Taking You to the Limit
Release 3 is now available! See http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=324632 for downloads and discussions on this latest version of XM6!
On 7/7/07 Release 2a replaced Release 2. See known issues for the slow program folder fix, or upgrade to Release 2a
XDA Mobile 6 Release 2a (XM6r2a for short) is the second version of the popular XM6 rom for the Wizard. This is mainly a release to fix some bugs, and update apps that were in the first version of XM6.
I'm also releasing a "Lite" (not Vanilla, or Clean, but "Less Filling") version of XM6. The Lite is the exact same build with Apps removed (but some "essential tools" are left in, thus its not Vanilla or Clean, but Lite).
XM6 is built on the OS 5.2.318 Build 15342.4.0.01 rom that was provided to us by InGeNeTiCs from Howard Forums. One major difference between the original Release and Release 2 is that in this version the ROM, SYS, and OEM folders originated from the Ingenetics Kitchen work by mattk_r (where the original release of XM6 was a mismash of Faria ROM kitchen OEM packages, and ones I built). Organization of this rom is much better (if you want to dump it)
Please remember that this ROM is a product of what _I_ wanted with many inputs from users of the Original XM6 and the Crossbow Reloaded series, so no complaints about why does this rom have this in it, or why didn't you put this in there. If you don't like how this rom is spiced, then go grab a ROM, put it in one of the many Kitchens now out, and make your own version. I am open to ideas on how to improve the rom so constructive criticism is appreciated (to a point ).
Please Note: this ROM was NOT intended to push the limits on speed optimization or memory optimization. It was made to be functional, stable, and something that I myself wanted and will use. I've found it to perform at a better than acceptable level for myself, and so far Battery life seems very good for me and those beta testing this. If you have Battery Drain issues, make sure you flashed back to an official rom before you upgraded to this one, as that should correct extended rom corruption that has been shown to cause battery draining. BatteryStatus is NOT included in this ROM due to how fast changes come out with this application, and not everyone likes it or uses it. If you want to overclock or use other features of BatteryStatus, you are welcome to download and install the latest version of BatteryStatus yourself.
Base ROM Information
The base rom was an "Official" Wizard WM6 ROM that was part of the development cycle of WM6 inside of Microsoft (Dogfood as they call it). The base rom was not a port of another device rom with drivers and stuff pieced and parted onto this one, but this was an actual Wizard WM6.
- Windows Mobile 6, OS 5.2.318 Build 15342.4.0.01
- ROM Version: 10.1.0.811 WWE
- ROM Date: 08/11/06
- Protocol: 4.1.13.09
What's In XDA Mobile 6 Release 2a?
Both versions have the following
- Office 2007
- New 8 Button "Touch" Style CommManager (yeah only 8 buttons. If you want more then install one of the many 10 or more button ones )
- VoIP (See next post for instructions to set this up)
- HTC X-Button v1.0
- Notepad editor
- Pocket RAR (ROM already has associations with .rar and .zip setup)
- SIP Config 2.0.1
- Total Commander Beta 2.5
- PIM Backup to 2.4 (updated in 2a)
- Windows Live Search searches via Google
- WM5torage 1.75
- SIM Manager 6.13
- psShutXP was Removed in 2a due to it not working properly and causing problems with Programs folder
- dotFred TaskManager (with registry editor link setup and associations built in for .reg files)
- Regional Settings default to English (United States) and use a slash for the date seperator (M/dd/yyyy)
- Menu sounds work by default
- Pressing the "End Call" button does not disconnect GPRS but minimized the active application. Pressing and holding the "End Call" button for about 5 seconds will do a GPRS Disconnect
- Internet access over ActiveSync (USB) connection works (You must apply a registry fix on your PC first. See the next post for the fix)
The Full Release also contains the following
- mUn designed onscreen Keyboard skin (grey/green one)
- Mobile Justice (a security app that will send an SMS if an unauthorized SIM is placed in your phone)
- Pocket Screen Capture
- HTC Audio Manager
- CicleBT (Toggle BlueTooth on and off)
- 1-Calc Lite
- WiFiFoFum 2.2.12
- MoDaCo NoData (so you can turn off data sources)
- Smartskey 0.56 (DPAD is set to 0 in the .ini so the up and down scrolling works in the Phone dialer as expected in WM6)
- DotFred's SoftKeyAppletEx
You MUST have an IPL and SPL at 2.xx or higher (BOTH not just one or the other).
You MUST be running ActiveSync 4.5 on Windows XP (Vista comes with the correct sync utility, although there have been issues reported about Vista and sync'ing with PPC's so be aware of that).
Before you attempt to upgrade to this ROM, Please follow this thread to learn how to flash roms, CID unlock your phone, and how to fix issues you may run into! It is also recommended that you flash your phone with a Windows XP computer and not Vista. It will work with Vista, but if you run into problems Vista can't talk to a phone in Bootloader mode!
- I HIGHLY Recommend that you flash back to an official rom before upgrading to this (or any) custom rom so you have a clean base (and correct any Extended ROM corruption you might have). G4 users would flash back to their provider's latest official release. G3 users can use T-Mobile 2.26 for a good base.
- If you use BatteryStatus (its NOT included in the rom!) to overclock, I don't recommend overclocking above 260Mhz, and the CPUscaler settings in BatteryStatus should not be set to a min lower than 143MHz (or your device may not wake back up after going to sleep).
- Radio Issues UPDATE: There appears to be a possible fix for the Radio issue on Cingular. Attached is a cab you can run to implement the change. I've successfully run Cingular 2.25 radio on my phone for many days now with no missed calls or SMS messages. Others have had success with 2.61 and 2.69 radios after doing this fix. You can follow this thread (starting around post 9) on this. A newer cab is now posted and info on it can be found around post 214.
I've moved the credits to the 6th post of this thread as this post has become too big.
- The base rom has a bug / feature where if GPRS is active, unanswered calls may not show up as a missed call and may not give notification of the unanswered call. If this happens, the unanswered call shows up in the history as an answered call with a duration of 1 or 2 seconds.
- In XM6r2 some people were having problems when they go to Start > Programs and the folder was taking a long time to paint or the phone would hang. To resolve this, remove the Shutdown.lnk and Display Switch.lnk located in \Windows\Start Menu\Programs or upgrade to XM6r2a
- Every WM6 rom I've tried has an issue where if you use the "Press and Hold" of the CommManager button to switch to and from Vibrate mode, that the ringtone may not play when not in vibrate mode. To work around this go to Settings > Phone and play your ringtone and your ringing will work again.
Official Download Sites for XDA Mobile 6 Release 2a
XM6r2a Full Version
HTTP Download by n3rxs
FTP Download by TheWizzard2203
XM6r2a Lite Version
HTTP Download by n3rxs
FTP Download by TheWizzard2203