FORUMS

Large & CIF Camera Video resolutions hack

129 posts
Thanks Meter: 59

By ddv2005, Senior Member on 7th September 2007, 06:09 AM
Thread Deleted Email Thread
HKLM\Software\HTC\Camera\P2\MainCamSupportCapSize = dword:0x0A (10)
change to dword:0x3A (58) and you will have Large & CIF resolutions.

Dmitry
7th September 2007, 07:33 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
can u explain better how to do it because when i go in i cant change the dword value and its # is 10 for me
7th September 2007, 01:43 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag New York

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwxd

can u explain better how to do it because when i go in i cant change the dword value and its # is 10 for me

Use any registry editor (like Resco Registry Editor or PHM Registry editor) and going to the HKLM\Software\HTC\Camera\P2\MainCamSupportCapSize . Default value is 10 decimal (0xA hex). Change value to 58 decimal (0x3A hex).
7th September 2007, 02:24 PM |#4  

More
I modified the registry for these values and it does seem to increase the quality but not the image size of the pictures or video.
7th September 2007, 02:36 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag New York

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by f00dl3

I modified the registry for these values and it does seem to increase the quality but not the image size of the pictures or video.

After registry patch the L & CIF resolutions will be available in video camera mode. Try to click on resolution icon on top bar or select it in options.
7th September 2007, 05:26 PM |#6  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 1

More
the new resolutions are

L = 320x240
CIF = 352x288

which are much better than

S = 128x96
M = 176x144

thanks for the info
7th September 2007, 06:03 PM |#7  

More
i made the edit and it enabled the two resolutions in the options, but when i actually tried to take a video with those settings (either large or CIF) it came out as the same low resolution it normally does, but the video quality is even worse (very choppy). is there a way to get around this?
7th September 2007, 07:09 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag New York

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstarz

i made the edit and it enabled the two resolutions in the options, but when i actually tried to take a video with those settings (either large or CIF) it came out as the same low resolution it normally does, but the video quality is even worse (very choppy). is there a way to get around this?

No problem. HKLM\Software\HTC\Camera\Recparam\MP4Large\Bitrate
default value 128000. I chaged it to 1024000 and now video quality is better.
7th September 2007, 08:09 PM |#9  

More
hey, thanks for the reply...did what you said, and picture quality is better, but video is still very choppy and still much below the framerate id get while recording in medium. id be happy if I can just get it up to 15 frames per sec at this quality.
lugom
8th September 2007, 10:11 PM |#10  

More
MJPEG @ 15FPS seems to be the sweet spot with Dmitri's tweak
Thanks for this tweak Dmitry! After spending few hours testing various settings, I found that using MJPEG @ 15 FPS got me the best results in both visual quality and framerate consistency (FPS for MJPEG can be set under Recparam\AVILarge although 15FPS is the default, if I recall right). Anything higher than 15-20 FPS with high motion videos will result in erratic captures.

Note also that you'll want a fat MicroSD card to store MJPEG videos as these can become large fairly quickly.
9th September 2007, 05:47 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
This is an amazing reg tweak, i knew it was a matter of time before this leaked out. This camera is more powerful than whats let on and i know it

Now if only we can get some frame rate tweaks in here that work
Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread