FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[23-Apr-08] Organic Lock 0.8.1.5

113 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By rev3nant, Senior Member on 3rd April 2008, 12:46 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I was a bit unsatisfied by a default unlocking method (insecure), so I decided to write my own locker. I wanted something visual and finger friendly. So here it is

Organic Lock 0.8.1.5

The whole point of the program is to unlock you device not with some alphanumeric sequence or a simple key combination, but with a sequence/pattern of points on screen. I'm sure it was done before by somebody, but I didn't find anything and wanted to write my own.
The app consists of 2 main parts (separate programs): the lock part (Organic), the configurator (Technic).
The app works as an addition to a standard locker (and possibly any other, that properly sets lock flag in registry). It starts immediately when standart locker unlocks the screen. Then the sequence entering screen is shown, where you need to repeat the configured sequence by taping the moving shapes (or a static picture).
Device can be automatically locked after soft-reset (configurable).
Going to check compatibility/add with different screen lockers (like S2U2) in future versions.
Locker does not consume any resources while screen is locked. It is only activated when unlock is initiated.

Current version is in beta stage, so chances are there might be some quirks here and there.
Would be nice if somebody tested it on various devices and reported how it performs.

Screens

Requirements
Hardware:
- no idea, but probably something relatively fast
- QVGA/Vertical only for now

Software:
- WM 6 Classic/Professional (WM 5 issues being fixed)
- GAPI (gx.dll)
- .NET CF 2.0 for the configurator (other apps are native).

Installation
Just run the .cab from you device and then configure the app with Technic.
Do not install to storage card.

How to use
Run the configurator (Technic) to configure the sequence (5-10 points), accuracy, speed and unlocker type.
Lock screen with a standard locker and after taping unlock, you need to repeat your sequence by taping the moving shapes in the unlocker screen. Letter in the top left corner shows which point will need to be entered next. After 3 unsuccessful attempts or after 15 secs of inactivity, app returns to locker screen.
End Call returns to lock screen.
In case fill like there's a chance you will get yourself locked out of your device, there's an option to create a special 'panic' file. In case you actually forget your sequence, you can copy it to storage card and unlock. Keep it in a safe location.

Version History
0.8.1.5 (latest):
- New unlocker - Static picture with absolute positioning (others have relative).
- Config stored in program folder now.
- A bit more user friendly configurator. Shows order of entered points with letters. Loads previous settings.
- Possibility to unlock device with a special 'panic' key.
- Letters are shown instead of numbers in unlocker screen.
- Option to automatically lock after soft-reset.

0.8.0.2:
- Slightly different Checkers unlocker.
- Accuracy (difficulty) increased.
- Device is now automatically locked after soft-reset (not optional).

0.8:
- Using GAPI instead of closed-source PocketHAL libs (so you need gx.dll)
- Removed both locker screens
- Added another unlocker screen (Checkers)
- Works with standard screen locker (and possibly any other, that properly sets lock flag in registry). This needs to be checked with other lockers' authors (in future version).
- Number of points can now be from 5 to 10.
- Installable .cab instead of .zip

0.7.7.1:
- .NET CF 3.5 dependencies replaced with 2.0

0.7.7:
- First version released on xda-developers

Reported to work on
HTC Touch Cruise
HTC Prophet
Report if it works or does not on your device
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screens2.jpg
Views:	15148
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	82861  
Attached Files
File Type: cab OrganicLock.0.8.0.2.CAB - [Click for QR Code] (39.4 KB, 476 views)
File Type: cab OrganicLock.0.8.1.5.CAB - [Click for QR Code] (50.0 KB, 1938 views)

3rd April 2008, 01:17 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 248

More
this seems to be a great idea! I copied it to my memory card and couldn't run it cause I don't have .net 3.5.
I'm not interested in installing it cause it would take to much memory for other installs(waiting for a cooked 3.5 rom).
Try making a 2.0 compatible version of technic.exe first.

But this one is a good software to look up to. I use s2u2 as my locker and I miss configurable gestures to unlock.

Organic lock is going to be great! no doubt about it!

looking forward for:

1 - 2.0 compatible technic.exe
2 - full gesture control(i'm guessing this version allows only the click of the "checkpoint" and not the gesture)
3 - locking sequence not explicit(as for only owner knows it.. if not done yet)

Thumbs up to your work!
3rd April 2008, 01:20 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
philocritus,

I didn't quite understand the 3rd point. Could you explain?

Made Technic compatible with .NET CF 2.0. Check new archive.
3rd April 2008, 02:42 AM |#4  

More
I can't seem to put in a gesture on my Kaiser. It doesn't detect any strokes of mine unless I make them very quick and very hard and even then, the strokes aren't the ones that I made, they seem pretty arbitrary.
3rd April 2008, 02:48 AM |#5  

More
I have to use the "Blind" option....lol
3rd April 2008, 02:49 AM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by met3ora

I can't seem to put in a gesture on my Kaiser. It doesn't detect any strokes of mine unless I make them very quick and very hard and even then, the strokes aren't the ones that I made, they seem pretty arbitrary.

You have to tap the moving "lava" parts when you tap the black area your hit is not registered. So you basically have to tap the lava as it passes your pre-determined point.
3rd April 2008, 03:34 AM |#7  

More
I mean when I'm trying to define my gesture.
3rd April 2008, 03:52 AM |#8  
Flag Newton
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Excellent!
A new idea...wow!
Tested it out, and it works as it should....though I do have a few suggestions:

1)Instead of the 'lava' theme, try a easier theme....like dragging around a block in a grid would be an easier metaphor...like those picture puzzles!

2)kinda resource-hogging...slim down maybe?

Overall, a 5/5
3rd April 2008, 04:08 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 248

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev3nant

philocritus,

I didn't quite understand the 3rd point. Could you explain?

Made Technic compatible with .NET CF 2.0. Check new archive.

Thanks Rev! I'll check it out and send you the results

as for the 3rd point I'm talking about having a static image as background and only the user knows where to touch to unlock. any other guy can't unlock it that way(kinda like a organic password)
3rd April 2008, 05:38 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Nice work.
But here, with lock enabled, phone doesn't ring.
Bye
3rd April 2008, 05:59 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
This didn't work with my touch when I ran organic-panic. I opened that .exe, and my screen froze. I turned off the phone and turned it back on. I finally saw the lava screen and the little pockethal logo on the bottom right but the screen was still frozen. Is this running in DirectDraw? Last time this kind of thing happened is S2U2 v.93 or something and I think it was due to DD.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)