FORUMS

ROM Chefs: SDAutoRun gives customziation to everybody!

3,551 posts
Thanks Meter: 39

By Sleuth255, Retired Senior Moderator on 6th February 2008, 07:58 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
User Customization is a config.txt file that's located on an SD card which can install cab & xml files located there too! Think about it: this gives anyone who loads your rom the ability to automatically install their preferred apps/settings as part of customization. Here's how to make your next ROM UC capable:
  • Cook the attached SDAutoRun.exe into \windows
  • if AutoRun.exe isn't already in \windows then place a copy there too. Note: some devices don't have a compatible AutoRun.exe. If you have issues, try the attached version.
  • Replace the "RST: Reset" line in config.txt with "EXEC:\windows\SDAutoRun.exe"

That's it! SDAutoRun will do the final reset unless it encounters a file called SDConfig.txt in the root directory of the storage card. If it sees this file, it will restart autorun and install cabs/configure settings from SDConfig.txt which can point to files that are also located on the SD card.

What's important is this: If every chef uses this system then ROM junkies will be able to freely move between ROMs. If you decide to include this in your next cooked ROM, then make sure you indicate that it's UC capable. I'd really like to make this a standard because it will greatly ease the time consuming task of re-installing apps/settings.

UC v2.0 is now Live!

Changelog
  • Works with non-WWE ROMs & Internal Storage Roms. SDAutoRun uses the registry to determine the default name for the Storage Card now. For newer devices, this key might be missing altogether so just cook it in. The "Folder" value points to the actual location that contains sdconfig.txt. Here's the key:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\Profiles\ SDMemory]
    "Folder"="Storage Card"
  • Automatically corrects SDConfig.txt formatting errors. Extra/missing tabs, spaces, newline characters etc are corrected before passing to autorun.exe.
  • New string value "SDAutoRunVersion" created in HKLM\comm contains "2.0". This will help debug SDConfig.txt file issues in the user thread.

SDAutorun v2.0 is fully compatible with all SDConfig.txt files created to date. Additionally, there now shouldn't be a config file users can throw at it that it won't re-format to the following template:
  • Commands will be left justified into the first 5 characters and space filled
  • Parameters will be left justified to the 6th character and trailing whitespace will be removed
  • Lines that don't contain a command will not be passed to autorun. Note: To determine validity, I only check for a ":" in postion 4 or 5 here to allow for future command expansion.
  • if no valid commands are encountered, then a file containing only "RST: Reset" will be created

Assumptions
  • SDAutoRun is not signed so security must be relaxed in HKLM\Security\Policies\Polices by setting the value 0000101a to a 1.
  • SDConfig.txt cannot be Unicode.

Here's a link to the User's side of ROM customization:

ROM Flashing Junkies: User Customization is here!

If you build a UC capable ROM, be sure to link to the above thread. Also shoot me a PM and I'll add your ROM to the UC capable list.

The key here is that UC is an automated, unattended configuration. Setting it up is done out of the Hard Reset window and once its on your SD card, it works any time you hard reset. Automated is good because it allows mass customization from a business standpoint too. Any business using a UC capable ROM can set up a single "ROM customization" SD card then give it to their IT staff for the daily provisioning of company software/branding on new devices. Your UC capable ROMs have business appeal now!

We are also working on tools that will simplify the XML/SDConfig.txt file creation process. Several good ones have already surfaced in the Users thread.

Useful Stuff
Attached Files
File Type: zip autorun.zip - [Click for QR Code] (36.8 KB, 6252 views)
File Type: zip SDAutoRunv2.0.zip - [Click for QR Code] (8.6 KB, 7112 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Sleuth255 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Sleuth255 Ad-Free
6th February 2008, 08:33 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 318

Donate to Me
More
I think this is/will be a great standard! Well done Sleuth for initiating this.
6th February 2008, 09:31 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Genius idea.
7th February 2008, 03:26 PM |#4  
OP Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Milwaukee

More
Good news: doedoe is looking at building a provisioning tool! Now we have two developers working on this. We can sure use more help though. See the user thread for more info!
7th February 2008, 07:56 PM |#5  
Flag Casablanca
Thanks Meter: 262

Donate to Me
More
Good But What S About Cab Wich Prompt For Choosing Languages Or Some Parameters To Be Installed ?
7th February 2008, 10:58 PM |#6  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,154

Donate to Me
More
UC
Very nice.

For flashing junkies it's necassary yes, after each flash all your favorit apps auto installed is awsom, nice one Sleuth
8th February 2008, 05:10 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
a request
can someone make it for all devices/ for example wizard? that will be awesome
8th February 2008, 09:33 AM |#8  
Inactive Recognized Developer / Moderator Emeritus
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 148

Donate to Me
More
Hehe many many thanks.

I tried to get this working with the standard AutoRun from SD but i couln't get it working.

Screw Extended Rom completly.

Great Work.

Making A bookmark.
8th February 2008, 03:06 PM |#9  
Flag Milwaukee

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by character

can someone make it for all devices/ for example wizard? that will be awesome

ROM chefs should be able to use UC on any ROM. Post a link on your favorite ROM Chef's thread if you want to see UC.
8th February 2008, 03:07 PM |#10  
Flag Milwaukee

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETOUF

Good But What S About Cab Wich Prompt For Choosing Languages Or Some Parameters To Be Installed ?

Those will need to be researched by the community. Post findings in the user thread (see page 1 for the link)
8th February 2008, 03:09 PM |#11  
Flag Sheffield
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Awesome application.. so simple I'm amazed it took this long for someone to think of it!

I've cooked it into my ROM.. but I haven't released it so it cant really count as a UC compliant ROM..

It's definitely useful though and I'd love to see others using it. Thanks Sleuth
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
rom flashing junkies, user customization

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)