FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Updated: Reverting back to the AT&T or HTC ROM and SPL for Warranty or return

165 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By sirsycho, Senior Member on 9th October 2007, 07:00 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Updated - NOW IDIOT FRIENDLY

Here is the process to revert back to the AT&T or HTC ROM and bootloader after flashing a non-OEM ROM on your device.

Note: If you had to use jockyw2001's "White Screen" fix in order to install HardSPL you will need to use it to revert back... below where the steps reference SSPL-KAIS.exe replace them with jockyw2001's JumpSPL1.56-SSPL.exe. You can obtain the files from his thread.

ok... Assuming you're starting with a Kaiser/Tilt with HardSPL and the ROM that didn't come installed on it:

General Steps

1. Reflash the OEM ROM
2. Extract the OEM ROM with NBHextract.exe
3. create a new NBH using htcrt using only the 01_SPL.nb
4. Put your NBH file containing only the SPL into an empty directory on your PC
5. Copy KaiserCustomRUU.exe to that folder
6. Copy the SSPL-KAIS.exe to your phone (if you had to use the White Screen fix you'll need jwocky2001's JumpSPL1.56-KAIS.exe)
7. Run SSPL-KAIS.exe from your phone (or JumpSPL1.56-KAIS.exe, depending on your situation)
8. Flash your "custom" NBH containing only the SPL.nb by running KaiserCustomRUU.exe
9. After it's finished verify your SPL by holding down power and camera buttons while doing a soft reset.
10. Send your phone back to HTC or ATT

pretty sure I've covered it all... Let me know your results. I've done this successfully following the steps above.

Idiot's Guide to Restoring your phone to OEM Status

1. Get the original ROM for your device (HTC or ATT)
2. Flash the OEM ROM to your device (this will restore your OS but not the bootloader, we'll get to that below)
3. Copy the ROM to a temp folder and extract it, I use WinRAR, just right click on it and select "Extract to Here"
4. After extracting the ROM you should have a several files here, one called RUU_signed.nbh is the one we're looking for. Copy this file to another empty temp directory.
5. Download NBHExtract and follow the instructions in the link to extract the NB files from the ROM (essentially just copy nbhextract.exe to the temp folder where the nbh file is and run it from a command line - like so C:\temp\kitchen\>nbhextract.exe RUU_signed.nbh
6. You should now have several .nb files in that directory, the one we're interested in is the 01_SPL.nb.
7. Now you have to create an NBH file with just the SPL, to do that download htcrt (HTC Rom Tool).
8. Run the tool and under the ROM Builder tab select Kaiser, the rest on the left side doesn't matter right now. On the right side of this window click the "..." next to SPL and select the 01_SPL.nb you extracted from the OEM ROM. This should be the only thing added under Firmware Contents. Click Build ROM.
9. You should now have a NBH file that is relatively small (about 258K), copy this NBH file to a new empty directory
10. Download pof's KaiserCustomRUU.exe and put this in the same directory used in step 9. Don't run this yet.
11. Download pof's SSPL-KAIS.exe and copy it to your phone
12. Run SSPL.KAIS.exe from your phone (make sure you do this on your actual device and not your PC)
13. When you have the bootloader screen on your phone run KaiserCustomRUU.exe from the folder used in step 10.
14. After it's finished verify your SPL by holding down power and camera buttons while doing a soft reset.
15. Send your device back for warranty repair or replacement.

For ATT users ONLY
Steps 3-10 (Idiot's Guide) just made easier... download this file, unrar ... resume at step 11 if you download and use this file (you only need one of these, pick the one that matches the stock ROM you installed)
Original ATT SPL - http://rapidshare.com/files/92272343/ATT_SPL.rar
Updated ATT SPL - http://rapidshare.com/files/92269531/New_ATT_SPL.zip Feb 14, 2008

For HTC users ONLY
Steps 3-10 (Idiot's Guide) just made easier... download this file, unrar ... resume at step 11 if you download and use this file
http://rapidshare.com/files/92272415/HTC_SPL.rar

For users that were originally running the 1.81 SPL credit: rock4mayo
http://rapidshare.com/files/92272475...L1.81.0000.rar

For users that were running other Shipped ROMs
See jcespi2005's Reconstructed ROMs thread and/or the Shipped ROMs wiki

FYI... this is all at your own risk, I don't guarantee my files are working, though the ATT one worked for me, your best bet is to make your own. I also take no responsibility for any damage you do to your phone following these steps or using these tools... Best of luck to you.

9th October 2007, 07:04 PM |#2  

More
Nice sirsycho...when get my Tilt (hopefully Wednesday) I will try this out. If it works someone should definitely sticky this because I have an ominous feeling I will not be the only person concerned about this.

Thanks for the even more thorough guide sirsyco and to the mod that stickied this
9th October 2007, 09:59 PM |#3  
Flag California

More
Hmmm...

Only if the device is defate...

Why purcahse a new phone to play around and return it?

Oh well... good information for some..
10th October 2007, 12:01 AM |#4  
Flag San, Diego, CA
Thanks Meter: 13

More
SSPL-KAIS.exe doesn't seem to be available anymore. Is there any other way to revert back? I need to return the Tilt I paid $549.00 for because I just bought one on premier for $299.00.
10th October 2007, 02:05 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkorzuch

SSPL-KAIS.exe doesn't seem to be available anymore. Is there any other way to revert back? I need to return the Tilt I paid $549.00 for because I just bought one on premier for $299.00.

check your PMs

UPDATE:

nevermind... I'm sure pof has his reasons for removing it but it worked for me for this use. CrackedConsole still has his mirror up but pof may ask him to remove it, so get it while you can... again it has known bugs with full ROMs but works fine with bootloaders and splash screens... as always, use at your own risk.

http://www.crackedconsole.com/hosted...ser-SSPLv1.zip

Cheers,
Dave
10th October 2007, 03:45 AM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkorzuch

How are you getting it for $299 on premier? are you due for an upgrade? because on my premier its costing 399 after discounts...(or are you re-upping your contract?)
10th October 2007, 04:17 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
$299 on Premier
Confirmed... just checked my Premier site and it's listed for $299.99 if you add the PDA Unlimited Data plan. They have the $25 online discount on top of that as well... so $275 if you do it online.

Cheers.
10th October 2007, 04:34 AM |#8  
Flag So Cal
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsycho

Confirmed... just checked my Premier site and it's listed for $299.99 if you add the PDA Unlimited Data plan. They have the $25 online discount on top of that as well... so $275 if you do it online.

Cheers.

You mean PDA Connect Unlimited?

Doesn't work for me, ends up at 375.
10th October 2007, 04:45 AM |#9  
Flag Lake Worth, FL
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Just logged into my Premier site as well and its $299 with an Unlimited plan ($33.99/m). Too bad I paid $399.
10th October 2007, 11:42 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
you have to update your voice plan and pda plan as well.so it gives u extra 100 off ..
10th October 2007, 08:22 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by over2land

You mean PDA Connect Unlimited?

Doesn't work for me, ends up at 375.

It has to be the PDA Personal Max data plan to get the discount. The discount is for "subscribing to any voice plan and a data plan with a value of $39 or more", and apparently they mean the pre-discount price. The discount varies per phone - for example the 8525 and Treo 750 end up being $99 after it's applied.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)