FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Full Instructions for getting WM6, RealVGA, Office and IE

26 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By [email protected], Junior Member on 15th March 2008, 08:53 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have written out a full set of instructions for getting WM6, RealVGA, IE and Office on a Shift, which I have tested out today.

All the required files except the Office cab, which I can't seem to upload, are here.

Instructions.txt is the complete set of instructions, for convenience.

An office cab can be found at http://rapidshare.com/files/94010776...office2007.CAB

Be careful with the RealVGA bit if you haven't got an English machine - I have so I couldn't test this bit - I inferred the solution from one of Daniel's posts.

1. Reset SnapVue if you have been hacking it.
- Run Clearstorage.exe (or Settings, Clear Storage)
- Disable Wi-Fi in Vista (Communication Manager)
- Enable Modem

2. Get Access to WM6
- In SnapVue, click Outlook E-mail
- Click Menu,New
- Click Menu,New,Insert Picture
- Where it says "My Pictures", click and navigate to "Windows" directory
- Highlight (using arrow keys) the "Start Menu" directory and copy it (using ctrl-c)
- Navigate into "Settings" directory in "Windows" and paste (ctrl-v). Ignore the calendar error.
- Click Ok and go back to SnapVue.
- Click Settings button and then "Start Menu, Programs, Internet Sharing"
- Click "Connect". The screen will say "Check USB cable.". Switch over to Vista and make sure that you have a network connection.
- Switch back to snapvue and click disconnect.
- Switch back to Vista and open Windows Explorer. From the "Computer" level, keep pressing F5 until you see Pocket_PC.
- Using "Tools, Folder Options" (alt T,O), click on the View tab and make sure that "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" is NOT enabled.
- Copy "RegistryEditor.exe" to "Pocket_PC,"\" directory.
- Still on Vista side, Using "Communication Manager", Click "Advanced Settings" and then "Reset Snapvue". Click OK.
- Switch to snapvue and wait for it to start up. If you miss the warning to allow running "RegistryEditor.exe", don't worry - click setting, Start Menu, Programs, File Explorer, then navigate to Windows, StartUp and run it from there.
- In RegistryEditor.exe, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, Services. Delete the "SnapVue" entry. Click and hold the "SnapVue" entry until the context-sensitive menu appears, then select delete.
- Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Cabfile\Shell\Open\command and change the default value to wceload.exe "%1" /nodelete - there is a space after the .exe and before the /nodelete here
- Close RegistryEditor.exe.
- In File Explorer, delete the PKG.exe and BlockTitleBar.exe files from the Windows\StartUp directory.
- Switch back to Vista and reset snapvue from Communications Manager's Advanced Settings.
- Switch back to SnapVue. When it has finished starting up and you have closed RegistryEditor, you will notice that you have the start menu at the top left of the screen.
- Tidy up - reset and delete "Start Menu" from the "Windows, Settings" directory

Pat yourself on the back! You have successfully converted the HTC shift's SnapVue to WM6.

2a. Enable all the hidden "Today" items
- Switch to WM6
- Click "Start Menu (icon at top left of screen), Programs, Internet Sharing"
- Click "Connect". The screen will say "Check USB cable.". Switch over to Vista and make sure that you have a network connection.
If not - go to Vista Connection Manager and stop and start the modem.
- go back to snapview disconnect and then connect again
- switch back to Vista
- Switch back to Vista and open Windows Explorer. From the "Computer" level, keep pressing F5 until you see Pocket_PC.

- In Vista, install and run ceregedit_setup.exe
- Press F1 to connect to WM6
- Use Tools, Unlock Registry to enable the import
- Use Edit, Import to import "today.reg". Ignore any errors.
- Close ceregedit
- Switch to WM6
- In "Start Menu, Settings, Today, Items", pick the today items you want to display.

3. Change the display resolution to 96 dpi
A word of warning - this version of RealVGA is English and does not work very well with non-English systems.
- If you have a non-English version of the Shift, then you will not have a directory called \Windows\StartUp. Before doing the rest of this section, you should create a "StartUp" directory in your Windows directory and copy all of the files from your language equivalent of StartUp.

- Switch to WM6
- switch back to Vista
- Copy "RealVGA_11.CAB" and "ResPack96dpi.ARM.CAB" to "Pocket_PC,"\" directory.
- Switch over to WM6
- From File Explorer (Start Menu, Programs, File Explorer), navigate to the top directory (using Up button as necessary)
- Install RealVGA_11.CAB accepting the security warning
- Install ResPack96dpi.ARM.CAB accepting the security warning and select ok to restart the system
- Run RealVGA from Start Menu, Programs
- Change to 96dpi and press OK and wait while the system restarts
- Tidy up - Using "Start Menu, Settings, System, Remove Programs" remove WM6_RealVGA (its job is done)
- In File Explorer, delete the 2 CAB files.

Pat yourself on the back again! You have successfully made HTC shift's WM6 much more usable.

4. Install Office 6.1
- Switch to WM6
- switch back to Vista
- Copy "office2007.CAB" to "Pocket_PC,"\" directory.
- Switch over to WM6
- From File Explorer (Start Menu, Programs, File Explorer), navigate to the top directory (using Up button as necessary)
- Install office2007.CAB accepting the security warning
- Wait - this is a relatively big install.
- When told to, click OK to restart
- Tidy Up - Start Excel Mobile from "Start Menu, Programs, Office Mobile" and delete all 3 workbooks.
- Start Word Mobile and delete any templates you do not want. You MUST leave one of them (Word Document .docx is the default so you must not delete this until you have changed Word options)
- In File Manager, delete the CAB file.

5. Install Internet Explorer
- Switch to WM6
- switch back to Vista
- Copy the "ie61" directory to the "Pocket_PC,"\","Windows" directory.
- Switch to WM6
- Start File Explorer
- Navigate to Windows, ie61
- Install Certs.cab and then delete the cab file
- Copy all the other files up to the Windows directory - some files cannot be copied. This doesn't seem to be a problem.
- Restart WM6
- Test IE
- Tidy Up - delete the ie61 directory from Windows directory.

That's it! Congratulate yourself on a job well done.

If you've done all the above, you should have 21.43Mb free storage.
Attached Files
File Type: zip RegistryEditor.zip - [Click for QR Code] (29.0 KB, 2998 views)
File Type: zip RealVGA.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.90 MB, 5011 views)
File Type: zip ie61.zip - [Click for QR Code] (701.0 KB, 2738 views)
File Type: zip TodayRegistration.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.39 MB, 2585 views)
File Type: txt Instructions.txt - [Click for QR Code] (7.6 KB, 2583 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift [email protected] Ad-Free

15th March 2008, 10:26 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Big thanks to Tito for putting this together in a coherent manner, and for all those who have benefited from this info, there is plenty more to come.

Once the Shift Project receive enough donations to purchase a Shift to work on, we are looking at getting access to the SD card, GPS, Custom ROMs and more.

If we have helped you already, a few dollars donation from you would go a long way.

See this thread to donate, and for a running total so far.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=376111
15th March 2008, 11:05 PM |#3  

More
Typo removed....
16th March 2008, 12:38 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thumbs up
Hey Tito great work. One small comment, another solution to the accessing device through Vista is to use the USBTool (detailed in the main Full WM6 or 6.1 on Shift thread). I only say this as I and some others have commented how unstable the Internet Sharing solution can be. So far with USBTool I have had no issues. Best use (cost wise from data package) is to use Internet Sharing first time to copy USBTool over then use that. Only comment to an otherwise top notch walkthrough. Thanks for taking the time to structure it correctly.
16th March 2008, 01:11 AM |#5  

More
Great job! My compliments about this easy newbie tutorial.
16th March 2008, 07:11 AM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantaloonie

NOTE - There is a typo in the above write up, in the Get Access to WM6 section. The line
Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Cabfile\Shell\Open\command and change the default value to wceload.exe ''%''1 /nodelete
should read
Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Cabfile\Shell\Open\command and change the default value to wceload.exe "%1" /nodelete

Thanks Pantaloonie - I've changed the original post and the instructions.
16th March 2008, 07:13 AM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vs1979

Hey Tito great work. One small comment, another solution to the accessing device through Vista is to use the USBTool (detailed in the main Full WM6 or 6.1 on Shift thread). I only say this as I and some others have commented how unstable the Internet Sharing solution can be. So far with USBTool I have had no issues. Best use (cost wise from data package) is to use Internet Sharing first time to copy USBTool over then use that. Only comment to an otherwise top notch walkthrough. Thanks for taking the time to structure it correctly.

I tried USBTool but I couldn't get it to do anything - I'll try it again and update the post when I've worked it out.
16th March 2008, 02:10 PM |#8  
Flag Ipolyszakállos

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]

I tried USBTool but I couldn't get it to do anything - I'll try it again and update the post when I've worked it out.

Hi Tito,
Thanks a lot for this post. Pls try to help me.I have aproblem with Win Explorer. I am not able to find Pocket_PC directory. Pls help me how can I find it. I did not undderstand abou F5 pressing. It is nott working me.
Thax. NA
16th March 2008, 02:15 PM |#9  

More
To get usbtool.exe to work -

Download the attached file, unzip it, and get it into the windows folder on the WinMo side. This may involve removing the .exe extension so you can email it to yourself, then putting the .exe back when you save it into windows.

Then, on WinMo. browse to the windows folder and run usbtool.exe.
You get a white screen with the message "Please plug in cable first".
Click on menu and select 'usb cable in'.
Then go back to Vista and wait for up to one minute.
You should hear the connecting noise, and Windows Mobile Device Centre will connect. You can then sync Vista with WinMo. You should also be able to find WinMo under My Computer, as a mobile device.
Disconnect by going back to WinMo usbtool screen, and select 'usb cable out'.
Attached Files
File Type: zip USBTool.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.2 KB, 1895 views)
16th March 2008, 05:48 PM |#10  
Flag Brussels
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Question Cannot click "Connect" ??
Hi,

I am trying to follow the instruction:

"- Click "Connect". The screen will say "Check USB cable.". Switch over to Vista and make sure that you have a network connection."

BUT - the Connect button is greyed out, because I have no network connection on the WM side.
How do I create one ? Do I need to have a UMTS sim card to do this ? I don't get it... :((.
Please give me a hint !
16th March 2008, 06:01 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbi

Hi,

I am trying to follow the instruction:

"- Click "Connect". The screen will say "Check USB cable.". Switch over to Vista and make sure that you have a network connection."

BUT - the connection button is greyed out, because I have no network connection on the WM side.
How do I create one ? Do I need to have a UMTS sim card to do this ? I don't get it... :((.
Please give me a hint !

I'd suggest you forget the internet sharing method, and use the usbtool.exe method intead, it's pretty much foolproof.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)