it has been about one year that I follow threads on xda-developers and I thank to all of you So, I decided to share something that I've done.
If you owned a PalmOS device in the past, sure you know this old blocks game that has roots in Puzznic. I’m a big fun of Vexed since the 1st PalmOS version. In 2002, I really missed this game when I bought my 1st pocket pc and decided to write it for that platform. Since then, I have a never ending Vexed project for Windows platforms that lives almost only on my pocketpc and my laptop. The game was only distributed to a couple of friends during these years since I was not able to convince myself on its quality to release it. A couple of months ago I’ve finally decided to seriously finish and package it as a freeware as the PalmOS version. But it's still hard to finish :P
So, what I expect by publishing it here for the 1st time is your support and feedback
The level packs and graphics are taken from sourceforge project of Vexed here: http://vexed.sourceforge.net/
The source code is entirely written by myself. This is an early beta version. Feel free to send feedback to fix things. Check options if block animations are not smooth for your device.
Windows Mobile Screnshots:
Build 385 with WM5/6 VGA and PocketPC 2003 support:
Hi guys, thank you all for your interest !
- I prepared a quickn'dirty patch to make it run in VGA. The new build 385 should run double sized (as qvga emulation in VGA PPC2003).
- I just added a PocketPC 2003 version, enjoy it !
Build 423 with WM5/6 and PocketPC 2003 multi-resolution (QVGA/VGA/square) and mui support: I'm pleased to announce the new version with lots of improvements
- Almost all WM resolutions supported: QVGA/VGA portrait/landscape/square resolutions are now supported (except Options dialog which only display correctly in portrait mode)
- Multi language support: I added initially English and some limited translation to French and Turkish languages (help file is still in English), If you want Vexed in your own language, you can translate a plain rc text file and I'll be happy to compile and add resource dll to the next release
- Many bugs fixed
2008-06-19 mui problem reported by gundalbert is fixed, better screen layout on square and landscape resolutions, minor improvement for selection dot positioning
2008-06-18 Window layout bugs introduced with multi-resolution have been fixed
2008-06-17 Fixed level pack dialog bugs (level pack info does not display) reported by kandjar
2008-06-16 Fixed a small bug where next button on toolbar allows user to continue beyond the last solved level by quickly tapping on this button before it gets disabled. Now, game engine checks game options and do not allow going beyond when all levels is not checked.
2008-06-07 Fixed the "replayed level with a better score does not update total score" bug reported by mab1712. Fixed the "level pack change is not updated in the ini file" bug reported by multiple users: Rescue9, RaymondB
2008-06-01 Fixed a nasty old bug that blocks the game at the end of a level pack. Now it displays properly a message box then asks for a new level pack (was reported by multiple users: kinderenh, lover, mab1712, jem777)
- Smartphone version is still pending, I focused my effort on PPC stability, if there's an interest I may work on it.
Upgrading from a previous version: You must remove the old Vexed.ini file which is not compatible with build 423 (details are here)
French version in 240x240 resolution