Let's give thanks on Thanksgiving; Its a new XM6!
You can now cook your own version of this rom! Click Here!
XDA Mobile 6 Release 4 (XM6r4 for short) is the fourth version of the popular XM6 rom series for the Wizard. The base rom is the same, but with new features and fixes to a few bugs found in XM6r3.
XM6r4 is built on the OS 5.2.318 Build 15342.4.0.01 rom that was provided to us by InGeNeTiCs from Howard Forums. While this is not the "newest" release of WM6, it is the last known release that was built for the Wizard (ie: its not a port from another HTC Device). Various pieces of the base rom have been upgraded, so some of it is stuff ported from other phones so that it can have newer functionality. Overall, I feel this base is very stable and fast and makes a great base to cook on.
Please Note: this ROM was NOT intended to push the limits on speed optimization or memory optimization. It was made to be functional, stable, and something that I myself wanted and will use. I've found it to very quick and responsive (especially with Overclocking with BatteryStatus), and so far Battery life has been very good for me and those beta testing this. If you have a Battery Drain issue, make sure you flashed back to an official rom before you upgraded to this one, as that should correct extended rom corruption that has been shown to cause battery draining. BatteryStatus is NOT included in this ROM. If you want to overclock or use other features of BatteryStatus, you are welcome to download and install the latest version of BatteryStatus yourself. I personally use it, and have OMAP set to 247MHz with CPUscalar set from 143 to 247 and Boost set to 260Mhz.
Base ROM Information
The base rom was an "Official" Wizard WM6 ROM that was part of the development cycle of WM6 inside of Microsoft (Dogfood as they call it). The base rom was not a port of another device rom with drivers and stuff pieced and parted onto this one, but this was an actual Wizard WM6.
- Windows Mobile 6, OS 5.2.318 Build 15342.4.0.01
- ROM Version: 10.1.0.811 WWE
- ROM Date: 08/11/06
- Protocol: 4.1.13.09
What's In XDA Mobile 6 Release 4?
Bolded items are new / upgraded from XM6r3
- WkTask 188.8.131.52 (replaces pBar and AltTab)
- Aserg's Touch Scroll Only
- HButton (Enable multiple apps on hardware buttons)
- HTC Action
- HTC TOUCH Dialer with enhanced keypad numbers by peu
- HTC Voice Recorder
- WMP Touch style skin
- PPC Contacts Manager
- MortPlayer replaces HTC Audio Manager
- Internet Sharing via BlueTooth DUN (like WM5); WM6 Internet Sharing is still there, the BT DUN is in addition to that!
- Schap's Advanced Configuration Tool v1.1 and VoIP Setup Tool
- Office 2007
- 9 Button "Touch" Style CommManager from the Kaiser
- VoIP (See next post for instructions to set this up)
- Arcsoft Composer 184.108.40.206 (SMS and MMS are split apart and not merged)
- Notepad editor
- Pocket RAR
- SIP Config
- SK tsync (Time Synchronization)
- Total Commander Beta 2.5 Beta 3
- PIM Backup to 2.5
- Esmertec Java Manager (replaces the standard Midlet Manager)
- Oxios Memory
- Windows Live Search searches via Google
- WM5torage 1.78Beta4
- SIM Manager
- dotFred TaskManager (with registry editor link setup and associations built in for .reg files)
- .NET 2.0 SP2
- delayedexec.exe is in \Windows but is not configured. See this post for details on using this.
- FingerFriendlyFriends 1.0 Beta 2 (Replaces PocketCM)
- WinXplore 0.4
- Mortscript 4.1
- Grey / Black Onscreen Keyboard
- Mobile Justice (a security app that will send an SMS if an unauthorized SIM is placed in your phone)
- TodayAgenda 1.0 (Not Beta!)
