FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Game] Vexed ! (updated:20/06/2008)

58 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By palmhook, Member on 7th May 2008, 12:14 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi forum,

it has been about one year that I follow threads on xda-developers and I thank to all of you So, I decided to share something that I've done.

If you owned a PalmOS device in the past, sure you know this old blocks game that has roots in Puzznic. I’m a big fun of Vexed since the 1st PalmOS version. In 2002, I really missed this game when I bought my 1st pocket pc and decided to write it for that platform. Since then, I have a never ending Vexed project for Windows platforms that lives almost only on my pocketpc and my laptop. The game was only distributed to a couple of friends during these years since I was not able to convince myself on its quality to release it. A couple of months ago I’ve finally decided to seriously finish and package it as a freeware as the PalmOS version. But it's still hard to finish :P

So, what I expect by publishing it here for the 1st time is your support and feedback

The level packs and graphics are taken from sourceforge project of Vexed here: http://vexed.sourceforge.net/
The source code is entirely written by myself. This is an early beta version. Feel free to send feedback to fix things. Check options if block animations are not smooth for your device.

Regards,

palmhook
=;)

Windows Mobile Screnshots:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scr-070513013305.PNG
Views:	3655
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	84595Click image for larger version

Name:	Scr-070512594100.PNG
Views:	1592
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	84596Click image for larger version

Name:	Scr-070512595902.PNG
Views:	1296
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	84597Click image for larger version

Name:	Scr-070513000803.PNG
Views:	693
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	84598Click image for larger version

Name:	Scr-070513002304.PNG
Views:	631
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	84599

Build 385 with WM5/6 VGA and PocketPC 2003 support:
Hi guys, thank you all for your interest !

- I prepared a quickn'dirty patch to make it run in VGA. The new build 385 should run double sized (as qvga emulation in VGA PPC2003).
- I just added a PocketPC 2003 version, enjoy it !

Build 423 with WM5/6 and PocketPC 2003 multi-resolution (QVGA/VGA/square) and mui support: I'm pleased to announce the new version with lots of improvements
- Almost all WM resolutions supported: QVGA/VGA portrait/landscape/square resolutions are now supported (except Options dialog which only display correctly in portrait mode)
- Multi language support: I added initially English and some limited translation to French and Turkish languages (help file is still in English), If you want Vexed in your own language, you can translate a plain rc text file and I'll be happy to compile and add resource dll to the next release
- Many bugs fixed
Quote:

2008-06-19 mui problem reported by gundalbert is fixed, better screen layout on square and landscape resolutions, minor improvement for selection dot positioning
2008-06-18 Window layout bugs introduced with multi-resolution have been fixed
2008-06-17 Fixed level pack dialog bugs (level pack info does not display) reported by kandjar
2008-06-16 Fixed a small bug where next button on toolbar allows user to continue beyond the last solved level by quickly tapping on this button before it gets disabled. Now, game engine checks game options and do not allow going beyond when all levels is not checked.
2008-06-07 Fixed the "replayed level with a better score does not update total score" bug reported by mab1712. Fixed the "level pack change is not updated in the ini file" bug reported by multiple users: Rescue9, RaymondB
2008-06-01 Fixed a nasty old bug that blocks the game at the end of a level pack. Now it displays properly a message box then asks for a new level pack (was reported by multiple users: kinderenh, lover, mab1712, jem777)

- External blocksets: I added some sort of block skinning. There's a new 'Blocks' folder under Vexed install directory where I put external png images for blocksets. Some bitmap resolutions do not resize well in my experiments. Vexed will scan this folder to let you pick another one in options dialog. That means that, if you do not like the game resolution or brick colors, you may change it
- Smartphone version is still pending, I focused my effort on PPC stability, if there's an interest I may work on it.

Upgrading from a previous version: You must remove the old Vexed.ini file which is not compatible with build 423 (details are here)

French version in 240x240 resolution
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vexed_fra_240x240.png
Views:	710
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	93984  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Vexed.1.9.8.423.PPC.2003.arm.zip - [Click for QR Code] (299.9 KB, 503 views)
File Type: cab Vexed.1.9.8.423.PPC.WM5.arm.cab - [Click for QR Code] (315.7 KB, 2875 views)

7th May 2008, 01:19 PM |#2  

More
Smile Great!
I also missed this game from earlier Palm dates. I tried Next and was not really impressed with it.

Thanks for this release. I am sure others will love this games and am looking forward for your next update.

Thanks....
7th May 2008, 01:52 PM |#3  
Flag Lisboa
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Never played, I´ll give it a try and let you know my feedback

Thanks for share your work

BR
Pedro
7th May 2008, 01:53 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 409

Donate to Me
More
Thanks.
7th May 2008, 01:56 PM |#5  
Flag Lisboa
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Already tried the game , my opinion if: GREAT GAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribasnet

Never played, I´ll give it a try and let you know my feedback

Thanks for share your work

BR
Pedro

7th May 2008, 10:28 PM |#6  

More
Hi,

Used to enjoy this very much on my Palm.

Any thoughts to making this available for us VGA users?

Would like to have this again.
7th May 2008, 10:57 PM |#7  

More
I've gotta second what's here: THANKS!!!!!

I've missed the game from my dad's Zire. Now my 6800 can have it too.
So much for productivity, now that I've got so many games.
8th May 2008, 11:37 AM |#8  

More
Used to play this a lot on my Palm. Can you make a version compatible with WM2003?
8th May 2008, 01:34 PM |#9  
Flag Bulgaria, Varna
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Thanks for the game
8th May 2008, 02:20 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1,237

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmhook

Hi forum,

it has been about one year that I follow threads on xda-developers and I thank to all of you So, I decided to share something that I've done.

So, what I expect by publishing it here for the 1st time is your support and feedback

The source code is entirely written by myself. This is an early beta version. Feel free to send feedback to fix things. Check options if block animations are not smooth for your device.

Regards,

palmhook
=;)

Test it and drop a feedback here if it works. I'll check when I'll be back.

Cheers!

palmhook

Hi.
It works smoothly but displays incorrectly on a 240x240 device (not unexpected, I suppose...). Please see attachment.

Cheers,
Fabio
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	vexed_240x240.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	84823  
8th May 2008, 02:28 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Thank you. I'll be giving it a try.