FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Reg Edit to change default input method??

3,136 posts
Thanks Meter: 648

By dharvey4651, Retired Senior Moderator on 13th January 2008, 04:09 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I am looking for a regedit to change the default input method. I am particularly fond of PCMKeyboard and use it religiously but every time I soft reset it always defaults back to the 20 button Touch Keyboard.

Thanks in advance, Dan.
13th January 2008, 11:05 AM |#2  
Flag Washington DC
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharvey4651

I am looking for a regedit to change the default input method. I am particularly fond of PCMKeyboard and use it religiously but every time I soft reset it always defaults back to the 20 button Touch Keyboard.

Thanks in advance, Dan.

Took me a while to figure this out, but you have to first completely disable the Touch keyboard. If you use the standard default sip settings Touch keyboard will always override it on a soft reset.

Reversible method:
Go to [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{198D503A-EFFE-4afd-BC54-EED333C80E6D}\InprocServer32] change the default value from \windows\ezinput.dll to something else like \windows\del_ezinput.dll
Also change the default value at [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{198D503A-EFFE-4afd-BC54-EED333C80E6D}\IsSIPInputMethod] to 0

Do the same thing at [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{62B00599-25D2-4e09-8C48-03BF26DB8517}]

(Note: You can also completely delete these two keys rather than renaming the values.)

Then you can use the standard method of setting the default sip. Go to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sip] change the defaultim key to the right value for PCMkeyboard (never used it so i'm not sure). Just search HKCR\CLSID for the keyboard you want and copy down it's CLSID with the brackets then put that in for the defaultim.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense and I'll explain it more thoroughly.

~Xen
14th January 2008, 06:25 AM |#3  
OP Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Olathe, Kansas
Thanks Meter: 648

Donate to Me
More
Awesome. Thanks a bunch man. Worked like a charm.
26th January 2008, 01:52 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Or others that need to change the default SIP may use the attached .cab. Have fun ...
Attached Files
File Type: cab SIPChange.CAB - [Click for QR Code] (225.9 KB, 376 views)
10th February 2008, 12:25 AM |#5  
Flag calgary
Thanks Meter: 148

Donate to Me
More
thank you so much, this was getting to be so annoying
11th February 2008, 03:08 AM |#6  
Flag Durham N.C.
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I have tried sipchange however the standerd is still wrong after a soft reset. Sipchange hasn't really done anything or do I need to follow a certain order?
11th February 2008, 03:22 AM |#7  
Flag Nashville
Thanks Meter: 47

More
look for a program called IMSelector. It works on my Touch where SIPChange did not
15th February 2008, 04:11 AM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteXen

Took me a while to figure this out, but you have to first completely disable the Touch keyboard. If you use the standard default sip settings Touch keyboard will always override it on a soft reset.

Reversible method:
Go to [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{198D503A-EFFE-4afd-BC54-EED333C80E6D}\InprocServer32] change the default value from \windows\ezinput.dll to something else like \windows\del_ezinput.dll
Also change the default value at [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{198D503A-EFFE-4afd-BC54-EED333C80E6D}\IsSIPInputMethod] to 0

Do the same thing at [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{62B00599-25D2-4e09-8C48-03BF26DB8517}]

(Note: You can also completely delete these two keys rather than renaming the values.)

Then you can use the standard method of setting the default sip. Go to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Sip] change the defaultim key to the right value for PCMkeyboard (never used it so i'm not sure). Just search HKCR\CLSID for the keyboard you want and copy down it's CLSID with the brackets then put that in for the defaultim.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense and I'll explain it more thoroughly.

~Xen

I did that and and it killed my Touch. I had to reset then restore backup. Basically after I made the changes and rebooted it kept coming to black screen with no functionality. Has anyone had that problem? (Before that I had the SIP change installed. Could have been the problem?)
Thanks,
16th February 2008, 06:34 PM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanH

I did that and and it killed my Touch. I had to reset then restore backup. Basically after I made the changes and rebooted it kept coming to black screen with no functionality. Has anyone had that problem? (Before that I had the SIP change installed. Could have been the problem?)
Thanks,

Has anyone been able to make the registry method work on the Touch?
I've tried it twice ad both times I get a dead reboot. So I had to hard reset and restore from backup.
19th February 2008, 05:31 AM |#10  
Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:

I've tried it twice ad both times I get a dead reboot. So I had to hard reset and restore from backup.

I also get a dead reboot. Looks like OP forgot to mention something...
BTW, TouchPal's CLSID might be
{802C691C-EB46-442c-BC54-DC2C42B156C3}
19th February 2008, 06:12 AM |#11  
Flag Washington DC
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:

I use this method on my touch immediately after a hard reset and it always works. I think the instructions are pretty clear.

Are you deleting the key or just renaming it.

Also could you try backing up your phone then hard resetting and following the directions before you reinstall/restore anything. You can use Mobile Registry Editor to make the changes through Activesync.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)