[Q&A] [MOD][GUIDE][CUSTOM]Increase system partition size

Search This thread
Q

QA Bot

Q&A for [MOD][GUIDE][CUSTOM]Increase system partition size

Some developers prefer that questions remain separate from their main development thread to help keep things organized. Placing your question within this thread will increase its chances of being answered by a member of the community or by the developer.

Before posting, please use the forum search and read through the discussion thread for [MOD][GUIDE][CUSTOM]Increase system partition size. If you can't find an answer, post it here, being sure to give as much information as possible (firmware version, steps to reproduce, logcat if available) so that you can get help.

Thanks for understanding and for helping to keep XDA neat and tidy! :)

olcayertas

May 20, 2012
İstanbul
www.linkedin.com
Error formatting preload

Hi, firts of all thanks for this nice post. I have tried both pit files for 4GB and 8GB with Apollo kernel. I am able to format my sdcard and Windows recognizes it. I have installed unofficial CM12 but it boot loops. The only error I am getting is "Error formatting /preload". I have installed and booted successfuly this CM12 before resizing my system partition. My system partition seems fine with 500MB size. What sould I do?

Best regards.

Saber

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 9, 2014
Melbourne
joshualay.xyz
Xiaomi Poco F3
Hi, firts of all thanks for this nice post. I have tried both pit files for 4GB and 8GB with Apollo kernel. I am able to format my sdcard and Windows recognizes it. I have installed unofficial CM12 but it boot loops. The only error I am getting is "Error formatting /preload". I have installed and booted successfuly this CM12 before resizing my system partition. My system partition seems fine with 500MB size. What sould I do?

Best regards.

Have you tried using Gustavo kernel to format preload, then flash ROM, then flash apolo kernel?

shkedov

Jan 14, 2015
Jerusalem
buddy1234567 said:
UPDATE2: After mounting both /sdcard and /usb connection in CWM recovery using Gustavo's kernel, Windows recognized the device and I was able to copy rom and gapps and then flash. I didn't realize there was an option to mount /usb connection (!).
[\quote]

Dude, I saw you formatted your /sdcard, but after mounting it aint clever to copy immediatly your stuff back in. After succeeding mounting a partition you have to format it before or you may face some errors in the future because of remnants and leftovers of the previous session.

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

Trying an other pit file with 1GB system partition solved my problem :)

dude, maybe your problem in the previous pit file was just manually mounting directly from the kernel? It can happen sometimes when flashing a new pit.

The_Saint1965

Feb 2, 2015
Thanks for the excellent guide, I used Gustavo and flashed to CyanogenMod 12 Beta 13 no trouble at all, formatted OK at step 10 so completely hassle-free

Geronimous

Sep 21, 2011
Softbricked my phone, by having it rooted with stock ICS, and applying some Samsung firmware upgrade. Boot would get stuck in logo, and was not able to get into recovery.
SO first I flashed a kernel with CWM together with the PIT file. Then upgraded CWM to the latest version with Kit-kat support, as I wanted to upgrade to Lollipop since I was already wiping my phone.
Everyhting flashed ok, but I was not able to get it to format to default. Windows 8.1 also could not see both internal and external SD cards. I did get the 'device connected/disconnected' sounds.
Decided to try and format to Ext4, and that worked. SD mounted and was formatted, was recognised in Windows and could finally install the ROM and GAPPS :)

Green Guguman

Feb 11, 2015
Do you have 2G-3G pit file for i9100

after install flashing unofficial 5.0.2 rom + GAPPS it's almost took all 1GB of system partition

Saber

Apr 9, 2014
Melbourne
joshualay.xyz
Xiaomi Poco F3
after install flashing unofficial 5.0.2 rom + GAPPS it's almost took all 1GB of system partition

You can use a smaller version of gapps if you want (micro or nano pa gapps). However, if it works fine, there is no need to worry. Since apps will be installed in the data partition anyway, the problem with the system partition space can be ignored.

Gsstudios

-iHackerz-

Nov 16, 2013
Glina
I'm trying to flash the 4GB split pit file through Odin but it just doesn't seem to change the system size. I've tried with different odin versions, different .pit files, flashing with .tar kernels and roms, nothing works, the system, data and usb stays the same. Just to mention, I have already done this before and flashed a 3gb pit which worked. I tried to change it into 4gb instead as I was running out of space and it somehow it doesn't work now. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Never mind, I solved it. For those having similar problems just do a factory reset after, then it shows the correct size.

