Thanks Meter: 7,024

By biktor_gj, Senior Member on 12th February 2008, 02:09 AM
Thread Deleted Email Thread
23rd February 2008, 11:07 AM |#41  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
I booted GPE with the previous version of the kernel (the one I took from linwizard-0.1.0 tar file). Unfortunately, it doesn't work with the new kernel (think it's a problem with the frame buffer), but I'm working on it. When I get it back to work I will post file + instructions!

23rd February 2008, 11:39 AM |#42  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Maybe this is a really stupid question,

but when i run the linux kernel with gpe can i use the phone functions still? I mean can i still call and send text messages? And whats the advantage about using a Linux kernel and not just staying with the nice WM?

grts cpt. Bert

sorry for bad englisch
23rd February 2008, 12:54 PM |#43  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi,
could anybody help what am I doing wrong? After login: "root" and password "enter" there is response "login incorrect". The same on both old and new Kernel.
Thanks for reply.
23rd February 2008, 02:13 PM |#44  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
@Usak: The login details are:
username: root
password: root

@cpt.bert
GSM functions are not available now. There's no audio support even, so even if you could make a call, you wouldn't hear anything. By now, only the screen, part of the keyboard, mmc, and some little things are working, but you can't use it as a phone.
The purpose of porting linux is to replace windows mobile (wich is slow, closed source, and cannot be too modified -you can cook roms, ok, but that's not comparable to make your own operating system and make it behave the way you want, or better said, the way it should-)

We are on a very first stage for this, and there's a long way to go, please be patient.

By the way, I was wondering if we should start making a wiki page for this, and get it updated with the information we have about the device, links to the files, and start putting things on the xda-devel ftp... what do you think?

PS: Still working on the gpe thing! definitely seems a problem with the framebuffer...
23rd February 2008, 06:49 PM |#45  

More
@biktor

Many thanks, it works!! The only problem is, we cannot get into graphic environment.
Can you help again??
23rd February 2008, 08:34 PM |#46  

More
usakc !!! , read a answer from biktor !!!! he said he will write here in a days, how to do that
25th February 2008, 04:10 PM |#47  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up
OK, I have a new kernel build for you!

This theorically fixes the frame buffer issue (everything wich wasn't text appeared corrupt on the screen).

Download: http://rapidshare.com/files/94816162/zImage.tar.gz.html
Overwrite the zImage from the Linux test Image I uploaded some days ago with this file, and when you boot, you should see that little penguin called Tux

This kernel build has also some other settings enabled:
Omap RTC Clock
OMAP 1 Wire bus
I2C
And lots of other supposedly working drivers (I've been tweaking this thing for hours)
Anyway, lights still don't come up when I ask them to do it, so don't expect too much apart from the framebuffer.

About the GPE Image you've been asking: It's useless for now, as you cannot move between tabs, and it's not even compiled for this, but as you wanted to see it by yourself...

NOTICE: YOU CAN REALLY BREAK A LOT OF THINGS IF YOU DO THIS WRONG.
I'm not responsible for your mess, you're warned. All the data on your SD will be erased, so make a backup. This is a little bit tricky, and if you do it wrong, you could get to break your PC. The instructions posted here are generic, be careful, and use your common sense. Don't blame me if you screw it up!

To follow these instructions you will need:
*WM5Storage installed on the phone

*Windows XP (you can use another windows version, but you may have problems I didn't have to face -you shouldn't anyway-)

*Linux distribution (installed on the hard drive or booted from livesystem cd)

*The linux test image I uploaded some posts ago:
http://rapidshare.com/files/93938763/test.zip.html
*The new kernel image:
http://rapidshare.com/files/94816162/zImage.tar.gz.html
*A bootable GPE Image (for example this):
http://www.angstrom-distribution.org....rootfs.tar.gz
Once you have this, you can start.

1. From Windows
Connect your phone through USB to the computer, and launch WM5Storage
Disable: Read-Only, Removable Class and Lock card on attach only. Hit activate.
Windows will show the phone as an external hard drive.
Go to Control Panel --> Administrative tools --> Computer Management
When the window opens, click on Disk Management.
There, look for your SD card and DELETE the partition. Then Create a new primary partition, leaving at least 200Mb free for another partition on the end (In my 1Gb SD card for example, I left 700Mb on the primary partition, and 300Mb for the linux partition)

When you're finished creating that first partition, copy the contents of the Test linux image onto that new partition, then overwrite the file called zImage with the new one. Now you have the updated linux test image.

Now, boot linux on the PC. Don't disconnect the phone, or do anything with it yet.
Open a terminal and run (as root)
fdisk /dev/sdX (where X is the letter of your memorycard)
Create a new linux partition (press 'N', enter, then 'P', enter, '2', enter, enter, enter). When you finish press 'P' <enter>.
you shold be seeing the two partitions on the SD, the first will be FAT, the second will be Linux Ext2. Assuming you've done it right, you can press W <enter> to save changes.

Now, reboot the phone. When it comes back to life, open WM5Storage again, and, on the terminal write:
mkfs /dev/sdX2 (where X is the letter of your memorycard)

When you finish with this you are almost finished!

