[ROM][OFFICIAL] LineageOS 14.1 Nightlies for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 (d2vzw)

Search This thread

invisiblek

Recognized Developer
Feb 24, 2010
Minnesota
www.invisiblek.org
LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 7.1 (Nougat), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>

/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
 */

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps). LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Download Links

LineageOS:
Downloads: https://download.lineageos.org/d2vzw

Google apps addon:
OpenGapps: http://opengapps.org/ (you'll want a zip for the ARM platform, Android version 7.1)
HEADS UP: Be sure you flash the gapps package with your rom. If you boot your rom, then go back and try to flash gapps after the fact, you're gonna have a bad time.

Firmware:
Your best bet is to be on the MF1 bootstack/NE1 modem combo. Here's a flashable zip (this only needs to be done once): http://www.invisiblek.org/firmware/d2/d2vzw_MF1_firmware_NE1_modem.zip

Misc Links

Changelog:
Link: https://download.lineageos.org/d2vzw/changes/

Learn to build yourself:
Link: https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/d2vzw/build

The LineageOS team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!

XDA:DevDB Information
[ROM][OFFICIAL] LineageOS 14.1 Nightlies for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 (d2vzw), ROM for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III

Contributors
invisiblek
Source Code: http://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat

Version Information

Created 2016-12-05
Last Updated 2016-12-05

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity regarding the CM14.1...

Anyone having issue with internet connectivity specifically with the Play Store only (downloaded from Open GApps)?

Also, is anyone having issues with their external MicroSD. Though the external MicroSD can be viewed and can browse it, I'm Specifically stating the inability to execute, open, write to, etc...?

I had already sent the issues I'm having along with all my log files to @invisiblek and was curious as to any others experiencing the same/similar issues I experienced.

Thank you all for your time and understanding!

azradiohead

Jun 6, 2010
Thank you @invisiblek and other contributors. This is a great rom for this old phone. My DD is a LG G4, again, I went back to that after three Note 7's and all that drama. It's sad when a years old Galaxy S3 is running the latest and greatest but my LG G4 is still on last years Android! Yikes

I'm only using the SGS3 as a Wifi device so I can't comment on Cell radio functions but it's very smooth and seems markedly faster than when I was last using it as a DD. The only issue I've had and it may not even be related to this rom... I wanted to use Chainfire's PryFi to stick it to Kohls and Walmart that use WiFi Mac trackers, but when I launch PryFi and turn it on, it almost immediately crashes no matter what I do. Wipe cache, dalvik, reset and I get the same thing.

Thanks for the great work. Much appreciated!

@invisiblek, I'm reading elsewhere that the CM14.x should be installed first, then after the setup is accomplished, reboot back in to the recovery, then flash the GApps package.

Is this correct?

I just wanted to be sure in regards to the unconventional method of flashing the CM and the GApps together then reboot.

But, as you may know, after installing the 2 conventionally, I'm having trouble with the Play Store as well as the External MicroSD after setup.

I'd really appreciate your confirmation.

Thanks a Bunch!

Sent from my d2vzw using XDA Labs

Master Cylinder

Oct 31, 2013
Albuquerque
@invisiblek, I'm reading elsewhere that the CM14.x should be installed first, then after the setup is accomplished, reboot back in to the recovery, then flash the GApps package.

Is this correct?

I just wanted to be sure in regards to the unconventional method of flashing the CM and the GApps together then reboot.

But, as you may know, after installing the 2 conventionally, I'm having trouble with the Play Store as well as the External MicroSD after setup.

I'd really appreciate your confirmation.

Thanks a Bunch!

I had a problem installing the first time - I put build+Open GApps Aroma in the que and when the Aroma install was supposed to come up everything went black but the phone was still on. I flashed one and then the other without booting and it booted into initial setup normally.

But, I created a Nandroid with TWRP 2.8.7.0 and tried to restore the last Unofficial 14.1 build nandroid that worked normally but I couldn't get the sim card to work. Same when I tried to restore the new official. I tried numerous different ways to hold my mouth but it would never mount the SIM and settings was crapped out. I was able to restore my last MM nandroid and have it work normally. I've just switched to the latest TWRP 3.x.x.x. Don't know if that has anything to do with it....

I'm clean installing the new official again! :mad: It got stuck on boot (wrong boot animation, too) but pulling the batt and restarting, it went normally. (My Tibu settings were in the /data wipe. Gotta mount one and pull them :mad:)

I had a problem installing the first time - I put build+Open GApps Aroma in the que and when the Aroma install was supposed to come up everything went black but the phone was still on. I flashed one and then the other without booting and it booted into initial setup normally.

But, I created a Nandroid with TWRP 2.8.7.0 and tried to restore the last Unofficial 14.1 build nandroid that worked normally but I couldn't get the sim card to work. Same when I tried to restore the new official. I tried numerous different ways to hold my mouth but it would never mount the SIM and settings was crapped out. I was able to restore my last MM nandroid and have it work normally. I've just switched to the latest TWRP 3.x.x.x. Don't know if that has anything to do with it....

I'm clean installing the new official again! :mad: It got stuck on boot (wrong boot animation, too) but pulling the batt and restarting, it went normally. (My Tibu settings were in the /data wipe. Gotta mount one and pull them :mad:)

Thank you for your response!

I always had the latest TWRP 3.0.2-0 installed.

I flashed the CM14.1 20161207, Open GApps Pico 20161207 and, at first, SuperSU 2.78 Stable then when I retried a fresh install, i used SuperSU 2.78 SR5.

The same issues occurred (primarily) with the Play Store not being able to access the Internet the Internet and being able to see everything on my External MicroSD but, still not being able to read, write, move copy, install, etc...

I did see, during the initial bootup where you have the initial setup of CM & Google, the Google setup went fine but, I did notice that the carrier name reflected "no service" or "unknown" or something similar. I had ventured in to the network settings and did see everything needed in there so I didn't give it another thought.

To be honest, my opinion is that i really don't think that the release of the OFFICIAL CM14.1 Nightly was not ready yet.

I had to E-mailed @invisiblek the list of issues along with the installation log files from both the CM14.1 and the GApps but, I haven't even received an acknowledgement of at least a thank you.
@invisiblek is listed as the primary point of contact for Cyanogenmod and other than e-mailing him along with posting the issue here to his attention, I'm not sure how else to report any issues/feedback to Cyanogenmod... Cyanogenmod doesn't really pay attention to their own forums that has resulted in most individuals not even bothering with posting anything there anymore.

I'm personally going to put CM14.1 on hold till there's either some indication of improvement or finding some information reflecting my issues with some fixes, tryouts, solutions, etc...

I'm real disappointed with this...

Stealth111

May 20, 2009
Thank you for your response!

I always had the latest TWRP 3.0.2-0 installed.

I flashed the CM14.1 20161207, Open GApps Pico 20161207 and, at first, SuperSU 2.78 Stable then when I retried a fresh install, i used SuperSU 2.78 SR5.

The same issues occurred (primarily) with the Play Store not being able to access the Internet the Internet and being able to see everything on my External MicroSD but, still not being able to read, write, move copy, install, etc...

I did see, during the initial bootup where you have the initial setup of CM & Google, the Google setup went fine but, I did notice that the carrier name reflected "no service" or "unknown" or something similar. I had ventured in to the network settings and did see everything needed in there so I didn't give it another thought.

To be honest, my opinion is that i really don't think that the release of the OFFICIAL CM14.1 Nightly was not ready yet.

I had to E-mailed @invisiblek the list of issues along with the installation log files from both the CM14.1 and the GApps but, I haven't even received an acknowledgement of at least a thank you.
@invisiblek is listed as the primary point of contact for Cyanogenmod and other than e-mailing him along with posting the issue here to his attention, I'm not sure how else to report any issues/feedback to Cyanogenmod... Cyanogenmod doesn't really pay attention to their own forums that has resulted in most individuals not even bothering with posting anything there anymore.

I'm personally going to put CM14.1 on hold till there's either some indication of improvement or finding some information reflecting my issues with some fixes, tryouts, solutions, etc...

I'm real disappointed with this...

I'll attempt to try to help with some of the issues here, as I have direct contact with invisiblek pretty much daily. First I will start off with a few questions, NOT poking, just asking, this also may address some previous posts as well... You have a verizon SCH-I535 correct, and not another variant? Just making sure. And to start you wiped data in TWRP (wipe to install new ROM option basically). Told it to flash your 12/07 build? Did you ADD the "opengapps 7.1 ARM Pico" build to the multiple flash option, or did you flash rom, then go back in and flash opengapps? After it rebooted, it sometimes takes a while to get the setup to actually start and display, sometimes it goes to a black screen for minutes, but be patient, it will come.. At that point in time, it will initialize sim card and be connected, as this was my experience on all 3 of my S3 phones in my household. Then proceed through setup...
Is your external card formatted as "portable storage", or is it formatted as "Adopted storage". Also what type of filesystem do you have the card formatted with? What file manager are you using to try to access your card with? There was some expected changes that might have to be worked out as the "unofficial" roms were running Selinux in permissive mode, and the "official" roms are running it in Enforcing mode. That is bound to cause some small differences in the way the 2 roms behave. Also, I need to ask why you are trying to install SuperSU on a rom that already has Root (and the ability to manage it) built into the rom? There might be some issues being caused by that in itself.
I know that personally BusyBox (I rely on it daily) will NOT install on the official for me, but installs fine on the unofficials. Also, I have had limited luck with the built in file manager. I have used ES File Explorer forever, and it continues to behave well on this rom. Also, even if you are going to nandroid back and forth between official and unofficial, it is best to do a wipe of DATA before the nandroid... As far as the play store goes, I haven't experienced any lack of connectivity. I do get very small intermittent blips where it seems like it isn't connected for a second or 2, but it is very rare, and it has always been like that as far as I can remember.. Part of the reason that is for me is because I use a network extender, and it has always been the achilles heel with CM.
Try going into TWRP, do the "wipe to install new rom", add the cm zip, and ALSO add the latest "Opengapps arm 7.1 pico or micro" (your choice) build into the zip queue so that they are flashed in succession. Let it rip, and see if that offers you any different results. After you get it initially setup, go into developer options and enable root as needed. Give it a run and see what issue are still present, if any. I am surprised to hear some of these issues, as between myself, my kids, and a handful of friends, everyone is super stoked at how well these early builds are running... I myself have less than 3 reported issues from friends that we are looking into, and they are all just cosmetic bugs so far... I will be glad to try to help in any way possible..

P.S. There have been quite a few things resolved/changed between TWRP 2.8.7.0 and 3.0.2-0, I would highly suggest not only upgrading to the latest TWRP version, but also making sure you are on the firmware versions that are mentioned in the OP.

Stealth111

Last edited:
Reactions: Ibuprophen
I'll attempt to try to help with some of the issues here, as I have direct contact with invisiblek pretty much daily. First I will start off with a few questions, NOT poking, just asking, this also may address some previous posts as well... You have a verizon SCH-I535 correct, and not another variant? Just making sure. And to start you wiped data in TWRP (wipe to install new ROM option basically). Told it to flash your 12/07 build? Did you ADD the "opengapps 7.1 ARM Pico" build to the multiple flash option, or did you flash rom, then go back in and flash opengapps? After it rebooted, it sometimes takes a while to get the setup to actually start and display, sometimes it goes to a black screen for minutes, but be patient, it will come.. At that point in time, it will initialize sim card and be connected, as this was my experience on all 3 of my S3 phones in my household. Then proceed through setup...
Is your external card formatted as "portable storage", or is it formatted as "Adopted storage". Also what type of filesystem do you have the card formatted with? What file manager are you using to try to access your card with? There was some expected changes that might have to be worked out as the "unofficial" roms were running Selinux in permissive mode, and the "official" roms are running it in Enforcing mode. That is bound to cause some small differences in the way the 2 roms behave. Also, I need to ask why you are trying to install SuperSU on a rom that already has Root (and the ability to manage it) built into the rom? There might be some issues being caused by that in itself.
I know that personally BusyBox (I rely on it daily) will NOT install on the official for me, but installs fine on the unofficials. Also, I have had limited luck with the built in file manager. I have used ES File Explorer forever, and it continues to behave well on this rom. Also, even if you are going to nandroid back and forth between official and unofficial, it is best to do a wipe of DATA before the nandroid... As far as the play store goes, I haven't experienced any lack of connectivity. I do get very small intermittent blips where it seems like it isn't connected for a second or 2, but it is very rare, and it has always been like that as far as I can remember.. Part of the reason that is for me is because I use a network extender, and it has always been the achilles heel with CM.
Try going into TWRP, do the "wipe to install new rom", add the cm zip, and ALSO add the latest "Opengapps arm 7.1 pico or micro" (your choice) build into the zip queue so that they are flashed in succession. Let it rip, and see if that offers you any different results. After you get it initially setup, go into developer options and enable root as needed. Give it a run and see what issue are still present, if any. I am surprised to hear some of these issues, as between myself, my kids, and a handful of friends, everyone is super stoked at how well these early builds are running... I myself have less than 3 reported issues from friends that we are looking into, and they are all just cosmetic bugs so far... I will be glad to try to help in any way possible..

P.S. There have been quite a few things resolved/changed between TWRP 2.8.7.0 and 3.0.2-0, I would highly suggest not only upgrading to the latest TWRP version, but also making sure you are on the firmware versions that are mentioned in the OP.

Stealth111

Okay... I tried to sort out and answer all the questions the best i could.

I also attached the log files. They are dated according to the Nightly releases.

Q: You have a verizon SCH-I535 correct, and not another variant?

A: Yes. I have an SCH-I535.

Q: And to start you wiped data in TWRP (wipe to install new ROM option basically).

A: 1) Factory Reset. 2) Wipe Dalvik, Data, Internal Storage, Cache and System. 3) Format Data. Then Restart Recovery back to TWRP.

Q: Told it to flash your 12/07 build?
Did you ADD the "opengapps 7.1 ARM Pico" build to the multiple flash option, or did you flash rom, then go back in and flash opengapps?

A: Install and select CM14.1 12/07 build then the Open GApps 7.1 ARM Pico. To add... I tried flashing the 2 above only, then tried the same 2 above with SuperSU 2.78 Stable, lastly the 2 above with SuperSU 2.78 SR5. All resulted with the same issues.

Q: Is your external card formatted as "portable storage", or is it formatted as "Adopted storage".

A: Portable Storage.

Q: Also what type of filesystem do you have the card formatted with?

A: VFAT

Q: What file manager are you using to try to access your card with?

A: Stock & ES File Explorer Pro

Q: Also, I need to ask why you are trying to install SuperSU on a rom that already has Root (and the ability to manage it) built into the rom?

A: I'm aware of the stock root manager but, i've always preferred SuperSU's root management.

I really appreciate your assistance and please don't hesitate to defer to @invisiblek if necessary.

Also, please keep in mind that I'm not in a race. Take your time because patience is a virtue...

Thank you very much!!!

I wonder if the GApps issue is the underlying issue. I hope @MastahF & @Rapper_skull is aware of and working on it?

Last edited:

Master Cylinder

Oct 31, 2013
Albuquerque
I know that personally BusyBox (I rely on it daily) will NOT install on the official for me, but installs fine on the unofficials.

Stealth111

I installed Stericson BusyBox Pro using Google Play and it works fine! :) Lucky me!

Okay... I tried to sort out and answer all the questions the best i could.

I also attached the log files. They are dated according to the Nightly releases.

Q: You have a verizon SCH-I535 correct, and not another variant?

A: Yes. I have an SCH-I535.

Q: And to start you wiped data in TWRP (wipe to install new ROM option basically).

A: 1) Factory Reset. 2) Wipe Dalvik, Data, Internal Storage, Cache and System. 3) Format Data. Then Restart Recovery back to TWRP.

Q: Told it to flash your 12/07 build?
Did you ADD the "opengapps 7.1 ARM Pico" build to the multiple flash option, or did you flash rom, then go back in and flash opengapps?

A: Install and select CM14.1 12/07 build then the Open GApps 7.1 ARM Pico. To add... I tried flashing the 2 above only, then tried the same 2 above with SuperSU 2.78 Stable, lastly the 2 above with SuperSU 2.78 SR5. All resulted with the same issues.

I know this may sound funny but I've had this EXACT response from clean installs using the tiny GApps packages. Try one of the larger ones or the Aroma installer. (I know it's annoying if you want to keep all that crap off your phone ...)

As I said, I installed without using the qeue. I also wiped Dalvik/cache AFTER the installations, as per the OpenGApps instructions.

Oh, and my phone is purring like a kitten with 12/7 on it! XD

PS - Except for that dang restore issue. Scared to try it again but I gotta try it again eventually.

Stealth111

May 20, 2009
I installed Stericson BusyBox Pro using Google Play and it works fine! :) Lucky me!

I have the same version as well. I go to the store, click install on the Pro version. It installs just fine... I then go in and open the program, it immediately asks for the needed root permissions, which I promptly give it, then I close the welcome message. When I actually then click install from within the program, it then tries to install for about 2 seconds and then says "oops, it looks like the installation was unsuccessful, maybe try a different location"....

Who knows.... :confused::laugh:

Other than that, I agree, purring like a kitten!

Stealth111

I know this may sound funny but I've had this EXACT response from clean installs using the tiny GApps packages. Try one of the larger ones or the Aroma installer. (I know it's annoying if you want to keep all that crap off your phone ...)

As I said, I installed without using the qeue. I also wiped Dalvik/cache AFTER the installations, as per the OpenGApps instructions.

Oh, and my phone is purring like a kitten with 12/7 on it! XD

PS - Except for that dang restore issue. Scared to try it again but I gotta try it again eventually.

I tried the nano on one attempt thinking that pico was the culprit but, the same issue...

Sorry to ask this again but wich partitions should be remounted as f2fs for better performance?

Here's a link that, i believe, will answer your question:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2537119

Good Luck!

---------- Post added at 02:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 AM ----------

I had the same problem with Nano. If you're gonna spend the time to do it, go big. Bigger rather than smaller.

There was a member in the GApps thread who had mentioned that he had a similar issue.

He stated that what worked for him was flashing a GApps Pico package on from about 30 days ago.

I believe that others had to flash their GApps packages from about 30 days ago had worked for them.

I know that this is an issue for many others who also reported it to the Dev(s).

I can't think of what in the world is going on...

96heckler

Jan 9, 2012
Running smooth as ice.......only issue I've had was a single browser hicup. Incredible work, makes me smile knowing I have a newer version on my ancient phone than most of the $700+ flagship phones. Invisablek you sir are the man:good:

Reactions: Jaws4God

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 7.1 (Nougat), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>

/*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you.
     */

LineageOS is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. You will need to provide your own Google Applications package (gapps). LineageOS does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Gerrit Code Review.

Download Links

LineageOS:
    Downloads: https://download.lineageos.org/d2vzw

Google apps addon:
    OpenGapps: http://opengapps.org/ (you'll want a zip for the ARM platform, Android version 7.1)
    HEADS UP: Be sure you flash the gapps package with your rom. If you boot your rom, then go back and try to flash gapps after the fact, you're gonna have a bad time.

Firmware:
    Your best bet is to be on the MF1 bootstack/NE1 modem combo. Here's a flashable zip (this only needs to be done once): http://www.invisiblek.org/firmware/d2/d2vzw_MF1_firmware_NE1_modem.zip

Misc Links

Changelog:
    Link: https://download.lineageos.org/d2vzw/changes/

Learn to build yourself:
    Link: https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/d2vzw/build

The LineageOS team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][OFFICIAL] LineageOS 14.1 Nightlies for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 (d2vzw), ROM for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III

Contributors
    invisiblek
    Source Code: http://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat

Version Information

Created 2016-12-05
    Last Updated 2016-12-05
    Just an FYI regarding a link that's titled

"List of devices getting official LineageOS Roms"

http://www.lineageosrom.com/2016/12/list-of-devices-getting-official.html

Just spreading the word that the d2vzw is on the list. I'm hoping that it remains there for when they release the ROMs.

YAY!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Labs

This is 100% NOT legit. This guy is not affiliated with us at all and is completely trying to mislead people for whatever reason. I HIGHLY recommend not downloading anything off that website.
    Anyone know our future status here? Will we continue to be supported by LineageOS, or is this the end of the road?

After doing some digging, I found this branch on github.. Hopefully this means we will continue to be supported

https://github.com/LineageOS/android_device_samsung_d2vzw

Nah, looks like we are good! :) There are a few people building UNOFFICIALS for us right now, with OFFICIALS to follow when they get build servers and everything else sorted out. If you want to try it, here is a good working build: http://download.invisiblek.org/roms/lineage-14.1/d2vzw/lineage-14.1-20170106-UNOFFICIAL-d2vzw.zip
    I have been running it all day with no issues, pretty much same as last CM builds were. However ***NOTE***, you MUST wipe clean before you flash this, you cannot dirty flash or upgrade this from Cm 14.1 builds due to the fact that this build does not use "test keys" as the OFFICIAL Cm14.1 builds did before shutdown..

Stealth111
    How can I install it on 4.4.2 Verizon device? :(

No Soup for you ;)
    I just wanted to let you all know that I have been doing some much needed housecleaning on my PC and I just uploaded, to my File Host Account, a ton of (untouched) CyanogenMod releases for archival purposes that date back to CM10 (and even earlier in some cases) for the d2vzw, d2lte, jfltevzw and jfltexxx.

If anyone is interested in any/all of them, they can go to the following link(s):

D2VZW

D2LTE

JFLTEVZW

JFLTEXXX

Though, I'm pretty confident that I uploaded all of what I have, i plan to upload any additional ones if i come across any more.

ENJOY!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Free mobile app