Votes: 16 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters
Search This thread

szabolcsx

Dec 30, 2014
Flash Notifications
This is an app which lets you use your phone's flash as a notification LED. As you might notice our phone doesn't have a notification LED but instead it has a flash light next to the selfie camera. Whenever you get a notification and your screen is turned off, the app will blink the flash light until you dismissed them all. For the sake of battery life the delay between the blinks is increased over time which means the longer you leave your phone alone the rarer a blink will occur.​

WHAT IS WORKING NOW
  1. As soon as you get a notification and your screen turns off the phone's selfie flash starts blinking
  2. The blinking is paused when you turn your screen on
  3. The blinking is stopped if you dismiss all of the notifications

KNOWN ISSUES/LIMITATIONS
  1. Because of the way how AlarmManager is implemented no app can wake up the device when it is in dose mode more frequent than 15 minutes. This means as soon as the device enters into deep sleep my app will only be able to wake up the device and blink the flash light in every 15 minutes
  2. Notifications posted by music player/radio also trigger a notification - expected to be resolved in the future

PLANS FOR FUTURE
  1. Prevent specific apps to use flash notifications
  2. Let the user select the which apps should use flash notifications
  3. Let the user switch between front and back facing flash
  4. Define blinking patterns for individual apps
  5. Make the settings exportable into storage or cloud
  6. Increase the list of supported devices

The current build is only expected to work on J510 running Android 6.0.1.

Download APK

I NEED YOUR HELP
Please report any app that should be excluded by default. One of those apps are music apps, if you pause the song a cleanable notification will be created and my app will start blinking the flash which of course is not desired.

DISCLAIMER
This app comes freely WITHOUT ANY KIND OF WARRANTY! I don't take any responsibility for the damages it might cause (data loss/missed alarms because the battery died too fast/you being fired because you were late from work)! This is an alpha release!
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

XDA:DevDB Information
Flash Notifications, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy J5

Contributors
szabolcsx
Source Code: https://github.com/szabolcsx/android-flash-notifications

ROM OS Version: 6.0.x Marshmallow

Version Information

Created 2016-11-20
Last Updated 2016-11-26

Last edited:

szabolcsx

Dec 30, 2014
Instructions

How to report bugs

If you encounter a bug please use the "Bug Reports" button at the top of the thread. Also before reporting please check whether has someone already submitted that bug.

How to request features

Feature requests are always welcome however because I'm doing the development of this app in my free time I can promise anything. Don't ask for an ETA!

This is an international forum. Please use English whenever you report a bug or make a feature request.

How to install the app
  1. Enable "Unknown sources" in the Settings > Lock screen and security
  2. Install the APK
  3. Enable the app in Settings > Lock screen and security > Other security settings > Notification access

The app needs to have access to all of your notifications in order to detect when do you get or dismiss one. It won't spy on them and it won't collect any sensible data regarding them.

Last edited:

#Henkate

Feb 1, 2012
フェアリーテイル
The app needs to have access to all of your notification in order to detect when do you get or dismiss one. It won't spy on them and it won't collect any sensible data regarding them.

Nice app.
As long as it doesn't have internet connection permission, everything is alright. Such app wouldn't need internet connection I guess :p

By the way, you should make a thread when download links are ready...

szabolcsx

Dec 30, 2014
Nice app.
As long as it doesn't have internet connection permission, everything is alright. Such app wouldn't need internet connection I guess :p

By the way, you should make a thread when download links are ready...

It doesn't require internet connection. Soon I'm gonna add a downloadable APK.

LONEWOLF#95

Sep 12, 2016
NEW DELHI
what the. i cant see this app anymore how do i access the settings. the app is magically missing. After installation it vanished and i cant find it. wtf man. Is my privacy compromised. >:eek:

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 AM ----------

i uninstalled it. *TRASHED*

szabolcsx

Dec 30, 2014
what the. i cant see this app anymore how do i access the settings. the app is magically missing. After installation it vanished and i cant find it. wtf man. Is my privacy compromised. >:eek:

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 AM ----------

i uninstalled it. *TRASHED*

It is a background service. It doesn't have a launcher icon. Read the instructions before making accusations.

