FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Standby of Death (SOD) with the Tytn II

161 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By nlel, Senior Member on 24th September 2007, 08:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have a HTC Tytn II and have had the Standby of Death. It happened 3 times in the first 6 days of ownership. To fight this I have been soft resetting daily and haven't had another SOD in 13 days.

I have a question for you knowledgeable folk at xda developers is the SOD a hardware fault or is it down to software particularly the ROM. I have seen many post regarding the Hermes where certain WM6 ROMs had the SOD.

Then there is the G900 with the SOD problem. Can anyone tell me for sure if the SOD is a hardware fault can cannot be fixed with software updates.

EDIT: Updating this post on 23/07/09 I got rid of the problem on the Tytn II and never had the problem again, didn't know what I did to solve it until I got a HTC Touch Diamond 2 with the same problem. To solve this problem switch band from auto 3G/2G to 3G or 2G only, this means changing the band under phone options in the settings to WCDMA + UTMS 2100 (3G) or GSM + AUTO (2G) only. Changing your SIM therefore network provider may also solve the problem without changing the settings above. Hope this helps someone.

EDIT2: Also read this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...standby&page=2 where the resolution was to get a new SIM.

24th September 2007, 08:31 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 207

More
Can you post your ROM version, etc. etc. ?

Btw, I have TyTn for about 3 weeks now and dont have that problem.

Installed bunch of softwares already, did couple of soft-resets due too application lock up, but not SOD.

However, I dont use push email, nor let 3G/Wi-Fi connection ON all the time.
24th September 2007, 08:34 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
EDIT: Updating this post on 23/07/09 I got rid of the problem on the Tytn II and never had the problem again, didn't know what I did to solve it until I got a HTC Touch Diamond 2 with the same problem. To solve this problem switch band from auto 3G/2G to 3G or 2G only, this means changing the band under phone options in the settings to WCDMA + UTMS 2100 (3G) or GSM + AUTO (2G) only. Changing your SIM therefore network provider may also solve the problem without changing the settings above. Hope this helps someone.

EDIT2: Also read this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...standby&page=2 where the resolution was to get a new SIM.
24th September 2007, 08:59 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 207

More
Pretty much the same.

Btw, have you tried to hard reset?

If not, try to give it a go. Hard reset is not something that you should afraid of.

I had one problem in the past (strange popup error everytime sending SMS) which I cant find any answer elsewhere. Even I hanged out in Microsoft.com, WinMo forum without any help.

I did hard reset, and the problem is gone!

I suggest to hard reset and use it for couple of days.
24th September 2007, 09:08 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More

24th September 2007, 09:22 PM |#6  
Forum Admin
Thanks Meter: 8,531

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlel

I`ve been doing soft resets now for 13 days I know that works... I last reset this morning. I am going to try and run now without a soft reset for the next couple of days to see if not running WIFI and not running with a data connection whilst in standby makes a difference. That is the only thing I think it can be.

I`ve actually been doing this anyway for the last 10 days or so since I discovered the disconnect option in the GPRS connection manager.

This was a common problem with the TyTn and there were a few workarounds that could be done to avoid it.

However one of the things I really like about my Kaiser is that I have not had a single freeze, SoD or any need for a hard reset in a month of using it - very stable indeed and I have loads of apps installed.

So, I kinda like the above advice to do a hard reset in case there is a bad install of something. It is most likely to be software related. ROMs can make a difference here but the shipped HTC ROM is fine in this regard.

Yes, your issue could be related to GPRS and Wifi left running. This could further be compunded by any software you have set to auto run like weather apps, messaging, push mail etc. So perhaps before a hard reset it is worth checking/stopping one thing at a time - GPRS/Wifi/ auto running apps in particular ASync. I have a feeling you may have a conflict in there somewhere.

Mike
24th September 2007, 09:28 PM |#7  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Talking
No SOD here either. I have found this ROM really stable - and am loving the extra memory
24th September 2007, 09:32 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More

24th September 2007, 09:39 PM |#9  
Forum Admin
Thanks Meter: 8,531

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlel

The thing is I haven't installed any apps since I got the device except Googlemail JAVA but I had my first SOD before that was installed.

I don't leave any apps in the running memory either. Its got to be to do with leaving the GPRS data connection running or the Wifi enabled when the phone is in standby - both of which I did in those first 6 days.

That sounds right but then so do I sometimes and I don't get the SoD. If you have a full back-up I'd be really tempted to try a H/Reset.

Mike
24th September 2007, 09:41 PM |#10  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I have found that on most of my HTC devices with a variety of ROMS that letting them go into standby with the wireless still enabled will cause response problems. Usually I find that they will wake back up but respond very slowly - particularly the hardware keys until I have turned the wireless off again. I assumed it was some kind of memory leak.
24th September 2007, 09:51 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechannon

That sounds right but then so do I sometimes and I don't get the SoD. If you have a full back-up I'd be really tempted to try a H/Reset.

Mike

I think it maybe a question of how often you let it go into standby with the data connection active...and whether anything happens whilst it is in this state, in those first 6 days I would kick off a data connection not realising there was a disconnect option... and have it run for however long untill it automatically disconnects.

I could put it into standby with the data connection active and most often it will come out of standby but maybe sometimes it doesn't. If you are not always doing this then perhaps you never encountered it...

I dunno if it doesn't work then I`ll try a hard reset once I have my data connection settings written down somewhere.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)