FORUMS

Run ActiveSync when you WANT

140 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By LuXx, Senior Member on 16th December 2006, 03:31 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
is there a way to stop activesync from running in background on my 8525? my pda freezes every once in awhile and have problems with connecting to pc. to connect to pc i have to go to memory and shut off activesync before plugging in usb. i've tried to delete repllog.exe in the notification queue with no luck. help LuXx
16th December 2006, 03:57 PM |#2  
Senior Moderator / Forum Admin
Thanks Meter: 13,826

More
Reducing lock-ups and freezing:

A key consideration here is the active sync application that is linked with many lock up problems - particularly overnight or during active syncs auto scheduling process.

A quick way to temporarily shut Active Sync down (as well as any other programmes running in the background) would be say Magic Button or HTC X Button which are quicker than using the running programmes in the memory menu to do this.

However Active Sync can start again by itself via various scheduling routines. There is a way to prevent this known as the "Fake Server Trick":

This 'server trick' was discovered by an Aximsite forum member known as Invid
This post originally created by IamNotMe fourpages.co.uk (Adapted)

"1. Turn on your Device
2. Go to Start > Programs > Activesync. This will open the Activesync program.
3. Tap Menu at the bottom right hand corner of the screen. This will bring up the Options Menu. Notice the option Schedule... is greyed out? This is the all-critical option we need to get access to. But as it's disabled we can't change Activesync's default synchronisation schedule.

Ok, so how do we enable the Schedule option? Easy!!! Fool Activesync into thinking there is an Exchange Server to sync with:

1. From Activesync's Menu tap on Add Server Source.
2. In the following screens you can enter any old garbage. It does not matter, but just in case your unsure, just type the following in the indicated boxes:

Server Address: fake
Tap Next
User name: fake
Password: fake
Domain: fake
(Ticking save password or going into the Advanced menu makes no difference, so no need to bother).
Tap Next
Untick all of the 'Data you want to synchronise' options
Tap Finish

3. Ok, we're done creating the server. You should now see in Activesync's main screen your normal Activesync connection(s), and a new connection called Exchange Server.
4. Go back into the Menu, and lo and behold the Schedule option is now enabled! Go ahead and tap it!
5. You will see that both options in the Schedule screen may be set to Every 5 Minutes
6. Using the drop downs, change both the Peak times and Off-peak times boxes to Manually.
7. Press the OK button at the top right of the screen.

Congratulations! Activesync is now gagged from opening on it's own and ruining your life! Your work is not done just yet though - time to clean up and get rid of the now unwanted fake Exchange Server.

1. Go back into Activesync's Menu, then Tap Options.
2. Highlight Exchange Server, then tap Delete. A warning message will appear about removing files etc, but as you have no files associated with the fake Exchange Server, it's nothing to worry about - just tap Ok.
Edit: Some people have reported that settings "stick" better if you Do Not delete the fake server just leave it, it does not actually do anything anyway - it was just a way to set active sync to manual operation not automatic. Item 3 below, if you leave it in place will therefore show two Sync Connections i.e. the real and the fake.
3. The list will now only show your remaining PC Sync connection(s). Obviously do not delete these!"

You should also:
A
ensure Active sync is turned off fully after use. Use the likes of Magic Button say or HTC X Button to do this.
B
consider using a scheduler to perform a soft reset automatically say before any alarms go off in the morning. This ensures unwanted programmes like active sync and others do not crash the system when the alarms go off or crash the device when you try to switch on. SKSchema or xbar would fit the bill for this.
C
Avoid leaving device on charge overnight.
D
Running only one or two Today Plugins and avoiding some apps that like to synchronise automatically with internet sources push mail / weather etc. (although with a good neat set up these can operate ok)
E
ensure any applications required on wake up are installed to Main memory (today plug ins, wallpapers etc), with all others installed to SD Card
F
Do not overfill main memory Hermes performs better with a good bit of spare space.
G
Do NOT let your device go to sleep by itself! Always use the on/off button to put it in sleep mode. In fact I would go further and suggest you go to:
Start>settings>system>power>advanced and remove the ticks in the two little boxes.
Just remember to use that on off button. Of course the device should be able to sleep by itself BUT this XDA does not perform well and often crashes if you let it sleep automatically.
H
Always use a task manager to close running applications. You can go into settings, running programmes to do this but it is far easier to have running programmes shown in your task bar and an easy way to fully close them. (That is what a task manager does).
I
Regularly clear out the PIE cache or better still move your Internet Cache to the SD Card. Use a Registry Editor (PHM Registry Editor http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/RegEdit/)

PocketIE Cache in storage card
Create these folders:
\Storage Card\Pocket IE\Temporary Internet Files\Storage Card\Pocket IE\Cookies\Storage Card\Pocket IE\HistoryAdd the following registry keys, string data type:
[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\Shell Folders]"Cache"="\Storage Card\Pocket IE\Temporary Internet Files""Cookies"="\Storage Card\Pocket IE\Cookies""History"="\Storage Card\Pocket IE\History"

Links
Magic Button: (Task Manager)
http://www.trancreative.com/mb.aspx

HTC X Button (Task Manager)
HTC X-Button.CAB

X BAR
http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=20823

SKschema
http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=20385

Mike
16th December 2006, 04:33 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Orlando

More
thats what i needed . thank you!!!
16th December 2006, 09:42 PM |#4  
NYC
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXx

is there a way to stop activesync from running in background on my 8525? my pda freezes every once in awhile and have problems with connecting to pc. to connect to pc i have to go to memory and shut off activesync before plugging in usb. i've tried to delete repllog.exe in the notification queue with no luck. help LuXx

In addition to the fake server trick, I also saw last night something about turning off "advanced network functionality" in Start>Settings>Connections>USB to PC.

I just unchecked it within the last 24 hours, but I'm hoping it will have a positive effect on this kind of problem.
3rd January 2007, 04:57 AM |#5  

More
Just to clear this up, this *trick* will also stop activesync from launching even when I'm not connected via USB. I notice through out the day I will close activesync 5 or 6 times (I use magic button) it seems to like to launch on it's own, I suspect this auto scheduling was the cause.
3rd January 2007, 05:35 PM |#6  

More
yeah it does work well... the only time active sync pops up is right after a soft-reset (it's not in startup folder so i don't know where it's being lanuched from) and when you plug it into the computer (which is fine). Other than that it stays close and the phone runs a lot faster and has more free RAM when active sync is not running. Again, another no-brainer performance fix the OS and Phone Mfg'rs completely missed!
4th January 2007, 09:59 PM |#7  
Flag New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 22

More
DirectPush?
But if I am using DirectPush, how does this help me?
4th January 2007, 10:15 PM |#8  
Senior Moderator / Forum Admin
Thanks Meter: 13,826

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by perlmane

But if I am using DirectPush, how does this help me?

Well is doesn't really as you need active sync running!

Mike
4th January 2007, 10:46 PM |#9  

More
Wow. This is brilliant, thanks!

db
12th January 2007, 06:17 PM |#10  
Flag New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechannon

Well is doesn't really as you need active sync running!

Mike

Something wierd happened. I had to do a hard reset. Since it recovered from that, I cannot use DirectPush anymore. The ActiveSync choices no longer list "As items arrive" as a choice. It only lists the time choices and manual. How do I restore the "As items arrive" option?
13th January 2007, 12:17 AM |#11  

More
After hard-reset the activesync connection wth your pc is erased. Erase all activesync connections both on PC and on device and reconnect them via usb and after "pairing" you will have back your options. Prior that deselect 'advanced network functionality' in connections>USBtoPC
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)