Yuen.Jason22

Sep 22, 2013
Hong Kong
My phone freezes can't use after installed this app :(
I was forced to factory settings wipe all :) now everything starts over again

PS. I'm on android 5.1.1 SM-J5108, didn't notice the instructions at first :/

tweakradje

Stock rom has this option in Settings Accessibility Hearing. Can not get it to work though.

Edit: Stock flash notification is only for back flash lite and for certain apps. I tested your app/service and it works
great. Maybe some user settings like front/back flash and timers? Perhaps apps list with toggles?

Keep up the good work.

Last edited:

KaushikMajumdar

Jan 4, 2017
Dhekiajuli
Stocm Rom Has It

No matter whether you're in 5.0 or 6.0, there is a setting under "Accessibility/Hearing" for the feature. Only helpful indoors and at night though.

JSquare

Apr 3, 2010
Wish this would work on my Moto 4G Play, don't know why manufactures are removing visual (LED) notifications from their devices, even my cheap LG Volt has this feature and it's very helpful when you are away from you phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Flash Notifications
    This is an app which lets you use your phone's flash as a notification LED. As you might notice our phone doesn't have a notification LED but instead it has a flash light next to the selfie camera. Whenever you get a notification and your screen is turned off, the app will blink the flash light until you dismissed them all. For the sake of battery life the delay between the blinks is increased over time which means the longer you leave your phone alone the rarer a blink will occur.​

WHAT IS WORKING NOW
    1. As soon as you get a notification and your screen turns off the phone's selfie flash starts blinking
    2. The blinking is paused when you turn your screen on
    3. The blinking is stopped if you dismiss all of the notifications

KNOWN ISSUES/LIMITATIONS
    1. Because of the way how AlarmManager is implemented no app can wake up the device when it is in dose mode more frequent than 15 minutes. This means as soon as the device enters into deep sleep my app will only be able to wake up the device and blink the flash light in every 15 minutes
    2. Notifications posted by music player/radio also trigger a notification - expected to be resolved in the future

PLANS FOR FUTURE
    1. Prevent specific apps to use flash notifications
    2. Let the user select the which apps should use flash notifications
    3. Let the user switch between front and back facing flash
    4. Define blinking patterns for individual apps
    5. Make the settings exportable into storage or cloud
    6. Increase the list of supported devices

The current build is only expected to work on J510 running Android 6.0.1.

Download APK

I NEED YOUR HELP
    Please report any app that should be excluded by default. One of those apps are music apps, if you pause the song a cleanable notification will be created and my app will start blinking the flash which of course is not desired.

DISCLAIMER
    This app comes freely WITHOUT ANY KIND OF WARRANTY! I don't take any responsibility for the damages it might cause (data loss/missed alarms because the battery died too fast/you being fired because you were late from work)! This is an alpha release!
    USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

XDA:DevDB Information
    Flash Notifications, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy J5

Contributors
    szabolcsx
    Source Code: https://github.com/szabolcsx/android-flash-notifications

ROM OS Version: 6.0.x Marshmallow

Version Information

Created 2016-11-20
    Last Updated 2016-11-26
    Instructions

How to report bugs

If you encounter a bug please use the "Bug Reports" button at the top of the thread. Also before reporting please check whether has someone already submitted that bug.

How to request features

Feature requests are always welcome however because I'm doing the development of this app in my free time I can promise anything. Don't ask for an ETA!

This is an international forum. Please use English whenever you report a bug or make a feature request.

How to install the app
    1. Enable "Unknown sources" in the Settings > Lock screen and security
    2. Install the APK
    3. Enable the app in Settings > Lock screen and security > Other security settings > Notification access

The app needs to have access to all of your notifications in order to detect when do you get or dismiss one. It won't spy on them and it won't collect any sensible data regarding them.
    A new version is up. If you encounter any problems during the installation just remove the old app and start over.