Remove All Ads from XDA

[Galaxy K Zoom] [Root] [Kernel] Stock kernel with permanent autoroot

2,871 posts
Thanks Meter: 17,927

By timduru, Senior Member on 27th June 2014, 05:46 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
KatAutoRoot

This method uses a modified stock boot.img for the Galaxy K Zoom C115
that will root automatically the current /system in place without flashing a new system image.

Download: http://downloads.timduru.org/android...AutoRootV3.zip

What you get:
- Stock kernel 3.4.39-1837070
- Root + SuperSu apk
- sysrw/sysro
- addblocker (/etc/hosts)
- init.d support
- microSD card write fix for non system applications (modified platform.xml)

The good thing with this new method is that it will also auto-reroot the system if su disappears.
So for example you can flash a new official stock system.img and then on the 1st boot it will root it again automatically, no need to do anything else.
(as long as you don't flash another boot.img of course)

What you need:
- Computer with Odin working (Tested with V3.09)*
- File from above.

How to root:
- Unzip the file on the computer with odin ( you get a .tar.md5 file)
- Shutdown mobile
- Start mobile in odin mode*
(push *together: volume down + home + power, * when confirmation screen appears, push *vol up to confirm)
- Launch Odin
- Connect phone by USB *(Odin will display *"Added", if it works and com port should be listed)
- In Odin options you only need Autoreboot checked
- Click on AP choose the *.tar.md5 unzipped previously
- Wait that odin checks the file (can take a few seconds and odin can freeze during that time, just wait)
- Click on Start
Odin will flash the image and reboot

If you are having wifi password issues, to make sure it works let it boot fully once after flashing, then reboot
(you might have to reenter your wifi password the 1st time you flash)

Happy rooting !

As usual, use at your own risk

Credits:
- Dan Pollock for the original ad-blocker file http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/
- ChainFire for SuperSU
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to timduru For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift timduru Ad-Free

27th June 2014, 08:04 PM |#2  
Flag NORWICH, England
Thanks Meter: 641

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by timduru

Download: http://downloads.timduru.org/android...ermaRootV2.zip

It contains a modified stock boot.img for the Galaxy K Zoom
that will root automatically the current /system in place without flashing a new system image.

Happy rooting !

As usual, use at your own risk

Fantastic! Thanks for this, much appreciated
27th June 2014, 11:37 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Hi Timduru!
What are the advantages of this method compared to the first one? I rooted with the first method and all is working very good but i'd like to know the differencies!

Sent from my rooted, deodexed, zipaligned, busyboxed, Knox free Galaxy S5 Zoom with stock kernel and Xposed-modded stock ROM.
28th June 2014, 06:04 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by livio80

Hi Timduru!
What are the advantages of this method compared to the first one? I rooted with the first method and all is working very good but i'd like to know the differencies!

This one will not flash a system.img , but root your current /system in place.
it will also auto-reroot if you update the system and lose su
That also makes it a smaller download, only a few MBs compared to almost a GB before

If you already used the 1st method you don't need to flash this one.
But will be easier to use this one after the next update in that case.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timduru For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift timduru Ad-Free
28th June 2014, 12:42 PM |#5  
Flag NORWICH, England
Thanks Meter: 641

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by timduru

This one will not flash a system.img , but root your current /system in place.
it will also auto-reroot if you update the system and lose su
That also makes it a smaller download, only a few MBs compared to almost a GB before

If you already used the 1st method you don't need to flash this one.
But will be easier to use this one after the next update in that case.

I tried the original method of rooting and it worked without any noticeable issue. Then I read your post about possible kernel conflicts, so I re-rooted with your latest method (didn't want to try the French version in case of potential problems in the future) However, after this re-rooting, I could not update the SU binaries using the normal method, after each attempt it disabled my SIM card which was a worry, but after 2-3 attempts I tried the CWM/TWRP method to update the binaries and that worked oddly enough. Since then everything appears to be working 100% OK.

The main thing is I have my ad blocking, Titanium Backup and most importantly SD card access for my apps!

Thanks again
The Following User Says Thank You to apprentice For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift apprentice Ad-Free
28th June 2014, 12:53 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by apprentice

However, after this re-rooting, I could not update the SU binaries using the normal method, after each attempt it disabled my SIM card which was a worry, but after 2-3 attempts I tried the CWM/TWRP method to update the binaries and that worked oddly enough. Since then everything appears to be working 100% OK.

The main thing is I have my ad blocking, Titanium Backup and most importantly SD card access for my apps!

Thanks again

Yeah, if you had an already rooted system by a different method before,
the thing to do before flashing this one is to cleanup the previous /system/xbin/su or reflash a stock system.img
otherwise it will not reinstall.
Updating through recovery like you did is fine too.
28th June 2014, 03:49 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
New version V3

Download: http://downloads.timduru.org/android...AutoRootV3.zip

ChangeLog:
- Add busybox to /sbin/
- Fix SecureStorage errors (wifi passwords might not get stored properly)

To make sure it works, after flashing let it boot fully once, then reboot (you might have to reenter your wifi password the 1st time you flash)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to timduru For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift timduru Ad-Free
28th June 2014, 05:44 PM |#8  
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Thumbs up Thanks a LOT!
That was what I am waiting for so long since I selled my rooted S4 Zoom to get the K Zoom!
29th June 2014, 10:57 AM |#9  
Flag Kent
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Thank you for this, had my Zoom for a few days and was frustrated not to be able to restore some backed up apps

Just a question, since the device now shows status as "custom", how would you go about un-rooting so you can restore using Samsung Kies if needed?
29th June 2014, 11:48 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LususNaturae

Thank you for this, had my Zoom for a few days and was frustrated not to be able to restore some backed up apps

Just a question, since the device now shows status as "custom", how would you go about un-rooting so you can restore using Samsung Kies if needed?

Same as above but you'd use the official firmware zip,
open the file and just leave the boot.img and system.img
and flash that.
29th June 2014, 05:35 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thumbs up
Sooooo glad to hear this. thx man.

the problem is there're various versions of k zoom.
currently 2 model in china. c1116 for china unicom wcdma only. c1158 for china mobile td-scdma. not to mention c115 for many other markets.

is this method suit for all model, or some of them. if so, which model you guys successfully tested?

will test on my c1116 next week. but if anyone can provide their details, will be a great help.

again, great work, it's been a life saver since my ****ty carrier simply deleted any google service and had to stick to whatever bone he throws.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
galaxy kzoom root kernel, galaxy-k-zoom

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)