FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

VoIP providers?

21 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By slowndes, Junior Member on 8th May 2008, 01:08 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I've seen lots of discussions about people using VoIP and VoIP settings but I'm not sure if people tend to use a paid service for VoIP or if there are free providers of VoIP services.

So question 1 for the community is do you pay for VoIP service and if so, which service provider have you found reliable (I'm based in the UK but I guess it doesn't matter to much where the provider is unless the services are suspectable to jitter and latency).
Question 2, do you use the service over WiFi or 3G/HSPDA and do you find problems with either?

8th May 2008, 01:35 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 422

More
I use skype with the headset over 3.5G. Keeps me in contact with friends across the globe.
8th May 2008, 01:49 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Flag North-West

More
Just to clarify I meant on a WM6 device.
11th May 2008, 11:07 PM |#4  
Flag Rotterdam

More
I used Skype a little while on my Wizard. It works, but barely. I've tried Voipbuster with the build-in WM6 SIP-client. It works, but the incoming sound is pretty low in volume. (All of this over WiFi)

I stopped using VOIP on my WM device. It works much better on my laptop. Since the EC capped roaming rates here in the EU, it has become less important for me to use VOIP abroad.

Although I use VOIP from my laptop, I can still state that the quality of service is better from Voipbuster than of Skype (esp. to Asian countries like Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore). On top of that, it's also cheaper.
12th May 2008, 12:17 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 422

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Koster

I used Skype a little while on my Wizard. It works, but barely. I've tried Voipbuster with the build-in WM6 SIP-client. It works, but the incoming sound is pretty low in volume. (All of this over WiFi)

I stopped using VOIP on my WM device. It works much better on my laptop. Since the EC capped roaming rates here in the EU, it has become less important for me to use VOIP abroad.

Although I use VOIP from my laptop, I can still state that the quality of service is better from Voipbuster than of Skype (esp. to Asian countries like Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore). On top of that, it's also cheaper.

I disagree. I have HSPDA here in Spain, on my HTC Touch Dual, and Skype has excellent quality. Maybe it's just in my case. but i've used it multiple times, and it's great.
13th May 2008, 02:25 PM |#6  

More
My dad uses Skype on his Bluenagel over WiFi. Sounds just like the sound quality of the phone. He sometimes get's on a call and leaves the house by mistake accidentally disconnecting his WiFi connection, it is that clear.

I personally don't like skype but I'm not even sure if it works on the Excalibur.
16th May 2008, 12:54 PM |#7  
Flag Rotterdam

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkyevolved

I disagree. I have HSPDA here in Spain, on my HTC Touch Dual, and Skype has excellent quality. Maybe it's just in my case. but i've used it multiple times, and it's great.

Of course, a Touch Dual has a bigger processing power than a Wizard. So I'm not surprized that the quality is better.
16th May 2008, 04:56 PM |#8  

More
I tried skype on my Dash and it is choppy over WiFi and non operational over EDGE.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)