FORUMS

Vista WMDC (final) / Orbit sync problem.

583 posts
Thanks Meter: 36

By debully, Senior Member on 25th April 2007, 09:05 PM
Thread Deleted Email Thread
17th May 2007, 11:31 PM |#21  
OP Senior Member
Flag Worcester

More
try connecting on a freshly rebooted computer with NO SD card in the device.

I think Microsoft has ruined the driver / WM support in the latest release of WMDC 6 as it worked fine in beta3.

Just glad that a few others have got this problem as I thought I was going mad!
18th May 2007, 08:06 AM |#22  
Flag Maastricht
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by debully

try connecting on a freshly rebooted computer with NO SD card in the device.

I think Microsoft has ruined the driver / WM support in the latest release of WMDC 6 as it worked fine in beta3.

Just glad that a few others have got this problem as I thought I was going mad!

We're finally getting somewhere, such a simple thing to try, but I never realised it could be that simple. Though the problem still remains . This is what I did:
- Turned phone off, pulled out SD card, booted again
- Turned " advanced USB connection" off
- Rebooted PC
- Connected the PDA

And the installation process never went so fast and fluently, it immediatly started installing the drivers
(really thought it was gonna work this time). Only this time it didn't install " Windows Mobile Remote Adapter" but this time it installed "Smart Phone USB Sync" ( see attachment ). But it won't launch WMDC and when I manually launch it he still can't see the phone. Dammn this is difficult...
Thnx for all the help already
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	check.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	39307  
18th May 2007, 04:48 PM |#23  
OP Senior Member
Flag Worcester

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neozzz

We're finally getting somewhere, such a simple thing to try, but I never realised it could be that simple. Though the problem still remains . This is what I did:
- Turned phone off, pulled out SD card, booted again
- Turned " advanced USB connection" off
- Rebooted PC
- Connected the PDA

And the installation process never went so fast and fluently, it immediatly started installing the drivers
(really thought it was gonna work this time). Only this time it didn't install " Windows Mobile Remote Adapter" but this time it installed "Smart Phone USB Sync" ( see attachment ). But it won't launch WMDC and when I manually launch it he still can't see the phone. Dammn this is difficult...
Thnx for all the help already

Slow your PC down somehow - maybe encode a video or put it into power saving mode if its a laptop - just make sure everything is on the go slow:

Then open task manager, goto 'Processes' tab - click where it says 'Image Name' so that names are sorted alphabetically (reverse order). Plug in phone - when wmplayer starts, highlight it and click end process and yes.

Leave it alone for about 3 minuites (a process started for me and downloaded the correct driver but gave no outward indication)

Your phone will now sync.

Please hassle micosoft about this issue here:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...xp=&sloc=en-us

Other links I found interesting:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...ivesync&q=wmdc
19th May 2007, 02:21 PM |#24  
Flag Maastricht

More
PROBLEM SOLVED!

Finally my problem is solved!! Thnx for all your help debully. This is what I did to solve it:

1. I installed Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit, I used to have the 32 bit version on my AMD 64bit proccessor

2. So my whole pc was fresh again, I configured my wireless lan pci card. And launched 3 times Windows Update to make sure I had all the newest drivers.

3. Then I downloaded WMDC (64 bit version!), after I installed I checked Windows Update to see if there were any WMDC updates. But he didn't find any.

4. I hard-resetted the phone, and turned "advanced USB connection" off.

5. Then I pulled my storage card + sim out off the phone.

6. Now I finally connected the phone, and strangely enough Vista was installing something like "USB Serial for Artemis" , was too late to make a printscreen. After that it installed "Smartphone USB sync" and also "Windows Mobile Based Device".

7. Then the EULA Agreement of WMDC popped up . Jeez what a relief! It finally worked

I think the 64 bit version did the trick for me, maybe this 64 bit version of WMDC is more stable and less buggy than the 32 bit one. I don't know but it did the trick for me.

Now I use my old Motorola V3 as phone, and I won't use my HTC P3300 until HTC releases Windows Mobile 6 . I'm too scared to **** things up again haha, hopefully Windows Mobile 6 will make an end to all of these syncing problems!

Thnx for reading, hopefully I can help someone with this!

Greeetz
20th May 2007, 07:53 AM |#25  
Flag Maastricht

More
Problem returned, after syncing 2 or 3 times . So I started to encode a AVI to MP4 video, then launched Task Manager. And I plugged in my device, and now I could stop the WM proccess! So you were right, thx a lot mate! It's syncing again!
20th May 2007, 11:30 AM |#26  
OP Senior Member
Flag Worcester

More
Glad to help dude.
7th June 2007, 03:58 PM |#27  

More
Solved the issue by renaming wmplayer.exe
I was driving nuts for a week with this sync problems.
As described by many, WMDC start connecting then dropped everything.
Device manager shows a correct Microsoft Windows Mobile Remote Adapter but Mobile Device/pocketPC was just appearing then vanished.
I choose a more brutal solution to get over this :
  • cd "\program files\windows media player"
  • takeown /f wmplayer.exe
  • cacls wmplayer.exe /E /G administrators:F
  • attrib -r -s -h wmplayer.exe
  • ren wmplayer.exe wmplayer2.exe
After that, WMDC behaves correctly.

Best regards.
7th June 2007, 10:27 PM |#28  
OP Senior Member
Flag Worcester

More
good skills that man!

I've chopped in the 6month old Orbit on ebay for £270!
Ended up making £50 and got myself a Trinity - now happily running super fast mUn WM6 and not missing the artemis at all. Only thing slightly worse is GPS fix times - but I can drive round aimlessly for 3 minutes, not a problem.

Glad someone with a bit more knowledge has worked out a solution - does this mean that WMDC 6.1 did not address this issue? I badgered MS loads about this on their official forums.
8th June 2007, 10:33 AM |#29  

More
WMDC 6.1 does not correct the issue
As stated in the title, WMDC 6.1 release does not correct at all the issue.
Best regards.
8th June 2007, 05:51 PM |#30  
OP Senior Member
Flag Worcester

More
as stated where? snotty git!

specifically yesterdays update does not fix?
Wouldnt surprise me if it didnt.
14th June 2007, 07:28 PM |#31  
Flag Schijndel

More
Follow these instructions and your vista problem is over.
I used this guide and it works for my artemis p3300 phone!

Please try downloading the latest WMDC first before attempting anything in this section of the guides. you will find the latest version HERE .

To follow this guide please make sure you have a copy of WinRAR installed, I will refer to the Windows Mobile Device Centre as the WMDC for ease of reading. If you do not have the WMDC installed please go here to install it first.

One problem with windows VISTA is that it uses the new "Windows Mobile Device Centre" and not activesync which we are used to, thus our standard RUU programs will not upgrade our Hermes devices as in windows XP. This guide will show you how to configure VISTA to work just the same as XP with our RUU programs.

For this guide firstly you need to download the new drivers:

Drivers for Windows Vista x32

Drivers for Windows Vista x64

Please note the x64 drivers are unsigned so to use them successfully you must disable driver signing.
Extract the contents to a folder on your desktop, call this folder "AS_DRIVERS". It contains the drivers from activesync which we will use instead of the native VISTA WMDC drivers when the device is in bootloader.

Now you must enter the bootloader on your device, to do this press and hold both the side ok button and the power button then put your stylus into the hole on the bottom of the device, your device will reset and show the red blue green bootloader screen. LEAVE THE DEVICE IN BOOTLOADER MODE and connect it using the USB cable to your VISTA PC.

Now navigate into the WMDC (Start>All Programs>Windows Mobile Device Center) and click on the "connection settings" menu icon

In the connection settings menu untick "allow USB connections" then press OK.

Now exit the WMDC and return to the desktop, go into the start menu and type "Services", this will take you into the local services dialogue and show a list of all services either running or registered with your pc.

Scroll down the list and make sure these services are present:

Windows Mobile-based connectivity

Windows Mobile 2003-based connectivity

If these services are not started then double click each one and set them to Automatic start by clicking the "startup-type" drop-down menu and selecting automatic then click the start button in the same window, apply the setting by pressing OK. Now return back to the desktop again.

Go into the start menu and type "Device Manager" then run, this will take you into the device manager. Click the "+" symbol next to "Mobile Devices" and double click on "HTC USB Sync".

This will bring up the properties of the currently connected device (the hermes in bootloader).

Go to the "Driver" tab and click "Update Driver".

Click "Browse My Computer for Driver Software".

Select "Let me pick from a list...."

Click the "Have Disk" button.

Click "Browse" and navigate to the AS_DRIVERS folder we created earlier.

Vista x32 users select the file "wceusbsh.inf"
Vista x64 users select the file "wceusbshx64.inf"

Then click Open.

click next and the driver will be installed (wait a moment).

Press close and escape back to the desktop now.

Now we must stop the WMDC process, start the task manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Escape.

click the WMDC line and click "End Process". In the confirmation window, again press End Process.

Now re-enter the WMDC and re-enable USB connections (click connection settings and tick the box "enable USB connections").

Your RUU programs for HardSPL/Radios/WM6 ROMs should now run as desired once you are synced with WMDC. Since we have updated the driver which vista uses when the device is in bootloader mode.

NOTE:: This technique is still in testing so if you have any issues please post in the official thread. Until we find another way to get RUU working with vista you may need to revert back to XP for upgrading your Artemis.
Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread