TWRP Lead Developer Dees_Troy for continuously developing, improving & maintaining TWRP, TeamWin team & numerous developers that has contributed to TWRP & many doesn't know its Igor Sorocean initially submitted MrJavum codes so that TWRP officially supports MediaTek devices & most importantly MrJavum for discovering TWRP works on MediaTek devices & written codes to support proper backup formatting for MTK device . . .
This tool uses EnJens for repack based on the original Unpack/ Repack concept by Russian Master Shifu Michfood . . .
Not forgetting my Master Shifu Carliv who has taught me how to compile & continuously guiding me to the right direction, dhinesh77 for sharing his super simple technique to patch ubifs for TWRP, awaaas for sharing his tips & findings for building TWRP from source for MTK devices ( Updates ), cyberangel22k for beta-testing custpack backup/restore on MTK Alcatel, yazidkucrit for discovering that TWRP also works on MT6573 & all MTK Developers that has contributed to the MTK platform . . .
Double-click TWRP Setup.exe & read the on-screen instructions
Where is the Downloads . . .
Known problems on MTK devices
- Mostly older intermediate MediaTek devices such as MT6589, MT6572 that comes with only 6Mb recovery partition, most probably won't work. However, it works on my legacy MT6573, MT6577 because its kernel is much smaller. There has been feedback from fellow xda members that some latter MediaTek devices comes with 7Mb & 8Mb. Latest MT6592 has a recovery partition of more than 8Mb.
- In the past, there has been reports that Touch doesn't work at recovery on some MTK devices, try using different releases of kernels from your device. Recovery is independent so GB, ICS or JB kernel will work provided they are from your device. If you don't have different kernels from your device manufacturer either live without Touch or try porting other recovery, it might work.
- This TWRP was compiled from source without adding any sauce or spice & it works for most MTK devices. However, if the mount USB doesn't work then refer to a.marduk solution . . .
- # Even though the MTK SoC is designed by MediaTek but the one that produces it is hundreds if not thousands of factories so some might use other combinations to boot up the recovery. It is a known problem that some MTK doesn't wanna boot up recovery the normal way so try Popey900 technique. Standard procedure : Take out the battery, wait a while, put it back, hold Volume Up or Down, don't let go then press the Power button until it boots up #
DO NOT USE IT ON LOCKED BOOTLOADER MTK DEVICES SUCH AS ASUS, HTC, LG, SONY, MOTOROLA & OTHERS <- Click Here. IT WILL BRICK IT, refer to here for more info . . .
Even though wrong installation of custom recovery normally will bricks the recovery only however it is better to be safe than sorry.
TWRP is packed with many features so typically it will work on MTK devices with above 6Mb recovery partition however you can try your luck.
Tested working perfectly on my legacy MTK device, MT6573 & MT6577.
YOUR TOOL DOESN'T WORK . . .
i've seen this at many threads & also mentioned this many times at my other threads, most frequent reply is it doesn't work, you have given nothing at all to figure out what went wrong . . .
Please list out as many info as possible then it'll be easier to trouble-shoot & read EVERYTHING before hands-on . . .
- What OS you are using on the PC & your MTK...
- Did you disable UAC & Anti-Virus
- Did you execute the porting tool at C: drive if you're using XP else then at your Desktop
- Did you try Run as Administrator
- Could it be some other software that you installed that interfere with the porting tool then uninstall it
- Did you try it on other PC with other version OS or even different USB port
- Try uninstall all previous adb driver -> Device Manager -> View -> Show hidden devices -> uninstall all ADB Interface/ Android device -> reboot -> re-install
- Did you try latest google ADB driver while for XP try this one
- Attach both log.txt from porting tool & recovery.log from TWRP, attach also stock recovery.img/ boot.img & ported TWRP recovery.img too so that i can compare it to see where it went wrong
Please bear in mind that this tool has been PROVEN to work & many has ported it to their MTK device so try to do you own trouble-shooting first & when you found the solution then you are most welcome to post it here . . .
And if you do found a bug on this porting tool, please do report it here too so that i can fix it . . .
Updates 03 July 2014
Great news, TWRP ubifs patch has been officially submitted to omni for review . . .
Attention all MTK ubifs users,
Guys, please hit the thanks button for dhinesh77 to show your gratitude & appreciation, he has taken all the trouble to get ubifs officially supported on TWRP even though he uses a Samsung nowadays . . .
Thanks bro for doing all this & going thru the hassle for the whole MTK ubifs community, you're the best . . .
Easy Magic TWRP Installer for MediaTek Devices ONLY (Developers ONLY), Tool/Utility for all devices (see above for details)
Source Code: https://github.com/omnirom/android_bootable_recovery
Current Stable Version: 126.96.36.199
Stable Release Date: 2014-12-07
Last Updated 2016-03-27