Okay, here's what i did, and i have a working HTC home w/ working weather:
1) Disable HTC Home from today screen
2) Unzip the attached file, then copy it to the windows directory
3) Soft Reset
4) Enabled HTC Home
No more constant restarting, and the weather updates correctly. Please let me know if this works for others.
If you cannot overwrite HTChome.dll, then use use totalcommander or some other file explorer and rename the existing one HTChome.old, and then copy the new file to the windows folder and soft reset, should work like a charm.
I have uploaded a new version of htchome.dll which should not cause you to lose the backlight shortcut in the launcher. Please test it out, and let me know if there are any new problems related to this file, as i am not having any myself.
Credit to Brynwall for the following updates/workarounds:
Can't copy file:
1. Create a folder in the main directory (call it what-you-will).
2. Copy your new HTCHome.dll file to that directory.
3.Go to the Windows folder and copy the HTCHome.dll.0409.mui file to your new folder.
4. Use a REGEDIT program and go to HKLM > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Today > Items > HTC Home
5. Change the location for the HTCHome.dll file to your new folder.
Weather won't download via edge or 3g:
For those of you still having problems with the weather plug-in here is another thing I did to fix it:
1. Go to Settings - Connections - Connections - Advanced - Select Networks - Edit (MEdia Net) - Proxy Settings -> UNCHECK BOTH OPTIONS
2. Soft Reset
It should work fine
Adding Cities to Custom Database
To create a customized database of cities use HTC Home Customizer, which can be downloaded from many locations on this site, or from my 4shared folder. Perform the following steps:
1) Make sure you have copied the patched htchome.dll file as instructed in the first post.
2) I am not sure it's necessary, but i usually disable the HTC Home plugin when making the changes.
3) Open HTC Home and navigate to the weather tab.
4) From the drop-down menu entitled "database type" select "custom"
5) Click "Enter New City" and then enter the relevant data for your city.
6) Click "Save City to Custom Database"
7) Repeat steps 4 & 5 for as many cities as you would like to add.
8) Click and "save" and then enable the HTC Home Plugin again.
9) Your weather tab should now display your customized list of cities.
If the above steps don't work, then try the steps provided below:
Provided by jpcrailjr
Here is a method to get HTC Home Customizer and the HTCHome.dll to play nicely together on an AT&T Tilt running stock 6.1 with no bloatware installed. You must to a hard reset to get this to work so the appropriate back up warnings apply!
This method is courtesy of tbraun on the AT&T forum.
You will need:
a. tcmdpocketarm (attached below)
b. HHCv10b5 (attached below)
c. HTCHome.dll (attached below).
Here's the steps:
Install all programs to the device using File Explorer to find and click on the cabs.
1. Do a Hard Reset and use appropriate techniques to ensure the AT&T bloatware was not installed.
2. Install TCM Total Commander (You can use any other program that will let you edit/move .dll files and install it here.)
3. Soft Reset
4. Install HTC Home Customizer 10b5 (Do not use 1.0 Final!)
5. Soft Reset
6. Used TCM Total Commander (Or what ever program you installed.) to rename HTCHome.dll to HTCHome.old in the Windows directory on the phone.
7. Used TCM Total Commander (Or what ever program you installed.) to move HTCHome .dll from your storage card to the Windows directory.
8. Soft reset the phone. (I had to do this twice. The first time HTC Home did not load. On the second soft reset the phone asked me if I wanted to install HTCHome.dll and I said yes. and HTC Home loaded.)
At this point, you should be able to both use HHC to edit appearance and customize weather following the steps above.
Again, major thanks to tbraun on the AT&T forum for coming up with the basic method. The hard reset is required because the AT&T 6.1 ROM version of HTC Home seems to need these items installed in this order to work. I'd tried various other orders and this one without a hard reset and HTC Home Customizer would only do one thing, or the other, appearances or weather.