FORUMS

AstroGPSLauncher - Launch Tomtom/iGuidance/Other

134 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By AstronusX, Senior Member on 31st January 2008, 07:32 AM
Thread Deleted Email Thread
First I would like to say thanks to Shadowmite and Baffles for their idea of GPS Launcher. Shadowmite's GPSLauncher and Baffles' GPS Launcher are great gps launcher but aren't suite my need so I decided to write one myself.

Shadowmite's GPSLauncher is nice and compact but more work, I need to launch the application and click the 'Tomtom' to launch it (2 step). I like Baffles' idea when click on it and launch immediately but unfortunately it use .NET use lot of RAM.

I have issue on both application for tomtom is that when turn off the screen or someone call in, gps connection get lost and re-click it to open up the gps port for tomtom.

This AstroGPSLauncher open the gps port and launch 'gps application'. AstroGPSLauncher will close itself upon 'gps application' exit in which won't have issue when someone call in or turn off the phone.

iGuidance has issue with refresh the screen. To get iGuidance work correctly you need to get GPS Gate to redirect com 4 to com 2 and use this launcher to launch iGuidanceQVGA.exe, on iGuidance set to com 2. This way won't have map refresh issue.

--How to use this AstroGPSLauncher ---
--Copy AstroGPSLauncher to your Main Memory
\AstroGPSLauncher\AstroGPSLauncher.exe
(YOu can copy AstroGPSLauncher to SD Card but you need to change the path inside the shortcut if you use)

This launcher launch gps application through parameter(if you know what I meant) . I have provide two shortcuts 'Tomtom Launcher' which and 'iGuidance Launcher' for your need(Make sure you install tomtom app or iGuidance to main memory which you should). If you install on different location, you need to use notepad and edit the shortcut to correct gps application and icon or you can use 'SK Shortcut Manager' to create a short that point to your launcher.

SK Shortcut Manager - New Short cut Instruction
Name = you provide
Command = select AstroGPSLauncher
Parameters = select your gps application
and set icon to your gps application.

BTW, this application only take 2k of RAM (very small) and 10k for disk memory. It much less memory usage than Shadowmite's GPSLauncher and Baffles' GPS Launcher

If you like this application, please give some comments.

Thanks to shadowmite cab the file.
Attached Files
File Type: cab AstroGPSLauncher.cab - [Click for QR Code] (11.6 KB, 11461 views)
31st January 2008, 07:33 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

More
For people have problem to get AstroGPSLauncer to work
Please use 'SK Shortcut Manager to create a shortcut for you and simplify your process

Sk Shortcut Manager can be download here http://handheld.softpedia.com/get/Sy...er-18241.shtml

[SK Shortcut Manager]
Create new Shortcut
Name = you provide
Command = select AstroGPSLauncher
Parameters = select your gps application
and set icon to your gps application.

YOu can uninstall SK Shortcut Manager after done create a shortcut for your GPS

If you use iGuidance, you can use TalynOne 'iGuidanceInternalGPSLauncher.mscr', with GPSGate to get one step launch solution
Read this thread for more detail.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=363431
31st January 2008, 07:51 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Awesome! Thanks AstronusX, will be testing this soon. I updated my FAQ with info about your app.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=363431

Edit: Just tested it, I first had to change the IGuidance shortcut to point to my storage card, as you described. I tested both TomTom and IGuidance and they work as advertised. I also tested running TomTom, turning off my Mogul, waiting 30 seconds, and turning it back on, and TomTom reacquired the GPS within 10 seconds. Awesome, thanks again AstronusX!
31st January 2008, 06:59 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Works perfect with iGuidance.

Thanks!
31st January 2008, 08:07 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 161

More
What are the chances of adding auto-launch/auto-kill of GPSGate to this app? That would be the end-all-be-all launcher for iGuidance.
31st January 2008, 10:06 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
I created an iGuidance one tap autolauncher. If GpsGate is not running, it starts it. The script then stores your device's current Power timeout, and backlight timeout and brightness settings. Then sets your device for no timeouts for power and backlight, and sets your backlight to maximum brightness. It then sets iGuidance to skip the startup warning dialog, before launching iGuidance through AstroGPSLauncher. Once you exit iGuidance the script will restore your previous backlight/power settings. The only thing not working in the script right now is that it doesn't terminate GpsGate on exit if the script started GpsGate. I have not found a reliable way to close GpsGate. All current methods I've tried of closing/terminating GpsGate leave an unresponsive icon in the tray of the Today screen.

For those who are interested, I've made a copy of this script available for download HERE. Instructions on how to install/use the script are in the included "iGuidanceInternalGPSLauncher.mscr" Mortscript file.
31st January 2008, 11:54 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Working quite well with iGo 2006
2nd February 2008, 02:33 AM |#8  

More
Nice job, working well with TomTom.
2nd February 2008, 03:24 AM |#9  
Flag Brooklyn, NY

More
can we just dumb this down to my level for a sec lol...for my iguidance...

iGuidance has issue with refresh the screen. To get iGuidance work correctly you need to get GPS Gate to redirect com 4 to com 2 and use this launcher to launch iGuidanceQVGA.exe, on iGuidance set to com 2. This way won't have map refresh issue.

huh? i installed astrogpslauncher and changed the shortcut to open my iguidance on my sd card...it all opens, but whats with the redirect port? how would i do this? thanks! this is gonna make me sooooooooooo happy
2nd February 2008, 05:15 AM |#10  
Flag Washington D.C.
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Is there a way we can add run this launcher from the HTC home ? How would I get this launcher into the program shortcuts? thanks
2nd February 2008, 05:45 AM |#11  
Flag Hamilton,Ont
Thanks Meter: 1,571

Donate to Me
More
Exclamation help
ok i have igo instlled on main memory can some one plz tell me what to edit the shortcut to? and were do i put the gps launcher and shortcut plz?
Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread