FORUMS

Please sell me your car charger

299 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By vapor, Senior Member on 8th December 2006, 06:30 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have been trying to get hold of a working car charger for the Universal that would charge the phone while it is running navigational programs but to no avail.

If anyone has any for sale, do let me know.
8th December 2006, 09:13 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor

I have been trying to get hold of a working car charger for the Universal that would charge the phone while it is running navigational programs but to no avail.

If anyone has any for sale, do let me know.

The car charger costs barely $5 in china and on ebay. It can be purchased from anywhere. I use the car charger that i got with my Holux GPS reciever. I have a lot of car chargers. This is how they work. You plug in your USB cord into the car charger and the car charger goes into the cigarette lighter in the car. I am not selling mine. Go get one from ebay. Just search on ebay for USB car charger.
9th December 2006, 03:51 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Philadelphia

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear

The car charger costs barely $5 in china and on ebay. It can be purchased from anywhere. I use the car charger that i got with my Holux GPS reciever. I have a lot of car chargers. This is how they work. You plug in your USB cord into the car charger and the car charger goes into the cigarette lighter in the car. I am not selling mine. Go get one from ebay. Just search on ebay for USB car charger.

I have done so and the thing, its either I'm having bad luck with them or there's something wrong with my phone. The best I ever got was that it charged the phone when it was OFF but when I switched it on, the charge disappears.

I tried using my GPS's car charger and another USB Car Charger as well but they both do not work and I do not know why.

I have spent so much searching for the right car charger which is why I am so desperate now just to get a second hand one that would definitely work.
9th December 2006, 11:19 PM |#4  
Flag Herts.
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

I have done so and the thing, its either I'm having bad luck with them or there's something wrong with my phone. The best I ever got was that it charged the phone when it was OFF but when I switched it on, the charge disappears.

I tried using my GPS's car charger and another USB Car Charger as well but they both do not work and I do not know why.

I have spent so much searching for the right car charger which is why I am so desperate now just to get a second hand one that would definitely work.

I think you'll find this has been discussed here before, try searching.
FYI, I used the charger from my Holux GPS, and whilst it works, it dosn't charge whilst using TomTom. If you try a long trip with this setup, you will find that the battery charge drops. This charger is good only for topping up the Uni whilst not in use. I use the genuine iMate charger and this does run TT and charge at the same time. You need the higher amperage of the iMate charger.

Mav
10th December 2006, 01:52 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrik64

I think you'll find this has been discussed here before, try searching.
FYI, I used the charger from my Holux GPS, and whilst it works, it dosn't charge whilst using TomTom. If you try a long trip with this setup, you will find that the battery charge drops. This charger is good only for topping up the Uni whilst not in use. I use the genuine iMate charger and this does run TT and charge at the same time. You need the higher amperage of the iMate charger.

Mav

Nope, my car charger works fine in charging the Universal while in use and turned off. It just charges a bit slower while in use and thats quite an obious reason.
Only thing to consider is how much the output levels are of the car charger.
10th December 2006, 02:28 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Philadelphia

More
Thanks for your input guys

I have done my research on the car chargers and from my understanding, the only reason could be the shorting of pins 4 and 5, or something along those lines. Other than that, I have tried out various models of chargers and they do not work.

For those who say you need a higher output, I have tried those rated at 1000mAh which is that charger output for the wall unit. This charger connects to the USB cable yet even when I tried a couple of types of USB cables, it still did not charge the phone.

I also used a lower output of 850mAh and it worked fine with the cables tested abouve, so it shows the cable had no problem. But it could only charge the Universal when the phone was turned off. When switched on, the phone does not even charge, not even in the least bit and I am not sure why. Surely 850mAh is more than enough to get it charging while on the navigational (TomTom) programs because when I connect my Universal to my laptop to charge, I am still able to run TomTom and that charge is only rated at 500mAh.

Thus you can see why I am so frustrated with all these charges. If any of you are able to point me in the direction of getting an original chrager online, I would be more than grateful for your help and guidance. I also wouldn't mind buying a third-party charger as long as it works perfectly with the phone when running nagivational programs.
13th December 2006, 01:55 PM |#7  
Flag Riyadh

More
This is the one i have. works brilliantly, charges universal and BT GPS reciever and lets me use my copilot navigation software.
http://www.easydevices.co.uk/sp/sear...tno=MTCUSJASJR
http://www.mdapro.co.uk/shop/xcart/T...ker-pr-36.html
13th December 2006, 10:56 PM |#8  
Flag Herts.

More
Quote:

Thanks for your input guys

<snip>

I also used a lower output of 850mAh and it worked fine with the cables tested abouve, so it shows the cable had no problem. But it could only charge the Universal when the phone was turned off. When switched on, the phone does not even charge, not even in the least bit and I am not sure why. .

Well, I can only guess the 1000mAh you tried may have been defective???
My car charger is the iMate genuine car charger. This rated at 1000mAh and works great. It charges and runs TT6 no problem. (well, that was untill it packed up the other night so I'm sending back under warranty) But it did work great.

All the best

Mav
14th December 2006, 11:45 AM |#9  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 105

More
Poundland have a USB car adapter that works perfectly with your USB lead to charge the Exec - works fine on mine!
14th December 2006, 01:56 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Philadelphia

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrik64

Well, I can only guess the 1000mAh you tried may have been defective???
My car charger is the iMate genuine car charger. This rated at 1000mAh and works great. It charges and runs TT6 no problem. (well, that was untill it packed up the other night so I'm sending back under warranty) But it did work great.

All the best

Mav

I thought that could be the case but it charges my GPSr fine so had to strike that one out.
18th December 2006, 09:16 PM |#11  
Essex

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wassa

This is the one i have. works brilliantly, charges universal and BT GPS reciever and lets me use my copilot navigation software.
http://www.easydevices.co.uk/sp/sear...tno=MTCUSJASJR
http://www.mdapro.co.uk/shop/xcart/T...ker-pr-36.html

Hi Wassa you se co pilot - so do i - so please can you tell me what onthe easy devices what you chose for the correct cable that will owrk with the bluetooth gps unit.

cheers mate - thanks for your help.

lr
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)