Last edited:

mohammed charfa

Feb 19, 2015
help !!

s2 hardbreak after trying to increase the partition size for flashing with lollipop rom.
I'm trying to flash the 4GB pit file via Odin and gustavo kernel(kk-kernel-04-02-CWM-for ODIN)in pda case; re-partion is ticket after i click start . finally odin case is green and pass is affiched .but the devise is not rebooted.
galaxy s2
pda:i9100XWLSW
ROM:Wizzedkatv3.3
kernel: dorimanx-v8.43

Last edited:

Saber

Apr 9, 2014
Melbourne
joshualay.xyz
Xiaomi Poco F3
s2 hardbreak after trying to increase the partition size for flashing with lollipop rom.
I'm trying to flash the 4GB pit file via Odin and gustavo kernel(kk-kernel-04-02-CWM-for ODIN)in pda case; re-partion is ticket after i click start . finally odin case is green and pass is affiched .but the devise is not rebooted.
galaxy s2
pda:i9100XWLSW
ROM:Wizzedkatv3.3
kernel: dorimanx-v8.43

If device doesn't reboot, pull out battery, reinsert, quickly do button combination to go to recovery. If you can't reach recovery but can go to download mode, try doing the process again and try the 3gb pit file.

Mo2men1

Mar 15, 2015
I want to increase the system partition size so that i can use LP on my phone, but i don't want to flash a new Kernel i want to use the stock kernel for my phone, Now my mobile is on stock kernel and stock Rom 4.1.2, can i use the PIT files to increase the system partition then flash the LP Rom or KK 4.4.4 without changing my kernel ?? what do i use in odin as PDA ??

Anders256

Mar 30, 2015
Less then ten posts. Guess this post will disappear somwwhere..

Anyway, I updated with PIT 1GB_6GB and gustavos Kernel. Format with 'default' of SDCard0 went OK but afterwards I couldn't mount SDCard0. Reformated with 'ext4' and remounted SDCard0. And now everything seems to be working fine with Lolipop 5.0.2.

Thanks for the guide!!

Saber

Apr 9, 2014
Melbourne
joshualay.xyz
Xiaomi Poco F3
I want to increase the system partition size so that i can use LP on my phone, but i don't want to flash a new Kernel i want to use the stock kernel for my phone, Now my mobile is on stock kernel and stock Rom 4.1.2, can i use the PIT files to increase the system partition then flash the LP Rom or KK 4.4.4 without changing my kernel ?? what do i use in odin as PDA ??

Well if you're upgrading android versions, the kernel has to be changed anyway. Kernels are android version dependent and vice versa. Your phone will not boot with the wrong version of kernel. Just follow my guide carefully and you should be fine. In odin, PDA is the one you want to flash the kernel .tar file in. And for the pit, it's pretty self explanatory (there's a separate option to select pit file).

uno mas

Jul 30, 2011
yellow triangle

Hi everyone!

I have done this instruction step by step but I had yellow triangle. So I had to roll back to stock and reflash SlimSIber 4.4.4.
I have resized partitions by
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s2/orig-development/repartition-memory-s2-t3018749

FreeZeee

Jan 25, 2014
Hi, i flashed 1GB3GB PIT, I format everything but when I flashed SlimBean 4.2.2 and booted, I didn't have mounted Internal memory. I have only MicroSD card and partition for apps openable. I tried to flash stock 2GB Pit but it didn't worked, same error. Can anyone help me?

makix13

Jul 26, 2008
Hi gsstudios,
Perhaps it's an stupid question but to be sure, Gustavo's kernel include cwm or twrp, isn't it?.
I mean, I'm now with stock Samsung rom, if I'll follow your guide and using Gustavo's cwm kernel with Odin I can access cwm recovery to install LP rom, or I need to upgrade recovery before?
Thanks in advance

Dark1Angel

Apr 3, 2015
One question: i heard that when i repartition, the sd suffers some damage(decreases lifespan). Is it true?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Free mobile app

cherryb8844

May 24, 2015
Doing all process and my s2 repartitioned thanks gsstudio i have a question
u already said we dont flash stock rom on modified system partition why ?
Ok when i want to flash my stock rom so do i flash stock pit with stock rom sorry i apology for my week English
Or i flash stock pit with Gustavo's kernel after this process I'm able to flash my stock 4.1.2 rom.