FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

2.5mm to 3.5mm stereo conundrum

14 posts
Thanks Meter: 5

By picassolsus, Junior Member on 20th July 2007, 02:05 AM
Thread Deleted Email Thread
Ok....I've fought with finding an adapter to go from 2.5mm to 3.5mm for ages now. Everything I've read indicates it needs to be 4 pole etc etc....I'm aware of that. However, every one I've tried is still producing mono output. For kicks, I've tried the following ALL with mono results:

-Blackberry Pearl stereo headset
-RadioShack catalog #274-004 3/32" to 1/8" Stereo Headset adapter (why wouldn't this work?)
-Just Wireless 08351 Stereo Adapter 2.5mm to 3.5mm from (Target/BestBuy)
-BodyGlove Stereo Sport Headset 7489401 (BestBuy)

Now, when I say these produce mono output, what I'm really saying is that there is only one channel of audio whatsoever...the other earpiece is totally silent.

Anyone had any luck finding something at a retailer without ordering online? I'll order if I have too though. Thanks.

Derek

20th July 2007, 02:29 AM |#2  
Flag Hudson, NC
Thanks Meter: 176

Donate to Me
More
here ya go:
http://cgi.ebay.com/FOR-Cell-Phone-P...QQcmdZViewItem

remeber google is your friend!

(btw, this is a 4 pole connector, the reason why all they othere ones youve tried doesnt work is cause they were three poled and the contacts dont match up)
20th July 2007, 02:51 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5

More
The specs on this RadioShack adapter is specifically 4 pole....I checked that first. In fact, the packaging description reads:

"Turns a 3/32" 4-pole wireless phone headset jack into a 1/8" stereo headphone jack"

Check this link and you'll see what I'm talking about: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2603246&cp

I knew it needed to be 4 pole, and that's what I'm saying...every supposed 4 pole adapter I've tried hasn't worked.

Any other ideas?

NOTE: Also note I said I tried the Blackberry Pearl headset, which is also a 4 pole headset jack on taht phone so theoretically that headset should have worked perfectly.
20th July 2007, 08:29 AM |#4  
Flag Hudson, NC
Thanks Meter: 176

Donate to Me
More
i used to work at radioshack and i can tell you they dont carry any adapters that work with smartphones, i cant tell how many customers came in looking for the same thing.. the adapter on ebay works its just like the one i have
23rd July 2007, 08:47 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
The problem is simple. Look at the base of the 2.5mm jack on the headphones that came with your phone, then look at the base of the 2.5mm jack on the adapter. You will notice that the base of the adapter is way bigger than those on the headphones and this prevents you from pushing the adaptor as far in the hole as it needs to be.

Stupid idiots at The Source were trying to tell me that it wouldn't work because of voltage...

Anyways, when buying an adapter, just make sure that the base of the 2.5mm is small enough so that it'll fit into the recessed 2.5mm in your phone. It is okay if it's just the three pin plug, it will still be in stereo.
Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread