FORUMS

Yikes! I just fixed my A2DP skipping problem with this patch!

3,551 posts
Thanks Meter: 39

By Sleuth255, Retired Senior Moderator on 1st December 2006, 11:38 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Background:

When jompao (his original thread on this is here) brought an interesting A2DP workaround to light I was intrigued:

Apparently there's this free, opensource taskmanager which, when running, corrects the Hermes skipping problem! So I tried it for myself and damn if it wasn't true! Not only did it allow my iPAQ stereo headset to operate w/o skipping but the non skip range on my HS-12W was doubled too!

So, I obtained the code and found out what was going on. Turns out, this free little gem of a task manager determines CPU usage by running an infinite loop thread (it does a "while(1)" for all you code jocks) at THREAD_PRIORITY_IDLE, then, based on a timer trigger, it periodically stops the thread and sees how much time it got. The more time it gets, the more idle the cpu being the rationale here.

btw: Thanks for generously donating your Taskmanger to the opensource community Yuichiro Ishitani!

Anyway, I said to myself "Heck Sleuth, you can build a service process that does this in about 5 minutes". So I did & now I listening to skip-free Jimmy Buffett on my iPAQ headset with my little A2DP fix service running in the background.

heheheheh.....

Installation Instructions

1. Transfer A2DPFix.cab from the attachment to your Hermes device
2. Tap on the cab to install. Note: you must install this to your device! The service dll can't run from extrom or your storage card!
3. When the installation is complete, reset your Hermes
4. Enjoy skip free A2DP!

Early implementor additional instructions

I had to change the service key to allow automatic start so you will need to manually remove the old key. You must do this before installing v1.0. Here's how:

1. Stop the A2DPFix service
2. Remove the entire HKLM/Services/A2DPFix key from your registry.

Latest Breaking News:

12/03/06
There may be registry settings, previously done in an attempt to work around the skipping problem, that are now hindering rather than helping. Changing quality and other A2DP settings with the Hermes registry Tweaker may actually contribute to this. If you are still skipping with a known good ROM/headset combination, please check your registry settings against these and report on your findings!

(all DWORD values are decimal)

/HKLM/Drivers/BuiltIn/BtA2dpSnd
remove any Priority256 value
HKLM/Drivers/BuiltIn/WaveDev,
Priority256=149
/HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Bluetooth/AudioGateway
Capability=37
/HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Bluetooth/A2DP/Settings
UseJointStereo=0
BitPool=58
MaxSupportedBitPool=80
Remove all other values from this key including SampleRate

Don't forget to reset your Hermes if you change any of these!

12/02/06
As promised, there's now a CAB based installation
ROM version dependency confirmed! This patch's effectiveness is inconsistent with the orignal v1.18 TyTN ROM. YMMV on this ROM for sure.
12/01/06
The success of this patch may also be related to the ROM version you're running. I have the latest TyTN ROM loaded and it has quite a few out-of-the-box performance tweaks which are also included in the latest Cingular and DoPod ROMS.

Known Good ROMs/Headsets

These ROMs are known to benefit from applying this patch:

TyTN v1.35 ROM
Cingular v1.34 ROM

In addition to the few headsets that used to work, the following additional Headsets now work with this patch (I'll add more as I find out)

SE HBH-DS970
Moto HT820
Logitech iPod Headset
HP iPAQ Headset
Jabra BT 620S

As always, Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: zip A2DPFix v1.0.zip - [Click for QR Code] (9.0 KB, 10122 views)
2nd December 2006, 12:51 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Tried it according to your instructions (imported the .reg with Total Commander), started BT and set my headset as Wireless Stereo (for some reason the TyTN doesn't keep the setting even when selected in the partnership settings.

And it still skips (drops audio) for me.
2nd December 2006, 12:56 AM |#3  
OP Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Milwaukee

More
Is the service started? What A2DP headset are you using? Did you try the Taskmanager workaround I referenced, and if so did that work for you or not?
2nd December 2006, 01:00 AM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleuth255

Is the service started? What A2DP headset are you using?

Yes, checked with dotFred's TaskMgr. It autostarts after a soft reset it seems?
2nd December 2006, 01:02 AM |#5  
Flag Milwaukee

More
It will auto-start only if you're also running SPB Pocket plus.

edit:

I'm trying a reset now to see if it's still working afterward....

edit2:

Still working for me. Set your following registry entries to the following and see what happens:

HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Bluetooth/A2DP/Settings

UseJointStereo = 0
BitPool = 58
MaxSupportedBitPool = 80

also: What ROM are you running?
2nd December 2006, 01:09 AM |#6  

More
Quote:

Yeah, I have SPBpp
2nd December 2006, 01:24 AM |#7  

More
Quote:

edit:

I'm trying a reset now to see if it's still working afterward....

edit2:

Still working for me. Set your following registry entries to the following and see what happens:

HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Bluetooth/A2DP/Settings

UseJointStereo = 0
BitPool = 58
MaxSupportedBitPool = 80

also: What ROM are you running?

Done, still skipping. Although it looks like it's skipping a little bit less now. Also, the TyTN is completely unusable when music is playing, it is VERY slow to respond to anything other then the pause/stop and forward/backward buttons on my headset.

ROM version: 1.18.255.3
ROM date: 07/22/06
Radio version: 1.03.03.10
Protocol version: 32.34.7010.01H
ExtROM version: 1.18.255.106
2nd December 2006, 01:33 AM |#8  
Flag Milwaukee

More
Yeah, that's normal with your ROM. You're on an original TyTN ROM. You'll even lose the digitizer occasionally with A2DP running. I wonder if this patch is ineffective on your ROM. I'm using the South African v1.35 TyTN ROM currently.

Edit:

Did you try the Taskmanager workaround? I'm betting that won't work for you either. Part of this patch's requirements may be upgrading to either the latest Cingular, DoPod or TyTN ROM. These ROMs have a quite a few performance tweaks that may just allow my A2DP patch to "take it over the top" from a skipping perspective.

What BT headset are you using btw?
2nd December 2006, 01:44 AM |#9  

More
Quote:

Yeah, that's normal with your ROM. You're on an original TyTN ROM. You'll even lose the digitizer occasionally with A2DP running. I wonder if this patch is ineffective on your ROM. I'm using the South African v1.35 TyTN ROM currently.

I'm putting off upgrading as long as I can (don't feel like reinstalling all my apps all over again ) But it seems I might have to try that now.
2nd December 2006, 01:48 AM |#10  

More
Quote:

Did you try the Taskmanager workaround? I'm betting that won't work for you either. Part of this patch's requirements may be upgrading to either the latest Cingular, DoPod or TyTN ROM. These ROMs have a quite a few performance tweaks that may just allow my A2DP patch to "take it over the top" from a skipping perspective.

What BT headset are you using btw?

That was the first thing I tried. I have the Jabra 620s headset
2nd December 2006, 01:52 AM |#11  
Flag Milwaukee

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiryu

I'm putting off upgrading as long as I can (don't feel like reinstalling all my apps all over again ) But it seems I might have to try that now.

Yeah, I know what you mean... I'm getting used to the routine now tho but it still takes a while. Flashing itself is less stressful now that I have a known good computer with a known good USB port which I use for flashing. The 20 minute Hermes flash process caused high anxiety for sure the first time I tried it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)