FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

nombCrypt - beta

82 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By nomb, Member on 29th August 2007, 03:28 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello Everyone,

I just got my 8525 in the mail yesterday and upgraded the boot loader, radio, and WM6. I had a little trouble but in the end, all that I can't get working right is the internet for Cingular. I really appreciate all the hard work everyone puts into this. Here is my thank you, this is my first app so go easy on me.

nomb

nombCrypt

nombCrypt is an encryption program I originally made for the desktop but then decide to port it over. It uses a password you provide and encrypts either a block of text or files using 256bit Rijndael (AES). This level of encryption was given the ok to encrypt Top Secret documents. It can of course decrypt as well. This is for Windows Mobile 6. Please enjoy and every developer of course likes to get back feedback.

Planned/Requested Improvements
  1. Truecrypt like encrypted containers
  2. Implement Encrypted Backups (P)
  3. Get File Encrypt Status Bar Working (P/R) <-- I'm dreading writing the working class :'(
  4. Use Device ID As Salt Option (P)
  5. Randomize Salt More (P)
  6. Add More Encryption Algorithms (P)
  7. Change File Open Dialog To Open Less (R) completed - now initially looks for *.nen (nombCrypt Enc. Files)
  8. Encryption Password Confirmation (R) completed
  9. Clipboard Paste Button (R) completed
  10. Clipboard Clear Button (R) completed
  11. Take Off Start Menu Icon (R) completed
  12. Change Icon (R) completed
  13. Add Exit To The Menu (R) completed
  14. Add Time Out Feature (R) completed - (see page two for details)
  15. Integrate nombCrypt Into WM6 More (P)
    I. Encrypt MS Certificate Store (R)

Other Fixes
  1. Improved Text Encryption So The End TextBox Is Opened Less
  2. Added file error checking to the file decryption process

Two screenshots and the cab file are attached.

I hope you guys enjoy...
nomb

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nombCrypt-text_encrypt.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	48564   Click image for larger version

Name:	nombCrypt-Encrypt_File.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	48565  
Attached Files
File Type: cab nombCrypt.CAB - [Click for QR Code] (263.9 KB, 563 views)
File Type: cab nombCrypt-beta.CAB - [Click for QR Code] (254.4 KB, 181 views)

29th August 2007, 03:55 PM |#2  
Retired Moderator
Flag Devon, UK
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Hey! I wanted to do the same thing too! Just that I use my own XOR method (One Time Pad-like) instead. Of all the thing, it works alright, except that I can't get it to do a Copy-Paste. (see here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=321014)

Also, from what it seems, I would presume that (since you uses AES), the end result would be in 'relatively' binary format (right?), which may not be very program friendly.

I was going to do about the same thing, except that I'll have my end result Base64 encoded, such that I can have them pasted to Notes and have it sycned to outlook. And I have my PC based software to do the job there (if required).

Previously, I used a software called Ccrryyppttoo, which did quite alright, but it seems that my PC is doing some coding, when synced, that makes it goes funny (i.e. cannot be decrypted anymore).

I'll PM you a demo of what I did (in Java web), of which I intended to do it in PPC
29th August 2007, 03:59 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
With Rijnael the resulting encrypted string/file gets encoded into base64 as well because if it didn't, all the characters wouldn't be represented. You can paste this into notes just fine.

Mine is programmed in c# so there is a clipboard function which works relatively well. If you'd like to help with this your more than welcome to. Or if you want to join your project with mine that would be cool too. I plan to support all major and a lot of minor encryption algorithms that I can find. Plus people were complaining about how the encrypted backup on the ppc should use the device id to encrypt instead of the randomly generated key so I plan to implement that as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing your demo.

nomb
29th August 2007, 04:08 PM |#4  
Retired Moderator
Flag Devon, UK

More
Hmm.. so it is b64 encoded.. niicceee. Hmmm. . I should try out C# soon.

Anyway, there is a suggestion, I'm not sure if you have the library for it. After my symmetric cipher program, I'm in thinking about a asymmetric-public-private key cipher, which people can exchange short messages in secret (e.g. via email, IM, SMS) without the need to exchange the key/password. It is relatively done now, I'll show you the web base version once it is done. It runs on the Java security class, which I'm not sure if C# has those library or not.

