FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Windows Media Player Error... Need Help!

37 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By InsertUserAlias, Member on 21st January 2008, 07:12 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I put a movie on my device (it's in .wmv format) and everytime I try to play it I get this error message:

"%1 is not a valid Win32 application"... what in the hell does that mean?? lol Anyone have any ideas?

22nd January 2008, 12:39 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 98

Donate to Me
More
You must have installed some application that changed the file associations, and then uninstalled it, but it didn't revert associations to previous ones (as it should do btw). Try going to the movie properties (tap and hold the file, choose properties) in total commander (maybe some other explorers have this feature too), go to associate tab and press the associate button. After a while a window will appear. Make sure that all input fields look like on the attached screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capture001.png
Views:	37
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	66844  
22nd January 2008, 01:02 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_deimos

You must have installed some application that changed the file associations, and then uninstalled it, but it didn't revert associations to previous ones (as it should do btw). Try going to the movie properties (tap and hold the file, choose properties) in total commander (maybe some other explorers have this feature too), go to associate tab and press the associate button. After a while a window will appear. Make sure that all input fields look like on the attached screenshot.

I installed a new ROM. I tried doing what you said but then I went into the file with Total Commander I only had a "General" tab. I have attached a screen shot of what I see. I noticed (just now) that the file is read only. Would that make a difference or is there somewhere else I could look?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TC.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	66855  
25th January 2008, 07:09 AM |#4  

More
Cool
Am having the same issue with any copyright protected media that I synchronize with my Hermes. I recently upgraded to Schaps. Any help would be appreciated.
27th January 2008, 03:53 AM |#5  
Flag Newton, N.C.

More
Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertUserAlias

I put a movie on my device (it's in .wmv format) and everytime I try to play it I get this error message:

"%1 is not a valid Win32 application"... what in the hell does that mean?? lol Anyone have any ideas?

Try in reg. editor
HKCR/WMVFile/Shell/Open/Command
Tap command, the value should read: wmplayer.exe"%1"
re-enter this value with quotation marks, tap OK on current screen, soft re-set. Follow the below screenshots. If you followed my instructions correctly, problem should be solved!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wmp1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	67528   Click image for larger version

Name:	wmp2.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	67529   Click image for larger version

Name:	wmp3.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	67530   Click image for larger version

Name:	wmp4.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	67531  
25th February 2008, 10:23 PM |#6  
Flag Sellersville, PA
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I'm getting this same error when i try to play .wmv music files. I don't have the reg entries mentioned above - I created the reg entries and still get the error.
Any more ideas?
5th March 2008, 11:07 PM |#7  
Orlando, Florida

More
Has anyone resolved this issue? I too am getting the %1 error on some but not music all files. Looks like WMP can play mp3 files but not wma files. Go figure. Any additional ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)