FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Rogers Customers - Beware ! You Might Also Be Getting Ripped Off !

515 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By lukybandit, Retired Moderator on 13th July 2007, 07:12 PM
Thread Deleted Email Thread
OMGGGGGGGGGGGGG ! ****, I HATE ROGERS !!!!

352 $ DATA CHARGES ON MY ACCOUNT...!

i swear i'm so ****in pissed at this point...i have the new HTC s621 and all these days the internet i've been using is ROGERS DATA, and i thought it was wi-fi - i always connected to wi-fi....guys, if it does say it's connecting to wi-fi and if it can't connect - it connects to the rogers data network without you knowing :S - that's ****ing ********. CALL ROGERS NOW AND TELL THEM YOU DIDN'T KNOW, YOU WERE UNAWARE, AND YOUR VERY DISAPPOINTED AND FRUSTRATED.A

i swear, you have no idea how pissed off i am...this is a ripoff - all these days i was connecting to free wi-fi points but guess what? that's not "FREE" it's rogers internet all this time :S - atleast some kinda notification or warning would be good. i swear, such a bunch of liars...i spoke to this girl in the data dept. and she said i can't do anything as of now because your bill's not registered yet. she blocked the internet access, though so that in future i don't get charged but they should have warned me before, i had no clue - i was going through the posts when i saw someone post a link about how somone got 1600 $ charges. anyway, i'm gonna call back the moment my bill comes...

rogers is LYING TO THEIR CUSTOMERS, OVERCHARGING CUSTOMERS, MAKING FALSE PROMISES AS WELL AS NOT PROVIDING ANY VITAL INFORMATION...i'm sick and tired of this ********. everything with them is getting messed....guys, please be AWARE if any of you have SMART PHONES OR BLACK BERRY'S - be careful, especially if you have wi-fi, you might want to get rogers data serviced blocked.

p.s: WHY SHOULD ANYONE PAY FOR SOMETHING THEY AREN'T EVEN AWARE OF? honestly speaking, rogers defaulted the GPRS?EDGE option on the s621 so it connects to rogers internet without your permission - that's just WRONG on every level - that's like tresspassing onto someone's property and getting charged for it while you thought your on a public property....seriously, think about it guys - i'm waiting for my bill to come so i can get them to credit me that charge, i ain't paying a penny - otherwise i'll cancel everything with them.
13th July 2007, 10:33 PM |#2  
Flag toronto
Thanks Meter: 28

More
i hope you can get the charges removed if you didnt know you were being charged. the real problem is that you do not know how to use your phone. i have had several versions of the phone you are using, as well as several others that have similar capabilities and i have yet to have this kind of a problem. read your manual and learn what the indicators mean that run accross the top of your screen. it will show you when you are attached to a wifi network and when you are connecting to a wifi network. if you are surfing the net without a wifi network these icons will not be present. there is also a speed difference in downloading info. learn to protect yourself, bro.

i am not pro rogers, either. i spent 55min on the phone with them last night trying to adjust my plan and it should only have been a 15 min conversation. i am aware of how difficult they can be to deal with but the problem you are having is not really their fault
14th July 2007, 06:02 AM |#3  

More
You should familiarize yourself with the device, and how to tell when it's connected to WiFi. For one thing, if it's not WiFi, it's a heck of a lot slower than when it is. For another, your homescreen shows when you're connected to an access point, as does the iconbar up top.
14th July 2007, 11:08 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
its annoying there is no way to disable gprs and keep the settings stored. most of the time I delete the gprs settings then if i ever want to use it i just add the account in. I'm on vodafone so its simply internet for the ap and web/web user pass. Pretty easy to type in when ever you need to. Basically if you see the 2 arrows where the signal icon usually is, you will be being billed.
14th July 2007, 12:48 PM |#5  
Flag Woodstock

Donate to Me
More
I have to agree... I mean you should easily notice the difference between wifi and grps...
17th July 2007, 01:23 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
i have to admit - i just bought this phone on the weekend and i got a basic data plan ($15CDN) through Rogers for the times I will not have wi-fi access. So I am sitting at work conncted to WiFi (there are 4 valid hotspots in my office :P) - I am conncted to one (I know because it says so) HOWEVER, the E is still displayed over the signal strength indicator telling me that EDGE is in use even though I am connected to a Wi-Fi...I am so confused. So I went to the Rogers site to try and check my usage but no joy there as there was no information ... even my phone upgrade charge has not yet appeared...can someone a little more knowledgeable on this unit please confirm whats happening either way? I mean - even if you are connected to WiFi will E appear since technically it is available - however not being used since it should be over-ridden by the availability of WiFi?
18th July 2007, 08:46 AM |#7  

More
You should call Rogers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroh

i have to admit - i just bought this phone on the weekend and i got a basic data plan ($15CDN) through Rogers for the times I will not have wi-fi access. So I am sitting at work conncted to WiFi (there are 4 valid hotspots in my office :P) - I am conncted to one (I know because it says so) HOWEVER, the E is still displayed over the signal strength indicator telling me that EDGE is in use even though I am connected to a Wi-Fi...I am so confused. So I went to the Rogers site to try and check my usage but no joy there as there was no information ... even my phone upgrade charge has not yet appeared...can someone a little more knowledgeable on this unit please confirm whats happening either way? I mean - even if you are connected to WiFi will E appear since technically it is available - however not being used since it should be over-ridden by the availability of WiFi?

18th July 2007, 12:27 PM |#8  
Flag Woodstock

Donate to Me
More
Ok if you see the little E logo over the signal that doesn't always mean your using GPRS because if I send a picture message it will stay on all day and night but it doesn't use it.

Easy way to find out is to just go into your comm manager and look for the data transfer... if its "lit up" then it's on, all you have to do is click it to turn it off manually.
18th July 2007, 12:56 PM |#9  
Flag Quebec

More
Rogers is not to blame, but rather HTC. I have the same issue with my Titan/Mogul on Telus. Even if you shut down your EVDO/EDGE connection through Comm Manager, it will reconnect. There should be an option to set priority to WiFi when a hotspot connection is established, but there isn't and that's an awful feature.

I'm around a WiFi connection most of the time so the solution to this is to delete the wireless profile. Fortunately Telus doesn't require user names and passwords to connect so it's just a matter of having it dial #777 to establish a connection when needed.
18th July 2007, 03:44 PM |#10  
Flag Kiwi in Ontario
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Its a shame dude. I have a 200 meg plan so I am covered for data.

BUT I still use a GPRS data tracker to keep an eye on hwo much data I use. A well spent $US7.95 - dont try using a pirated version of these, as the DASH/S620/S621 uses a different .DLL than that is supplied in the pirate version. Just pay the $$ to save some $$
18th July 2007, 04:31 PM |#11  
Flag Canada, eh?
Thanks Meter: 120

Donate to Me
More
I use this for added assurance:

http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/prod...prsmonitor/?en

Spb GPRS Monitor

Spb GPRS Monitor is a complete solution for measuring the amounts of data transfers via your GPRS, CDMA or GSM network connection and calculating network usage costs. Spb GPRS Monitor monitors all data transfers you perform and calculates the cost of your GPRS usage taking into account your service plan details: inclusive data amount, data block size. etc.

# Taskbar icon that shows GPRS connection speed and other indicators
# Pop-up window that shows all GPRS information
# Warning notifications on daily/monthly traffic limits
# Detailed connection usage and cost charts
# Detailed text reports of your connection usage and cost
# Export to CSV for use with Microsoft® Excel and Access
# 440+ pre-defined service plans
# Today plug-in that shows GPRS speed and other statistics
# Skin format interface
Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread