FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Full WM6 or 6.1 on Shift

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By hbendavid, Junior Member on 20th February 2008, 09:51 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Everyone,

This is one of my first posts. I have been reading the threads on this and cannot make heads or tails of what's going on. I have a Shift for eval purposes and after playing around with it, I think it's a pretty amazing device. HTC has crippled the phone capability in the US versions because they haven't certified it for voice use with the FCC yet. If we can access "file explorer" and some of the other features of WM6, I think a lot can be done to modify it or even to use it for voice. Has anybody made any headway as far as a new ROM that enables all of this functionality?

22nd February 2008, 10:11 AM |#2  

More
No
nobody has yet developed the crack. The reason is because nobody has the machine yet. Can u comment a bit about the battery life. Is it very disappointing?
4th March 2008, 10:16 PM |#3  

More
well, now that several people actually have the device in-hand, could somebody please confirm that the ability to expose full WM6 exists as described by Pawel062:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawel062

hmm dont really understand the last part about snapvue. the snapvue for athena is snapvue from shift with a small mod to re enable the softkeys and start menu. it will work on shift and also re enable the soft keys and start menu making the shift's wm6 "Full" again

This is the only thing holding me back from ordering one myself!
4th March 2008, 10:30 PM |#4  
Flag Enschede
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

This is the only thing holding me back from ordering one myself!

Me too!

So Any luck running/installing any other programs on SnapVue?

greetz,

Pfeffa-rah
5th March 2008, 09:34 AM |#5  
Flag HONOLULU

More
what about athena projects rom? that rom is actually from shift right?
6th March 2008, 07:59 PM |#6  

More
snapvue is actually a today plugin pretty much. it hides the soft keys and start menu of the original wm6. then from the plugin u have access to messaging, settings, and other basic stuff.

this is ment so u use vista but with only 2hrs max battery on vista many people would like to use the less power hungry wm6. i am working with paul from modaco.com on re enabling the full wm6 by putting a modded dll that will unhide the start menu. after that ull be able to get into file explorer and get a reg editor to re enable the soft keys.

heres the challlenge:
--no usb port like regular htc phones to sync the shift and get the dll on their. only usb host
--no bluetooth in snapvue/wm6 side
--no wifi in snapvue/wm6 side
--no ir in wm6 side
--vista device central doesnt see the wm6 side
--cant save files from email to windows folder
and i cant remember now the other blockades. i will continue working on it though.
6th March 2008, 08:37 PM |#7  

More
Seems like that there is some kind of file transfer, it uses it when you install a certificate in shift control center, but how to crack it open or replicate the process for other files, and then execute the file on snapvue site ....

Think its time for a "taskforce thred" where all info is posted so everyone can work on it.
6th March 2008, 10:48 PM |#8  
Flag Enschede

More
Sounds a lot more difficult then I first imagined....
(No BT??? OMG! had no idea!)

Sounds like I have to be a bit more patient...
This doesnot sound like it´s gonna be solved in a couple of days....

It´s great that you´re workin on it guys!

greetz,

Pfeffa-rah
6th March 2008, 11:12 PM |#9  

More
thanks Pawel062, I appreciate your efforts in trying to find a way to get this to work!
7th March 2008, 10:51 AM |#10  

More
Just saw if you edit a contact and then try to attach a picture, you can browse the WM6 folders.
Unfortunately you can only see the pictures, because it's using the picture manager from HTC..
7th March 2008, 06:59 PM |#11  
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 74

Donate to Me
More
Silly thought: The miniUSB connector on the dongle formally is only meant to provide additional power to devices that otherwise would not be detected (External Harddrives etc). Would it be a silly thought to assume that the same miniUSB port could somehow allow us to access the SnapVue part? The miniUSB port is located at the back next to the cable leading back to the Shift.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)