- StartClean replaces ClearTemp
- PocketScreen replaces Pocket Screen Capture
- 1-Calc Lite
- PeekPocket 1.5
- MoDaCo NoData (so you can turn off data sources)
- Smartskey 0.56 (DPAD is set to 0 in the .ini so the up and down scrolling works in the Phone dialer as expected in WM6)
- DotFred's SoftKeyAppletEx
- Adobe Reader LE
- Battery Gauge (Displays a colored bar at the top of screen to show battery level)
- BT Crawler[/b]
- Camera 3
- Freecell (a Solitaire card game)
- SuperDoku v1.1 - Puzzle game
- Tetris - game
- Some new and fun ring tones - Nokia death, R2D2, Oldphone and Wolf Howl)
Mods made from XM6r3
In addition to the apps listed above, the following fixes and mods were made to improve the user experience on XM6r4
- Changing ringtone now stays changed when you leave the Phone app
- Using press and hold on CommManager button toggles vibrate on and off, and phone does NOT stay stuck in vibrate / no ring mode
- Regional Settings default to English (United States) and use a slash for the date seperator (M/dd/yyyy)
- Menu sounds work by default
- Pressing the "End Call" button does not disconnect GPRS but minimized the active application. Pressing and holding the "End Call" button for about 5 seconds will do a GPRS Disconnect
- Internet access over ActiveSync (USB) connection works (You must apply a registry fix on your PC first. See the next post for the fix)
- D pad now works differently with PIE. Up and down presses on the D Pad stay the same, but pressing right jumps forward a page and pressing left jumps backwards a page. Makes going through websites easier (IMO).
- Fixed the A2DP registry for sampling
- Registry Entries for PIE Connections to speed page loading
- Registry Entries to increase In Call Volume
- Press Button 1 for messaging (like normal) or hold it a little longer and HTC Action will come up (via HButton)
- WkTask setup to not show Phone and Activesync as running apps in task bar
- QuickMenu enabled for nice drop down and cascading start menu
- Touch Scroll only is active so use your finger to scroll in most places
You MUST have an IPL and SPL at 2.xx or higher (BOTH not just one or the other).
You MUST be running ActiveSync 4.5 on Windows XP (Vista comes with the correct sync utility, although there have been issues reported about Vista and sync'ing with PPC's so be aware of that).
Before you attempt to upgrade to this ROM, Please follow this thread to learn how to flash roms, CID unlock your phone, and how to fix issues you may run into! It is also recommended that you flash your phone with a Windows XP computer and not Vista. It will work with Vista, but if you run into problems Vista can't talk to a phone in Bootloader mode!
- I HIGHLY Recommend that you flash back to an official rom before upgrading to this (or any) custom rom so you have a clean base (and correct any Extended ROM corruption you might have). G4 users would flash back to their provider's latest official release or the Wizard Love ROM. G3 users can use T-Mobile 2.26 for a good base.
- If you use BatteryStatus (its NOT included in the rom!) to overclock, I don't recommend overclocking above 260Mhz, and the CPUscaler settings in BatteryStatus should not be set to a min lower than 143MHz (or your device may not wake back up after going to sleep).
- Newer Radio ROMs on WM6 have had issues in the past (especially for Cingular / AT&T users). T-Mobile 2.19 (UK or NL versions) seems to be the most stable, but you can now run newer radios with the attached cab. This cab also works for some other providers but not for all, so its up to you to test what works for your phone.
I've moved the credits to the 5th post of this thread as this post has become too big.
- When entering a contact in the "To:" field it does not link to the outlook contacts, it instead shows suggested words. You can tap the word "to" and it will go to the contact list no problem. Also, when trying to select a file to send no file names or pictures are displayed just empty square boxes, you can tap the box and it will go to the next sub folder, if it is a folder. There are no thumbnails or files listed so it is impossible to navigate to select a picture or video. Click Here to download patch
- After the initial flash, some have reported that QuickMenu pops open the start menu when you are supposed to tap the screen to start the phone setup. Just wait a second or two and it will close by itself.
- The base rom has a bug / feature where if GPRS is active, unanswered calls may not show up as a missed call and may not give notification of the unanswered call. If this happens, the unanswered call shows up in the history as an answered call with a duration of 1 or 2 seconds.
Official Download Sites for XDA Mobile 6 Release 4
I'll upload with more mirrors as they become available.