FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

RKeyScroll v0.4b - my gift to you - scroll any window with the keys

354 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By RPG0, Senior Member on 24th June 2008, 09:13 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi !

Here's an utility to scroll the current window. And i do mean SCROLL, not jump page by page.

Since i got my first PPC, i didn't like the way you're supposed to read stuff, i wanted to scroll down, but pressing the down key jumped one page down. I wanted a smooth scroll, so i made one myself.

How it works:
1. Run the app
2. Minimize it (either with your favourite task manager or tap Start/Today) - DON'T CLOSE IT

3. From now on, the UP/DOWN keys scroll the content of the current window - smooth scroll
Volume Up / Volume Down also scroll (a bit faster) - this won't work on some devices that have custom use for the volume keys.
4. You can disable/enable when needed by mapping a button to RKeyScroll Switch (each tap switches between scroll mode / normal mode.

5. When you're finished with it, run it again, or activate it in your task manager and press ok in it (left softkey)

Limitations:
2. It doesn't work in Start/Programs and in Word/Excel (maybe Powerpoint) - I don't know why

If you find other programs (MAJOR PROGRAMS - WHICH MANY PEOPLE USE) that don't work, post here - please don't spam and don't post a program that doesn't need the scroll anyway.

I tested this on my Toshiba G900 (if scrolling with Volume keys, don't hold them pressed) and my wife's HTC Touch.

PS: thanks to Nagakubo Tomohiro (creator of PQz and PQzII) for trying to help.

Change Log:
Code:
0.04b - 26 June 2008
 - command line options (by default the app has scroll enabled):
      ss   - switch scroll mode - only used if app is already running
      son  - turn scroll mode on - can also be used on startup
      soff - turn scroll mode off - can also be used on startup

only use one command line option at a time
   this is useful like this:
        - In Windows/StartUp copy RKeyScroll Off.lnk to start the app every time the system starts with scrolling disabled
        - In Windows/Start Menu/Programs there's RKeyScroll Switch.lnk -map this to a hardware button of your choice (thanks to fisch3009 for the idea)

- made the install easier - packed as a CAB - creates all shortcuts, for automatic startup you must copy manually
 - G900 version has scroll switch mapped to camera tap (it cannot be remapped with windows anyway)

0.03b - 25 June 2008
 - separate version for Toshiba G900 - this i can test on ;)
 - fixed OK button on Toshiba G900
 - when no scroll is possible, buttons do what they normally do
 - added smoother scrolling on volume up/volume down
 - changed the code to avoid future bugs ;)
 - still a bug: when start menu/quick menu is opened, it still scrolls the window beneath

0.02b - 24 June 2008
 - first release
Hope you like it !
RPG
Attached Files
File Type: zip RKeyScroll rel v0.2b.zip - [Click for QR Code] (7.3 KB, 142 views)
File Type: zip RKeyScroll rel v0.3b.zip - [Click for QR Code] (13.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: cab RKeyScroll v0.4b.CAB - [Click for QR Code] (32.2 KB, 260 views)
File Type: cab RKeyScroll G900 v0.4b.CAB - [Click for QR Code] (32.2 KB, 95 views)

24th June 2008, 09:14 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
reserved for future updates
24th June 2008, 09:15 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
reserved for more future updates
24th June 2008, 09:18 PM |#4  
Flag Montreal ( and Lille France)
Thanks Meter: 4

More
great idée, thanks man
24th June 2008, 09:40 PM |#5  
Flag Westende
Thanks Meter: 374

Donate to Me
More
hi rpg

is it possible to use fingers ? instead of up/down buttons

is it a problem using TouchFlo ?

salut monpsy , toujours à fouiner LOL
24th June 2008, 10:02 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunoisa10

hi rpg

is it possible to use fingers ? instead of up/down buttons

is it a problem using TouchFlo ?

salut monpsy , toujours à fouiner LOL

If you want to get your finger in the way while reading something AND get your screen dirty, use TouchFLO or SPB Plus for finger scrolling
24th June 2008, 11:21 PM |#7  
Flag Cosmos
Thanks Meter: 1,888

More
Arrow
Great Idea! I'm looking for a automated "timer" type scroller? Where you put like 10 seconds in the setup, and it would automatically scroll a page every 10 (or whatever seconds). No need to touch screen or dpad...
24th June 2008, 11:44 PM |#8  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 0

More
This is very cool. I sometimes have trouble reading through my thumb

I notice it still tries to scroll in the application that it can control even when it is not the current focus application.

Could you make it deactivate when the focus program is something it doesn't work in?

Also make it run in the background so I don't have to run it everytime I want to use it.

E.g. when I am in IE and I activate QuickMenu it still scrolls IE and ignores QuickMenu. Also you mention it doesn't work in File Explorer, likewise in Total Commander you can see the scroll bar move but the screen doesn't scroll.

Possibly have an exemptions list similar to FTouchFlo (I can see you don't like this) so we can add programs that we prefer the D pad to work natively in. Also any chance of kinetic scrolling?

Keep it up!
25th June 2008, 06:32 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by evojulz

I notice it still tries to scroll in the application that it can control even when it is not the current focus application.

Fixed in 0.3b, i will post it later today.

Quote:

Could you make it deactivate when the focus program is something it doesn't work in?

In 0.3b, if it can't scroll, the buttons resume their normal functions, so yes.

Quote:

Also make it run in the background so I don't have to run it everytime I want to use it.

It's already like this - you just run it once, minimize it, and change windows, it will scroll the active one (unless there are bugs :P)

Quote:

E.g. when I am in IE and I activate QuickMenu it still scrolls IE and ignores QuickMenu.

Fixed in 0.3b

Quote:

Also you mention it doesn't work in File Explorer, likewise in Total Commander you can see the scroll bar move but the screen doesn't scroll.

For me it works in Total Commander. When i have more time, i will try to see why it doesn't work (how to make it work) in the others.

Quote:

Possibly have an exemptions list similar to FTouchFlo (I can see you don't like this) so we can add programs that we prefer the D pad to work natively in. Also any chance of kinetic scrolling?

I don't like the idea of an exception list - i want to keep this as simple as possible. On my Toshiba G900 i can disable the scrolling with the camera button - so this would solve the problem of using the DPad as a DPad when needed. I will see how I could add this functionality to other phones (i just need the camera button code)

Quote:

Keep it up!

Thanks, I will. And thanks for the very good feedback.
25th June 2008, 07:50 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
This program is a great idea, i missed this feature long time.

Quote:

I don't like the idea of an exception list - i want to keep this as simple as possible. On my Toshiba G900 i can disable the scrolling with the camera button - so this would solve the problem of using the DPad as a DPad when needed. I will see how I could add this functionality to other phones (i just need the camera button code)

Perhpas you can add an command line option to switch on and off the dpad scroll function, so everybody can map the software to his or her preferred hardwarebutton.
25th June 2008, 08:21 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisch3009

This program is a great idea, i missed this feature long time.

Perhpas you can add an command line option to switch on and off the dpad scroll function, so everybody can map the software to his or her preferred hardwarebutton.

That's a great idea !
I thought i would make the button configurable in the registry, but the user should know the code of the button. Your way is a lot simpler. I will add it in 0.3b tonight before posting it.
You saved me a lot of time.

Thanks !
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)