FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

WARNING: Active Brodit Carkit

11,218 posts
Thanks Meter: 86,140

By Chainfire, Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt? on 12th November 2007, 06:14 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
WARNING

The "Active" Brodit Carkit, specifically the charger part, can blow out the USB port on your TyTN II, and you will need to RMA your phone. This is due to a missing diode, allowing the car to actually draw power from your device when it needs to. Obviously, the phone does not like that.

The problem seems to be dependant on wether your 'cigarette lighter plug' is positioned before or after the key contact in the 'power chain'.

If you have an Active Brodit carkit, CONTACT YOUR IMPORTER. They can identify if your carkit has this problem by it's serial number (at least the Dutch importer can, I assume other importers will as well). They should (and will) replace or fix the carkit for you by adding a diode and replacing the 1A fuse with a 2A fuse.

There are not a lot of units that have this problem, all of them are early units and are reported to have a serial number starting with M. But it's always better to call and check then having to RMA your phone. If someone who calls their importer to check their serial number could ask for the exact range of 'faulty' units so we can post it here would be great!

The original information came from the TyTN II topic at GoT

--------- Original Post ---------

(sorry if this has been posted, I honestly couldn't find it)

I was (am) looking to find a nice holder (and charger) for my car for the Kaiser. I was actually considering the Active Brodit holder, but then stories started to reach me on another forum (GoT (dutch)) of several people who had their active Brodit's charger damage their USB port.

One of the guys on that forum contacted the tech support of the importer of the active Brodit. Apparently what happens is when you turn off your car, the car drains power from the Kaiser and this can break the holder and possible the the phone's USB port.

Anyone here have any experience with this?

12th November 2007, 07:10 PM |#2  
Flag Louisville, KY
Thanks Meter: 123

More
I haven't heard of this - they're just using a standard 1A car charger. Mine is powered all the time so it can charge with the car off.
13th November 2007, 02:28 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Unhappy USB problems since using active Brodit cradle
Funny you should mention this: My Tytn II is RMA'd with a dead USB port... no mains or sync cable charging. This happened straight after I first used the active cradle, but I hadn't pinned down the cause until I saw your post. As the post above suggests, it would seem odd that such a simple mechanism would damage the port... but maybe...
13th November 2007, 04:42 PM |#4  
OP Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt?
Thanks Meter: 86,140

Donate to Me
More
Opening post updated with information. Moderators, please sticky this.
13th November 2007, 04:53 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
It happened to me.
15th November 2007, 08:56 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Post I bought it yesterday : )
I have just bought a Brodit Carkit, but I'm afraid of using it.
I asked the seller but he knows nothing about it.

Is there a way to check my product is fault or not?
15th November 2007, 12:55 PM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoli2006

Send a mail to brodit or look for the wholesaler in your country. It has specifik serial numbers starting with an M followed by six digits, but i don't no the range.
15th November 2007, 01:00 PM |#8  
Flag Erlangen

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoli2006

Now I know why I bought the passive Brodit holder (more flexibility, I can mount it on the bicycle too, what could I use the charger there for?) with an ordinary 12V to miniUSB charger for other HTC phones. Funny thing is all these shops are practicing different prices for the same charger which fits on several phone models. If you buy it for the Kaiser, it's at least 15€, but I've chosen it for another, older HTC (guess Artemis or so), knowing it would work, and only payed 0.39€ for it, strange, isn't it? Online shop Mafia...
15th November 2007, 06:35 PM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco899

Send a mail to brodit or look for the wholesaler in your country. It has specifik serial numbers starting with an M followed by six digits, but i don't no the range.

I called them, and according the serial number my carkit is OK.
That is great.
15th November 2007, 07:07 PM |#10  
Flag Desert Hot Springs, CA
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I just installed my ProKit last night, so far no issues yet. I called Prokit (the prokit is made by brodit) this morning and they just heard about the issues but had not got any calls or info from Brodit regarding the issue. In fact, I was their first customer calling in.

I'll let you know if anything changes....
16th November 2007, 12:58 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
I just got off the phone to Dave at DSL developments, the importers for the Brodit kit. He and Brodit are aware now that a very small number of early units had a fault and he has replaced mine very swiftly.

I am not associated with either party but I am aware that a problem with one or two units can really wreck a man's business if the scale of the problem is inflated on forums such as this one (let's face it, no one ever posts to say that a charger DIDN'T break their phone!).

This post is to let you all know that the problem was there in a very tiny fraction of chargers but is now fixed. And thanks to Dave at DSL for excellent service!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)