Mount the second partition to a folder (for example /mnt/voxpart2)

Uncompress the image file:
tar -xzf Angstrom-minimalist-gpe-image-glibc-ipk-2007.12-h2200.rootfs.tar.gz

Then copy the contents of the Angstrom minimalistic image to the mountpoint of your second partition. (something like "cp -rf * /mnt/voxpart2 on the folder where you decompressed the file, following the example)

When you're done, open the default.txt file on the first partition on the SD.
Replace the contents of the file with this:

set MTYPE 6666
set RAMADDR 0x10000000
set RAMSIZE 0x02000000
set CMDLINE "root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 noinitrd"
set KERNEL zImage
bootlinux

Save the file, umount all the filesystems from the SD, disable wm5Storage and run HaRET. Hit Run, and you should start booting GPE with the new kernel.

If you want to boot back to windows mobile simply pull the sim card cover out, it will shut down.
If you want to boot back to the ramdisk image (cc.ext2), undo the changes you've done to default.txt

Note this is almost useless, and that you won't be even able to run a terminal from the graphic environment, this is just for you to see it really does the job

Regards!

PS: oops... what a big post...
27th February 2008, 10:09 PM |#48  
Flag Groningen
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Some usefull bits:

Some extra OMAP850 clock speeds (taken from OMAPClock, they go in {kernel_source_root}/arch/arm/mach-omap1/Kconfig):
Code:
config OMAP_ARM_60MHZ
	bool "OMAP ARM 60MHz CPU clockspeed"
	depends on ARCH_OMAP1 && ARCH_OMAP850
	help
	  Enable 60MHz clock speed for OMAP850. Lowest possible clock.

config OMAP_ARM_80MHZ
	bool "OMAP ARM 80MHz CPU clockspeed"
	help
	  Enable 80MHz clock speed for OMAP850. If unsure, say N.

config OMAP_ARM_100MHZ
	bool "OMAP ARM 100MHz CPU clockspeed"
	help
	  Enable 100MHz clock speed for OMAP850. If unsure, say N.

config OMAP_ARM_120MHZ
	bool "OMAP ARM 120MHz CPU clockspeed"
	help
	  Enable 120MHz clock speed for OMAP850. If unsure, say N.

config OMAP_ARM_144MHZ
	bool "OMAP ARM 144MHz CPU clockspeed"
	help
	  Enable 144MHz clock speed for OMAP850. If unsure, say N.

config OMAP_ARM_168MHZ
	bool "OMAP ARM 168MHz CPU clockspeed"
	help
	  Enable 168MHz clock speed for OMAP850. If unsure, say N.

config OMAP_ARM_186MHZ
	bool "OMAP ARM 186MHz CPU clockspeed"
	help
	  Enable 186MHz clock speed for OMAP850. If unsure, say N.

config OMAP_ARM_192MHZ
	bool "OMAP ARM 192MHz CPU clockspeed"
	help
	  Enable 192MHz clock speed for OMAP850. If unsure, say N.

config OMAP_ARM_204MHZ
	bool "OMAP ARM 204MHz CPU clockspeed"
	help
	  Enable 204MHz clock speed for OMAP850. If unsure, say N.

config OMAP_ARM_216MHZ
	bool "OMAP ARM 216MHz CPU clockspeed"
	help
	  Enable 216MHz clock speed for OMAP850. If unsure, say N.

config OMAP_ARM_216MHZ
	bool "OMAP ARM 216MHz CPU clockspeed"
	help
	  Enable 216MHz clock speed for OMAP850. If unsure, say N.

config OMAP_ARM_228MHZ
	bool "OMAP ARM 228MHz CPU clockspeed"
	help
	  Enable 228MHz clock speed for OMAP850. If unsure, say N.

config OMAP_ARM_240MHZ
	bool "OMAP ARM 240MHz CPU clockspeed"
	help
	  Enable 240MHz clock speed for OMAP850. If unsure, say N.
28th February 2008, 09:16 AM |#49  

More
Thumbs up
Hi all,

I've just stumbled upon this thread and tried the newest posted zImage and ramdisk (not gpe yet) and it works great so far ;). I'd be interested in helping out too, I don't know a lot about the kernel but have been tinkering with ramdisks and custom made kernels before. I could also contribute a little to a wiki...

Have you decided yet where to host a wiki and the files? Could you do it like xanadux here on xda-dev?

Keep up the great work and thanks for your efforts!

Greetings, Lukas Wolf
28th February 2008, 04:00 PM |#50  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
@Steffan
You scared me with that! I'll try to merge it into the kernel this weekend!
One thing, do you think Omapclock does really change the cpu clock? Been thinking about it for a while and I'm not too sure that it does what it say it does... Maybe I'm thinking too much, but the idea of windows not getting stucked when I change the cpu freq on the fly above the specifications given by TI...

@lukas
Welcome!
About the wiki, I'm still thinking about it... Of course it will be more accesible here, but maybe Google gives a better service...

@all
I've been tweaking a bit the tornado keyboard driver, and I found the guy who did it got to work the direction keys handling them in a completely different way than the standard omap keyboard, but I`m not getting it still. When I have some results I'll get back!
28th February 2008, 07:26 PM |#51  

More
Regarding the clock speed, I've tested all settings from 80Mhz to 264Mhz and it definitly makes a big differance. I'm just no sure if it's safe to run it that high for a longer period, but as it's dimmed (set it to 186) or sleeping (80Mhz) most of the time I guess it's ok.

Update: I've just now realized that I get some minor screen errors with 264Mhz, 240 seems to run fine though. On the other end, 80 is working fine but 60Mzh crashed immediatly.

L
Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread