FORUMS

vga, Qvga, and realVGA?

182 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By fernandosaez, Senior Member on 12th January 2008, 02:58 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Anyone can tellme what is vga, Qvga, and realVGA? what is the deffirence?
THANKS!
12th January 2008, 05:19 AM |#2  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Redmond
Thanks Meter: 5

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernandosaez

Anyone can tellme what is vga, Qvga, and realVGA? what is the deffirence?
THANKS!

The Universal's screen is made up of 640 by 480 pixels (ie VGA)

However, Windows Mobile is made for QVGA (ie Quarter VGA, or 320 by 240) screens

So, our devices run in QVGA mode (also known as 96dpi(dpi=dots (ie pixels) per inch)) by standard, by making every 4 "hardware" pixels display one "software" pixel (hence making the VGA screen run at QVGA resolution)

So, to show you the common resolutions for the HTC Universal:
Code:
DPI      Resolution       Resolution Name     Hardware to Software Pixel Ratio
 96       320x240             QVGA               4:1
128       512x384             ???                9:4
192       640x480             VGA                1:1
RealVGA is a piece of software that allows our PDA's to run at the three above resolutions

Hope this helps...

(ps. Sorry for the many edits - trying to make information as clear as possible)
12th January 2008, 07:44 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
As long as the real VGA is a hack software, why HTC makes an expensive and high battery consuming hardware for a non-supportive software?? i.e., neither HTC nor Microsoft has released any OS that supports the Real VGA resolution, what could be the rational behind the production of a device with VGA screen??
12th January 2008, 12:25 PM |#4  
Flag delhi

More
thanks buddy i have been searching looking out for the difference from long time but no one seemed to know it by the way i have the real vga software in my uni according to you which is the best resolution i should put it on to work best??
13th January 2008, 07:00 AM |#5  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Redmond

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbahaie

As long as the real VGA is a hack software, why HTC makes an expensive and high battery consuming hardware for a non-supportive software?? i.e., neither HTC nor Microsoft has released any OS that supports the Real VGA resolution, what could be the rational behind the production of a device with VGA screen??

The thing is that certain apps support "High Resolution" (ie VGA) mode, for instance Pocket IE (on WM6)

Also, using multiple hardware pixels per software pixels allows for antialiasing

Quote:

thanks buddy i have been searching looking out for the difference from long time but no one seemed to know it by the way i have the real vga software in my uni according to you which is the best resolution i should put it on to work best??

Personally I prefer the higher resolutions (128dpi looks good, 192dpi is a little too small); however, there are a couple of problems. Firstly, due to poor programming, some applications (especially those that come with WM6 in the settings menu) don't scale their text properly, leading to missing text on higher resolutions. Secondly, I'm short-sighted so I need the bigger buttons\font :P

My advice to you is just to try the other resolutions. It does no harm to the device, and you can revert it to the default (or a different resolution) by using the RealVGA program again (so no danger of getting "stuck" in a resolution)
14th January 2008, 05:12 AM |#6  
Flag delhi

More
thank you very much for your help sir much appreciated
14th January 2008, 10:20 AM |#7  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Redmond

Donate to Me
More
Added to wiki: http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...reenResolution
14th January 2008, 12:55 PM |#8  

More
Hello

I also appreciate this program. However, I have noticed one very unpleasant (at least for me) bug. When there is an incoming call in landscape mode, you couldn't see who is calling (no matter which resolution is set at this moment, even the initial one - according to my understanding this is 192 dpi from the program menu) - caller id info is corrupted - cropped text and photo. I have experienced this bug with 2 wm6 ROMs - JW's and Mo3ulla's. Moreover, in some cases the problem still exists even after uninstall of the RealVGA program. I'm using this version - Real.VGA.for.WM6.v1.1.

Any help or ideas?
15th January 2008, 12:32 AM |#9  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Redmond

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by italcar

Hello

I also appreciate this program. However, I have noticed one very unpleasant (at least for me) bug. When there is an incoming call in landscape mode, you couldn't see who is calling (no matter which resolution is set at this moment, even the initial one - according to my understanding this is 192 dpi from the program menu) - caller id info is corrupted - cropped text and photo. I have experienced this bug with 2 wm6 ROMs - JW's and Mo3ulla's. Moreover, in some cases the problem still exists even after uninstall of the RealVGA program. I'm using this version - Real.VGA.for.WM6.v1.1.

Any help or ideas?

Thats not the RealVGA program then, thats your dailer skin (or the skin it applies to the pop-up displaying the person calling)

Additionally, (as I wrote in the wiki) I have no idea who maintains the RealVGA application or where their homepage is
15th January 2008, 09:15 AM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehPenguin

Thats not the RealVGA program then, thats your dailer skin (or the skin it applies to the pop-up displaying the person calling)

Which WM6 ROM are you using? Do you have such a problem, after installing the RealVGA program?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehPenguin

Additionally, (as I wrote in the wiki) I have no idea who maintains the RealVGA application or where their homepage is

See this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=327830
In my understanding, this is the developer: tobias.waldvogel
And it seems that the application is developed for HTC Athena.
15th January 2008, 12:03 PM |#11  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Redmond

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by italcar

Which WM6 ROM are you using? Do you have such a problem, after installing the RealVGA program?

I do remember having that problem (and can't remember if it still happens - I'm using JWright's 2.12.04 at the moment)

I don't have RealVGA installed at the moment - however, RealVGA shouldn't change anything if you are running at the default resolution (ie 96dpi)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)