th June 2014, 10:10 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello,

I want to install DNScrypt proxy 1.4 on my android phone. You can get it here : download.dnscrypt.org/dnscrypt-proxy/

Could someone please make a tutorial an tell me how to install this? I want it to work with following DNS server: https://dnscrypt.eu/

It is a great enhancement in security and I would be glad if someone can get it to work and tell us.

Regards
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Draygon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Draygon Ad-Free

25th June 2014, 07:43 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
Is nobody interested in this?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Draygon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Draygon Ad-Free
27th June 2014, 06:15 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Can't believe there is no response. Is no one of the XDA members who looked at this able to install DNScrypt on there phone?
Do you prefer flappy bird clones over such a security enhancement?

Bump again then.
The Following User Says Thank You to Draygon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Draygon Ad-Free
28th June 2014, 10:45 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Bump
The Following User Says Thank You to Draygon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Draygon Ad-Free
30th June 2014, 01:06 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Another bump for all secureless xda members
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Draygon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Draygon Ad-Free
2nd July 2014, 08:14 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
XDA members are not able to install a tar.gz package on their android phone? Aww, really guys?!
3rd July 2014, 06:26 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
B u m p
4th July 2014, 11:16 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Seriously, no one...?
7th August 2014, 06:40 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
How to install dnscrypt on android
Requirements:
  • rooted phone
  • installed busybox
  • some handy tools like terminal emulator or ssh daemon for testing purpose, file explorer with acces to system partition
  • dnscrypt: https://copy.com/M6r38z6g3iyj (thanks to GitHub esp. @daddybr, KionLi...) - files for arm7
About:
We need to run dnscrypt every time phone is booted - for this purpose is necessary to add script "dnscrypt" into "init.d" directory In this script-file you can also change parameters like used resolver/provider etc.
dnscrypt-proxy is main binary file which will provide dnscrypt service for us. There is also script to start/stop dnscrypt-proxy service anytime we need and made some other usefull things for us...

How to:
  • check if directory "init.d" in /system/etc/ exist - if there is not such directory use program "Universal Init.d" and create it - otherwise follow bellow
  • extract downloaded files and put it into same directories they are, just to system partition (u can use any file browser with access to system partition, eg. Solid Explorer)
  • check if there is file "resolv.conf in /system/etc/ directory
    - if there is not such file create it and put this into it "nameserver 127.0.0.1"
    - if there is such file check if "nameserver 127.0.0.1"and delete else
  • all files putted in directory /system/xbin/ should have right permission to work correctly
Checking functionality:
Easiest way is to visit "www.opendns.com/welcome"
If it is working you will get something like "Your Internet is safer, faster, and smarter..."
If it is not working you will get something like "OOPS..."

Other way is to run nslookup in terminal emulator and check if you get 127.0.0.1 and name, eg "nslookup 8.8.8.8"
The hardest way is to use wireshark or tcpdump and analyze traffic while browsing on the phone..., eg. http://askubuntu.com/questions/10536...s-is-encrypted
Also you can check if dnscrypt-proxy is running in terminal , eg. "ps w |grep dnscrypt"
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to menhir For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift menhir Ad-Free
18th August 2014, 02:40 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
DNS setting
Did anyone got this one to work? I did all the steps mentioned but it seems that the resolv.conf is not being checked. I even try with apps to change dns settings (dnset, dnschanger..) it just seems that the dynamic dns assigment takes precedence, it keeps going to the dynamically assigned DNS server when on wifi and LTE. Aside from that I did not have any issues, dnscrypt runs fine with all arguments. I'm trying this on a Verizon Galaxy S5.
18th August 2014, 11:55 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by <dexter>

Did anyone got this one to work? I did all the steps mentioned but it seems that the resolv.conf is not being checked. I even try with apps to change dns settings (dnset, dnschanger..) it just seems that the dynamic dns assigment takes precedence, it keeps going to the dynamically assigned DNS server when on wifi and LTE. Aside from that I did not have any issues, dnscrypt runs fine with all arguments. I'm trying this on a Verizon Galaxy S5.

Yes, working here.
Had trouble with afwall though, but this post http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...22&postcount=8 helped me.

Script i've used:

Code:
$IPTABLES -t nat -D OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination 127.0.0.1:53 || true
$IPTABLES -t nat -D OUTPUT -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination 127.0.0.1:53 || true

$IPTABLES -t nat -I OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination 127.0.0.1:53
$IPTABLES -t nat -I OUTPUT -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination 127.0.0.1:53

$IPTABLES -A "afwall" --destination "208.67.220.220" -j RETURN
You can restrict the last line to only UDP 443 if you want.
Confirmed packets with tcpdump, blocked UDP 53 at my router.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)