Using the default Vista font "Segoe UI"
1. Copy your font file (usually *.ttf) into /Windows/Fonts. Be sure to note the INTERNAL name of the font (find it out by double-clicking on the file in Windows)
in this case "Segoe UI"
2. Using your favorite registry editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GDI\SysFnt
3. Find the key named "Nm". Replace what's in it (usually Tahoma) with the name of the font, in this case "Segoe UI"
4. Repeat III for "HKLM\SYSTEM\GWE\Menu\Menufnt\Barfnt" and "Popfnt"
4.1 Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GDI\V1
- look for something like FontAliases. The keys inside represent the font "choices" -you have (which default to Tahoma), and look like Arial:-12. Change the value -from Tahoma* to Segoe UI*.
- Rinse and repeat.
And that's it ! The Segoe font renders much more easier to the eyes with Cleartype (and the spacing is really nice)
Do post newer font faces that look nice on QVGA screens
I've uploaded a screenshot of AudioManager in playlist mode. As you can see, the font spacing is MUCH better, and the font looks crispier......try it out!
(and yes, I do like Iron Maiden )
P.S: Feeling lazy to try out all these, or even intimidated by regedits? g77 kindly made these cabfiles to change fonts, so go crazy. Alternates are posted as well (Mind you, Segoe UI was only an example)
admin edit: removed all attachments due to complaints from Microsoft and adobe