FORUMS

Help! First Roaming, Now No Signal

42 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By Neil Jones, Member on 19th August 2007, 12:01 PM
Thread Deleted Email Thread
Yesterday, for some reason my MDAC III decided it was roaming. It was still on T-Mobile, but the roaming triangle indicator appeared in the top bar. If I let it auto-select the network, it always said T-Mobile, but if I tried to manually select T-Mobile, it couldn't connect. I called T-Mob, and they said it showed I was just connected to their system as normal. The phone still worked fine, except push e-mail wouldn't work, I had to force ActiveSync to sync manually. Anyway, a couple of soft-resets later, and everything went back to normal.

Checked my mobile first thing today, and the dreaded roadming triangle was back. Did a couple of soft resets, left phone off for 30 mins, but now it won't connect at all, I just get the exclamation mark next to the signal strength indicator. When I reboot, an error message appears but it clears so quickly I can't read it. I think it's about something not being able to start.

Help! Any ideas anyone???
19th August 2007, 07:09 PM |#2  
Blackpool Lancs

More
I to have the roaming icon (I even admitt to looking up what the icon actually was in the manual when it first appeared on Friday).
I have not experianced any problems with connections though - Mike
19th August 2007, 07:12 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
I also have the icon. It appeared Friday. I am on t-mobile UK
19th August 2007, 09:54 PM |#4  
OP Member

More
Ah good, so it looks like it was a T-Mob network problem (even though customer service didn't seem to know anything about it)? Mine seems to be back OK now (roaming icon has disappeared and Exchange sync working again). One other thing I did notice this afternoon was that the time had "lost" over an hour somehow...
20th August 2007, 04:47 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
Spoke too soon, the triangle has returned.

After a bit of Googling, it looks like quite a few people have been having this problem over the last week or so. The fix seems to consist of getting a new SIM. The options are either return to T-Mob for a replacement SIM = no phone for 2-3 days, or buy a new SIM in T-Mob shop for £10 and get £10 account credit. Off the the T-M shop later to see if they've heard of this.
20th August 2007, 08:48 PM |#6  
OP Member

More
Went into T-Mob shop this afternoon. They hadn't heard of the issue, but when I talked them into trying one of their own SIMs in one of their own MDA phones (a Touch), they too got the roaming triangle, even though mine was actually behaving at the time.

They put my on the phone to T-Mob customer service, who as expected hadn't heard of this, but they transferred me to a guy in Tech Support who actually listened to what I was saying, and believed me rather than just patronise me as a dumb customer who didn't know what he was doing. I guess it helped that I put the guy in the shop on the line to also confirm what I was saying.

He's taking it up with one of the Product Managers within T-Mob, and is going to call me back...
20th August 2007, 10:32 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I had the problem on both of my t-mobile phones. Swapped the sims at the local shop and all is fine again.
21st August 2007, 03:03 AM |#8  

More
I had the problem too but the icon disappeared after I upgraded to a WM6 rom (BB4).

I hope I don't get billed for Roaming whilst in the UK
21st August 2007, 09:09 AM |#9  
OP Member

More
I've also re-flashed the ROM (3 times in fact) but even if it's OK straight away, the triangle always returns at some point. I can't understand how the new SIM thing can work, especially as when I was in the T-Mob shop yesterday they tried a new SIM on one of their HTC Touches and got a triangle straight away. I just wonder if it's not the new SIM that's making the difference, it's just turning to phone off to change it, and the triangle will eventually return.

Keep us updated on whether the problem comes back with your new SIM!
21st August 2007, 12:08 PM |#10  

More
Oh, I had this triangle on Friday or Saturday, had no idea what it represented. So I soft re-setted and it went, and hasn't returned. At least I'll recognise it now.
21st August 2007, 12:37 PM |#11  
Flag No Fixed Abode:- Narrowboat.

More
I think i had a STK update the other day. since then the roaming triangle has appeared. if i do a soft reset it goes, but re-appears again after about an hour or so.
Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread