FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

WM6 comments/suggestion/speculation

91 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By dm251z, Member on 7th May 2007, 08:01 PM
Thread Deleted Email Thread
Hey,

I am personally just bursting with excitement over the possibility of getting WM6 on my tornado, even though (like most folks) I doubt that I have any ability to contribute technically to the effort. So, just to get my ideas out, without cluttering the "Official WM6 thread", I started this one. This is so people who really know what they are doing don't have to screw with the clutter, unless they want to.

So, my first hope for the new ROM--I doubt that there could have been much improvement to crappy Windows Media Player, so my suggestion is that that be removed, and replaced with TCPMP.

7th May 2007, 10:05 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Why not customize instalation
Sorry about my english, but why not a customize instalation ?

Like WINDOWS, you can choose in advance what aplication you want, or similar thing, like, they can generate a lot of roms with english an other language in order to save space. I will only install the rom with english and spanish.

Also, I prefer that Pocket Office will be included in the rom that you are cocking.

Thanks
7th May 2007, 10:43 PM |#3  
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Ok, plan at the moment... English ONLY ROM with various language packs (including t9) that will be available as CABs for separate installation to save precious storage. The 'vanilla' ROM (no t9, no task manager, no office, no camera) only has around 19mb of storage to play with :S

Office will be available as a CAB, again to save space. WMP has been improved with support for the creating and saving of playlists on the device. TCPMP MAY be embedded depending on how many people prefer it over WMP.

As for other stuff, I'm open to ideas, it's really up to YOU how you want this ROM to work and what's in it (within reason of course )

BTW good idea to start a new thread for requests in the ROM (useful for saving clutter ) I'll link to this in my original post in 'The Official WM6 Thread'

Phil
7th May 2007, 11:08 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 157

More
TCMP only is a BAD IDEA!
Error post... disregard. Next post covers everything I wanted to say.
7th May 2007, 11:10 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 157

More
TCMP only is a BAD IDEA!
I love TCMP, but it can't replace WMP.

Yeah, TCMP is a better player for just about everything, but there are certain things that I still need to use WMP for.
For example, streaming media is a nightmare for me in TCMP because of certain proxy servers I use. WMP shares IE's proxy settings, so if IE can see the internet, WMP can, whereas TCMP can't.
Also, I've run across some weird files (high bitrate aac's) that froze TCMP, but WMP skips over the corrupted portion and keeps playing.

Yes, TCMP is great, but not at the cost of WMP. Please, don't take it out.
Personally, just install TCMP on a storage card, and everyone should be fine!

While we're on it...
You say that you're going to make office a .cab optional installation.
Interesting... Hey, this is a long shot, but is there any way we could try that with a WM5 device? I'm really just looking for office mobile, so if there was a way to extract that and make it work on wm5, that would be AMAZING.
I know, there's probably some propietary WM6-only stuff that would prevent it from working, but thought I would ask.
7th May 2007, 11:21 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Ι think that there is no one here prefers WMP over TCPMP (or Core Player) but there is no reason include it in the rom. As you said the storage memory in Tornado is valuable and I like like your idea to give us language packs in seperate cab files. I only need English and Greek pack.
Also Office and Adobe LE have already ported from rom and work fine in storage card, so no need to be in rom.
keep on good work, can't wait!!
8th May 2007, 03:16 AM |#7  

More
i believe that the applications that are to be put in the rom are the standard ones... cause like everyone has said memory is so valuable... and besides you can install tcmp to it anytime you want but you cant install wmp if you take it out... to say replace wmp with tcmp in my opinon is selfish...

oh and i would like to recommend to map the media buttons (Short_AP1-4.lnk's i think) like those on the imate sp5m,qtek8300 and t-mobile sda as default... most roms even the custom iphone dropped this... cause its a nice feature of the tornadoes... and if those arent the "would be" users preference its easy to remap it with something else but remapping it to a rom that dosent support it (like the c500 rom) is really hard... just my 2 cents...
8th May 2007, 03:26 AM |#8  
OP Member

More
I suppose there is a use for WMP...I do use it to play drm-protected (license only) wma files. but maybe coreplayer can get licenses? I suppose if we have to have wmp, tcpmp will stay on the storage card. no complaints.

I do hope that a2dp support exists in the new rom. That is something I can't live without.

With regards to the media player buttons...that would of course be different between 8310/sp5 and 8300/sp5m. It is easy enough to customise those in existing wm5 roms, but I wonder what version of tornado this rom is coming from?
8th May 2007, 05:16 AM |#9  
Flag Petrozavodsk
Thanks Meter: 1,966

More
Sorry for my poor english. Is it real to do that new rom will be unlocked passing over in silence? That will be handy to use. My opinion that there is no reason to include in rom those application that can be installable by the separete cab files. Every one can decide what to install by itself. I think there is no need to include in rom WML or pocket MSN, original file manager and task manager. Every one can decide what to use. Thanks.
8th May 2007, 05:20 AM |#10  

More
good point lovetz... making them installable cabs would save alot of memory... and yes the file explorer from the rom does suck ends! maybe our chefs could do that...

and yes i hope they put in a2dp support!!! good bye wires!!!
8th May 2007, 06:47 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I personally prefer a clean ROM with stable Radio version. Just put in all the default softwares that a typical WM6 device will have to make it 'real' and pure WM6. Then from there, users can choose what they want to install. Perhaps put some options so that softwares like File Explorer, WMP can be uninstalled from the Remove Programs part
Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread