FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

SHIFT FAQ

45 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By pusler, Member on 25th March 2008, 11:46 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Thanks to all of the original posters of all the solutions/answers found in this FAQ.

Since we have answered the same questions lots of times I made this little FAQ, that I will continue to update when needed. (remember search is still your friend)

RESTORE/RECOVER:
Q: How do I recover Vista, from the recovery partition ?
A: When booting vista press F3 (fn + 3) and follow instructions on screen. (ALL DATA WILL BE LOST)

Q: How do I hard reset the WM part if it gets corrupted ?
A: If you can still run apps. in WM run the clearstorage.exe, otherwise take a look of this thread (ALL DATA WILL BE LOST)

FEATURES:
Q: Can I install a full windows mobile instead of snapvue ?
A: Most of it is already there, it just needs to be unlocked, see this thread for info

Q: Can Shift make a phone call ?
A: No shift can't make a phone call out of the box, but there is a good chance that it will be able to using custom ROM's (you will need to hack your SHIFT to do it)
It is possible to use voice software client in vista to do it (Skype, VoIP client etc.)

Q: Will the shift output WM/snapwue on the VGA port ?
A: no when using she shift with an external monitor it outputs vista on the external monitor and wm on the internal, so no luck (i think it's a nice feature to work vith vista and wm at the same time)

HARDWARE:
Q: Can I upgrade the shift to 2GB RAM ?
A: We haven't found a microdimm with the correct connector yet (if you know any please provide info) more info here

Q: Can I upgrade the shift's hard drive ?
A: Yes but there isn’t a perfect solution yet, there is either a larger 5mm disk, that only gives 20GB more.
The other option is to go for a 8mm disk, but there are minor space issues.
For more info read this thread

Q: Can I use Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, SD card within snapvue or windows mobile ?
A: For the time being you can't access that hardware from the WM side, but again there is a good possibility, that a custom ROM will remove those limitations.

Q: Does the Shift have a GPS module ?
A: Yes the shift have a build in GPS chip, but since we don't have any drivers for it yet, we are not sure if antenna etc. are there. (on the prototype units it was working so there is a good chance it will work on production models to)
NOTE: After i opened up my shift i can confirm the GPS antenna is there !!

Q: Does the shift support the SDHC Memory Cards
A: Yes they are supported. (1 user had problems using Sandisk 8GB) I'm using a memory2go 16GB SDHC, and alot of users didn't have any problems.

Q: My USB CD drive doesn't work, what is wrong ?
A: The shift USB port doesn't have that much juice in it, so connect external power to the usbhub, using miniusb plug or put external power on the drive. more info here

Q: What is the native resolution on the display ?
A: Then native resolution is 800 x 480, but there is a quick button to "instant" switch to 1024 x 600, and it works quiet well.

SOFTWARE:
Q: Can I install windows XP on my Shift ?
A: you can, but allot of things won't work since HTC are unwilling to release drivers (they won't even release them for Vista)
The update is that some of the dedicated people on this forum have managed to put a driver suite together for Window XP look at this thread for more info.

Q: Can I remove the hidden Vista recovery partition to get more space on my drive ?
A: Yes ! if you know what you are doing, they are using HPA (Host Protected Area) to hide the vista recovery partition.
You can restore your HDD to its native maximum capacity in Linux using setmax

Q: Can I access WM from the Vista side ?
A: using the usbtool found in this thread
you are able to connect the WM side to Vista as it was a normal phone.

Q: Will Vista SP1 run on my shift ?
A: Yes, and your shift will perform better (some people have had some issues with the new Intel vga driver from windows update though)
and the "USBtool" disconnecting all the time.

Q: what is Origami, and is it any good ?
you can read about it here , and I think this quote from another thread says it well:
I played with Origami for 5 min, then disabled it. Haven't run it since. It seemed slow and clunky, and does nothing that Vista can't do better.
PS: The browser is pretty cool with it's touch functions.

Q: Can I rotate the screen in windows vista ?
A: No solution has been found yet !

Snapvue/WM:
Q: How do I get rid of the black areas in the sides after I have unlocked WM ?
A: You can't at the moment, the resolution is not supported by WM (again hopefully custom ROM's will do the trick)

Q: How do I turn WM/Snapvue off, so I don't loose any power when traveling etc. ?
A: The only way to turn WM/Snapvue off is to remove the battery for a short period of time and don't touch the power switch after, hopefully a way will be found soon.

Q: How do I dump/backup my original ROM
A: have a look at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=468622

Q: How do I liberate > hard spl > flash Rom
A: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=489007

Q: How do i change the keyboard layout
A: http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...eyboard_Layout

MISCELLANEOUS:
Q: What can I do to speed up the process of making custom ROM's ?
A: You can donate to the shift project here, and help to test features/programs posted in the forum.

25th March 2008, 12:35 PM |#2  

More
Great job! I vote for a sticky
This is also usefull information for the WIKI
25th March 2008, 02:44 PM |#3  
Flag USA
Thanks Meter: 2

More
sticky this for sure!
Yes this needs to be Stickied and now updated. We can help the poster by PM's or by posting updated info here.
25th March 2008, 09:00 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
nice job. i agree about a sticky.... where is midget when u need him also u can pm me new stuff and ill forward to original poster or add to this post if he isnt available.
25th March 2008, 09:23 PM |#5  
Retired Moderator
Flag Worthing
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Done

kkthxbai
26th March 2008, 11:20 PM |#6  

More
SDHC Cards
My shift does not recognise an 8 GB SDHC card.
When I use it by means of a USB reader, the SDHC card is recognised.
Does the Shift really supports the SDHC format ?
26th March 2008, 11:44 PM |#7  
Flag Ealing
Thanks Meter: 386

More
I have a 16gb AData SDHC card, and it works fine with my Shift.

Regards,

Dave
27th March 2008, 12:57 AM |#8  
OP Member

More
I use a 16GB as well and have tested 4 & 8GB to, what brand is your card ?
27th March 2008, 02:51 AM |#9  

More
Really nice post...
as Ive found this forum a short time ago Ive been using the search tool a lot... and know all the newcommers just have to read this thread...

Thanks..
27th March 2008, 03:13 AM |#10  

More
It's a SanDisk 8 GB SDHC. It's recognised on my PC. Also in my MP3 and on my SHIFT when I use a USB reader. It's not recongnised via the internal card reader.
Thanks. Jos
27th March 2008, 04:25 PM |#11  

More
Exclamation WM & SD Card !!!
any hope for access SD from WM side ? i run out of memory and start to delete many things.....also the Mic not working in Snap VUe side , any way to fix it ??
thanks in advance
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)