The idea is, Alice go to my page, generate a pair of keys. Alice then send Bob her pub key. Bob use pub key, go to my page, encrypt the message. Send it to Alice. Alice decrypt message at my page. No software to install, no secret key exchanged.
29th August 2007, 04:18 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
Yup c# has the ability to do that built into its cryptography namespace.

That is a cool idea, but instead of having Alice send the key to him. You should just make a db to keep track of the keys and then have him answer a question about Alice or something like that to use the pub key. that way thats even one less step they have to worry about. Or have Alice put in his email address and have your site auto email him the pub key. That would be good too.

But sweet idea, maybe I'll make my program talk to your site.

Have you tried mine yet?

nomb
29th August 2007, 04:37 PM |#6  
Retired Moderator
Flag Devon, UK

More
I dont like the "answer a question" method, as in that case, you might as well use the answer as the password?

Anyway, the emailing the pub key is an idea

I'm not in my own PC yet, can't send it to my phone from this PC. Will try it out later tonight.
29th August 2007, 04:40 PM |#7  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmin

I dont like the "answer a question" method, as in that case, you might as well use the answer as the password?

Ya I'm at work and was hungry so I wasn't thinking strait. I don't like that idea either. ^^

I think my next step in mine is to build the background worker class to update the progress bar when you encrypt/decrypt a file.

If you just point your phone to the cab above it will install it for you. You don't need a comp unless u don't have a dataplan.

nomb
29th August 2007, 09:00 PM |#8  
Retired Moderator
Flag Devon, UK

More
I dont have data in my plan.. although O2 gives me 1MB+ a month free.. I'm not using it.

Anyway, I've tested your software, a few comments.

Slightly major problems:
[1] It is not wise to do a 'All folders' and 'All Files' upon browsing (for file to be de/encrypt). People (e.g. me) has gazillion files around and it may take ages to load the list.
[2] You may want to pop up a Window, asking the user to confirm his/her password upon encryption (one of the thing I intended to add on mine )
[3] I'm not able to paste any data onto the 'start text' area. E.g., I have encrypted my stuff, saved it into Notes. Later, I wanted to get it back, I copy the encrypted code from my Notes, and no way of pasting it into the 'Start text'
[4] You already knew this, but, good to have some kind of progress bar to indicate the progress
[5] Hmmm.. on the browsing, there doesn't seems to have a way to find files on my Storage Card's root directory
[6] For security reason, probably it is good for you to add a 'Clear Clipboard' button?

Minor:
[1] I find it annoying that once I had the software installed, it is on my Start menu
[2] You could use a better icon, I just see a black square on my not so bright screen. I can help you on this.
[3] Add an "Exit" on the menus below?

Other possible suggestions:
[1] Have a time out on your software, such that, e.g. if there is no activity on software after a certain amount of time, it will do one/some/all of these (a) close itself (b) clear the password, input, output (c) clear the clipboard
29th August 2007, 10:00 PM |#9  
OP Member

More
Good suggestions, I'll have those done by tomorrow. I can't play with the storage card aspect yet because I don't have one. :'( Soon though I'm hoping to get a 4gb. And ya, i can't make icons worth any.

Oh, to past it back I always did ctrl+v from the keyboard. But I'll throw a button up there to do that. And I'll make sure to take it off of the start menu.

1 good comment would have been nice. Altho criticism is good.

nomb
29th August 2007, 10:20 PM |#10  
Retired Moderator
Flag Devon, UK

More
Haha.. sorry for the lack of good comments, I was trying to think of something to suggest. But come to think of it my post on top are good comments (e.g. niiiiccceee Base 64 encoded), and the fact that it has the simple string->string encryption.

I did googling a bit, and found these
http://www.entity.cc/ICONS/security-icons.php
http://www.hscripts.com/freeimages/i.../lock-icon.php
http://icons.qarchive.org/

which you may want to use as your icons?
30th August 2007, 04:47 AM |#11  
OP Member

More
Ya I was just teasing you. The icon I have now I got off of your last link at somepoint I just don't remember when. But I think I will probably use one of the others. But ya, I'll work on those fixes and then attach the updated program. Then once I get those fixes done, I'll work on adding the differnt encryption algorithms and the encrypted backups.

nomb
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)