FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Logmein [Working] For Excalibur

923 posts
Thanks Meter: 5

By pudgedaddy, Retired Moderator on 7th June 2008, 11:00 PM
Thread Deleted Email Thread
So i've been fooling around with this idea of VPN'ing into your PC or laptop while you're away with it from my Excalibur. I already use a free vpn service from www.logmein.com . I've tried using it in the past but could never get it to install as it's made for the PPC and not smartphone. I edited the .cab to install on our phones, but it didnt help too much as i couldnt navigate once i was connected to my PC as, i didnt have a mouse or touchscreen. Secondly it was so soomed in, i couldnt see but about 1.8th of the screen anyway.
So i've figured this out. And got it to work with most respect. Although it is still zoomed in, you can zoom out, but it does make the screen difficult to read everything as its zoomed out to around 20% so it can fill your whole screen. I use fakecursor to use with the mouse and im able to navigate. Again i will stress this is anything but perfect, but if your in a pinch and need access to your PC and are not near another PC or laptop, this can be of benefit to you. Attached are the modified version of logmein.cab file and fakecursor. You will need to go to www.logmein.com and register a login and also download the client to the PC you wish to connect to to use it. Secondly you will need to go to www.logmein.com using PIE ( and PIE only) to start your session. Let me know if you have any questions.

Edit: It would also be best to use a program (such as smarttoolkit) to enable a hotkey to start fakecursor, once your remote session has started.

Some screenshots (These were taken while connected via edge. So yes! even edge works!)

Attached Files
File Type: cab RACtrlCE.cab - [Click for QR Code] (433.1 KB, 320 views)
File Type: zip FakeCursorSP.zip - [Click for QR Code] (3.9 KB, 237 views)

8th June 2008, 02:12 AM |#2  
Retired Senior Mod & Senior RD - (old) King of WinMo
Flag XDA-Developers
Thanks Meter: 10,063

More
Awesome!
8th June 2008, 03:26 AM |#3  
Flag New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 47

More
how does this work? i installed the cab and the cursor and so far nothing, where do i find the program on my phone?
8th June 2008, 03:39 AM |#4  
OP Retired Moderator
Flag Broken Arrow, OK

More
you dont find it on the phone. Its not a stand-alone program, more of a plugin that only activates when you go to www.logmein.com. login to your account then select your PC that the client is installed on and login to that PC ., as soon as it connects, the plugin will start.

See if you did this without this .cab being installed, it would prompt you to install the .cab anyway, however, the .cab would not install as its intended for PPC's only. I removed the restriction from the .cab, allowing it to install on our phones. Im going to try and upload a vid on youtube with insrtuctions.

Again, YOU NEED TO GO TO LOGMEIN.COM AND CREATE AN ACCOUNT FIRST (USING THE PC YOU INTEND ON LOGGING ON TO) AND ADD YOUR PC (USING THE LOGMEIN FREE OPTION) THEN IT WILL DOWNLOAD A LOGMEIN CLIENT TO YOUR PC. THEN YOU WILL NEED TO GO BACK TO THAT SITE USING PIE (PIE IS THE ONLY MOBILE BROWSER THAT WORKS) AND LOGIN PICK YOUR PC THAT YOU JUST INSTALLED THE CLIENT ON AND CONNECT.
8th June 2008, 03:46 AM |#5  
Flag New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 47

More
hah...cool :)
8th June 2008, 05:50 AM |#6  
OP Retired Moderator
Flag Broken Arrow, OK

More
Instructional Video Created
I created a video showing how this works. Youtube wouldnt let me post a video that long so i put it up on another site. Here's the link: http://www.viddler.com/explore/pudgedaddy/videos/1/
8th June 2008, 06:19 AM |#7  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 50

More
Thanks! Really cool apps and tools. I got everything working but I can't figure out how to get rid out the help screen. I can see the desktop beneath.
8th June 2008, 06:23 AM |#8  
OP Retired Moderator
Flag Broken Arrow, OK

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJSmith3rd

Thanks! Really cool apps and tools. I got everything working but I can't figure out how to get rid out the help screen. I can see the desktop beneath.

you gotta kinda fool with the screen resolution in the options bar at the top using fakecursor. Once the resolution has changed ( to whatever ) try changing it back to its original resolution
You may also have to go to logmein.com from your PC and act like your logging into your machine and then go to preferences and make sure (use mirror display driver) is unchecked. i think its the first option
8th June 2008, 06:39 AM |#9  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 50

More
Ok - I'm checking that out now

Update: OK - Dig this. I'm remote connected to my desktop while using my Dash's internet connection sharing to accomplish this. LOL. Posting wirelessly through the Dash that a gateway to the internet on the network. Now I just gotta get rid of the help screen.
9th June 2008, 03:25 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I use avvenu to access all of my files from my dash, and it's never let me down so far. Just go to avvenu.com to register, and install the software on your computer, then you login online on your dash and there you have it, all of your files without having to have a fake cursor or anything.
9th June 2008, 03:36 AM |#11  
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Memphis
Thanks Meter: 1,370

More
There is also something similar you can do with your bluetooth.

It let's you use bluetooth sync to dongle to your pc and control it. It looks just like this but is not internet explorer driven. It won't work as far away as this app will let you, but for around the house, it is great.

Like say you have a party going. Your pc is the music for the night. You can be outside with your friends and link up to your pc through the bluetooth and control your music, whatever. I imagine this might be right up someone's alley, plus it doesn't lag at all. Just search for the bluetooth pc remote. It should pull up exactly what you are looking for.
If that doesn't help, I'll look into posting a link or the shareware file itself. This is shareware.

Otherwise, I like this. It looks good for if I'm trying to remotely access my desktop from far away. I can't imagine why I would, but if I ever need to, this is the app I will use.
Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread