FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

HOWTO: Change Default Font in WM6

397 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By Merlin_reloaded, Senior Member on 6th October 2007, 05:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I for one don't really like the default Tahoma font, so I thought I'd share how to change the default font.

Using the default Vista font "Segoe UI"

1. Copy your font file (usually *.ttf) into /Windows/Fonts. Be sure to note the INTERNAL name of the font (find it out by double-clicking on the file in Windows)
in this case "Segoe UI"

2. Using your favorite registry editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GDI\SysFnt

3. Find the key named "Nm". Replace what's in it (usually Tahoma) with the name of the font, in this case "Segoe UI"

4. Repeat III for "HKLM\SYSTEM\GWE\Menu\Menufnt\Barfnt" and "Popfnt"

4.1 Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GDI\V1
- look for something like FontAliases. The keys inside represent the font "choices" -you have (which default to Tahoma), and look like Arial:-12. Change the value -from Tahoma* to Segoe UI*.
- Rinse and repeat.

5. Reset

And that's it ! The Segoe font renders much more easier to the eyes with Cleartype (and the spacing is really nice)

Do post newer font faces that look nice on QVGA screens

I've uploaded a screenshot of AudioManager in playlist mode. As you can see, the font spacing is MUCH better, and the font looks crispier......try it out!

(and yes, I do like Iron Maiden )

P.S: Feeling lazy to try out all these, or even intimidated by regedits? g77 kindly made these cabfiles to change fonts, so go crazy. Alternates are posted as well (Mind you, Segoe UI was only an example)
Regards,
Merlin

admin edit: removed all attachments due to complaints from Microsoft and adobe

6th October 2007, 06:24 PM |#2  
Flag Budapest
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Sounds good, thanks. Could you provide some screenshots?
Edit: Thanks for the shot, looks like a worthy hack =)
6th October 2007, 07:41 PM |#3  

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin_reloaded

The Segoe font renders much more easier to the eyes with Cleartype (and the spacing is really nice)

Great find, I've done this on two of our WM6 phones and it does make a big difference. Much crisper and more modern looking.

Thanks,
Matt
6th October 2007, 08:39 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Newton

More
Updated Instructions
See first post.
7th October 2007, 12:31 AM |#5  

More
Nice tutorial... and I notice the difference in many apps... however my today screen and softkeys all look the same as before (compared side by side with a device without the font change). Is that normal with this hack? I verified all the reg entries in your first post.

Also, FYI Segoe UI definitely does not look right without cleartype enabled.
7th October 2007, 12:44 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Newton

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2chill

Nice tutorial... and I notice the difference in many apps... however my today screen and softkeys all look the same as before (compared side by side with a device without the font change). Is that normal with this hack? I verified all the reg entries in your first post.

Also, FYI Segoe UI definitely does not look right without cleartype enabled.

Yeah, I noticed it too, but I'm still looking for the regkeys. Dunno if this is a hard-locked property.

Segoe UI is designed for LCDs (which naturally need Cleartype enabled), so there would be no point in turning Cleartype off.

EDIT: It appears that the menu font IS Segoe UI, but the graphics subsystem warps it to fit a pixel grid.
7th October 2007, 03:02 PM |#7  
Flag George

More
Hi there,

I tried this today - but when I tried to edit the value of SYSFNT (NM) to Segoe UI (using Mobile Registry Editor) - got the error: Access denied...

Help please...

(I use a HTC Touch btw...)
7th October 2007, 03:07 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Newton

More
Hmmm..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciden

Hi there,

I tried this today - but when I tried to edit the value of SYSFNT (NM) to Segoe UI (using Mobile Registry Editor) - got the error: Access denied...

Help please...

(I use a HTC Touch btw...)

That's strange....Anyone else experiencing this?

Try using TaskManager (click on the little arrow on the top-right to get a pulldown menu, and select Regedit).
This isfrom my OEM package archive just copy it to anywhere in the Touch, and run.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TaskMgr.zip - [Click for QR Code] (209.4 KB, 1505 views)
7th October 2007, 04:23 PM |#9  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 80

More
Where do I find the Segoe UI font file ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin_reloaded

I for one don't really like the default Tahoma font, so I thought I'd share how to change the default font.

Using the default Vista font "Segoe UI"

1. Copy your font file (usually *.ttf) into /Windows/Fonts. Be sure to note the INTERNAL name of the font (find it out by double-clicking on the file in Windows)
in this case "Segoe UI"

Regards,
Merlin

7th October 2007, 04:59 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Newton

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsydian

Where do I find the Segoe UI font file ?

Google for seguibk.ttf. I can't post it here due to copyright issues. PM me if needed.
7th October 2007, 05:58 PM |#11  
Flag George

More
Thank you - I got it to work
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)